• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'll be perfectly honest, I have little to no expierence with a 1911 style, or .45 for that matter, but have the itch and/or unexplained draw to a 1911 style now. It is starting to border on an obsession at the moment. I understand the whoe ammo shortage and all, but I'm not to worried about that right now.

My question is what would you guys recommend to me as a new 1911 shooter? I already know some of the answers will be "Whatever feels right to you", and I do agree with you, and already have a couple in mind that I have finger f'ed, but I'm just looking for some other suggestions. I will update this thread with the (3) that I'm considering tomorrow night (hopefully). Right now I'm just looking for some suggestions. :patriot:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Not quite sure what you are asking but if you want some brand recommendations then consider Safari Arms, its a great gun and a great value, they offer some very unusual variations and some very high end features. Springfield Armory has good guns, good reputation, lots of options available too.

I've got dozens of 1911s and am not fond of the Government style bushings and straight barrels, I much prefer the coned target grade barrels without the front bushing. Several brands feature that style barrel, Detonics, Safari Arms, must of the Para Ordnance line, and a few others come to mind. While I really like the optional Para "LDA" trigger system I would not recommend it for a first 1911 since it is not a true 1911 trigger. Para does make traditional 1911 trigger systems too and they make darn good guns.

Of course, it goes without saying, a Colt is a nice 1911.

hodgej1843

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    SOUTH SIDE INDY

1911colt004.jpg
    MAN ALL 1911'S DESERVE RESPECT,BUT WHY NOT GET THE ONE THAT INVENTED THEM ALL.COLTS ROCK:twocents:

1032JBT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Not quite sure what you are asking but if you want some brand recommendations then consider Safari Arms, its a great gun and a great value, they offer some very unusual variations and some very high end features. Springfield Armory has good guns, good reputation, lots of options available too.

I've got dozens of 1911s and am not fond of the Government style bushings and straight barrels, I much prefer the coned target grade barrels without the front bushing. Several brands feature that style barrel, Detonics, Safari Arms, must of the Para Ordnance line, and a few others come to mind. While I really like the optional Para "LDA" trigger system I would not recommend it for a first 1911 since it is not a true 1911 trigger. Para does make traditional 1911 trigger systems too and they make darn good guns.

Of course, it goes without saying, a Colt is a nice 1911.

That's exactly what I was looking for, some honest suggestions. I will say that I am currently looking at (3) manufacturers/models, Double Star (which until today I hadn't heard of, but felt good and smooth trigger), Smith, and Springfield. I will update with model's from those brands at a later date. Thank you for your response.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I've never heard of double star.. I've got a Springfield and it's very nice, though, so I can vouch for that..

Rock River Arms tend to get a good writeup too - they're inexpensive and must be halfway decent, as they don't get harped upon for being junk like some of the other inexpensive firearms out there.. but I don't own one so I can't tell you personally..

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    There are quite a few I would recommend, but a $ range would be useful ;)

Springfield Mil-Spec is a great starter pistol

S&W 1911 - It a very nice middle level with most of the add-ons you could want.

STI Spartan - It too falls into this price range

Dan Wesson - If you're looking to spend more this would make a great choice.

Springfield TRP - Again if you want to spend, IMO this is one of the best "production line" 1911's.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I have a RIA 1911. Its great for what it is. No flash, not expensive, no fancy stuff but just a plain 1911 which shoots great. The sights are a little to be desired but i still shoot really good with them. Hope this helps.

A_Tomic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Orland, IN
    I have this same question

Well, I am watching this thread cause I have the same question.

My next handgun will be a 1911. I have a 9mm and a 380 auto.

I have takled to some guys behind the counter at a gun shop up by me and they say that the Taurus is a good entry level 1911. I kinda have my eye on a stainless steel GI series 1911-A1.

They even have a few good looking used 1911's.

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    I'll be perfectly honest, I have little to no expierence with a 1911 style, or .45 for that matter, but have the itch and/or unexplained draw to a 1911 style now. It is starting to border on an obsession at the moment. I understand the whoe ammo shortage and all, but I'm not to worried about that right now.

My question is what would you guys recommend to me as a new 1911 shooter? I already know some of the answers will be "Whatever feels right to you", and I do agree with you, and already have a couple in mind that I have finger f'ed, but I'm just looking for some other suggestions. I will update this thread with the (3) that I'm considering tomorrow night (hopefully). Right now I'm just looking for some suggestions. :patriot:
    Here we go again with the 1911 suggestions; everybody's got an opinion. For what it's worth, I'd go with a midrange priced piece to start, say in $500-$800 range. 1911s aren't for everybody, and you might decide you don't like it after shooting and/or carrying a while. So why spend a grand and up on a Kimber or Ed Brown or high end STI? All the suggestions here are good ones. Springfield makes some good pieces, Colt has some nice ones coming in at 700-900, STI Spartan from (probably) 575-650. I own a Spartan, nice piece for the bucks. I also have an RIA which is a nice piece also, but it was my first one and I spent time and bucks getting it upgraded it to what I needed to have on it (sights...GI style sights are...truly bad). Only word of really serious advice I'd have would be that if it's your first one, 1) make sure it's all steel instead of alloy and 2) make sure it's got all the goodies you might want (good three dot or tritium sights, beavertail grip safety, whatever, etc etc) out of the box. If you're on the south side of Indy, check at Elmore's, every time I've been in there they have a ton of 1911s in different configurations, brands, and sizes. My not so humble two cents worth.....

hodgej1843

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    SOUTH SIDE INDY

please dont jump on me why is it know body has mentioned colt.i love all 1911 style pistols. when i think of 1911 pistols my mind automatically goes for a colt.just curious because you hardly ever see them 4 sale and when they are they are usually pricey,even for a used one.why is that.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Colt

You dont see a lot of Colts for sale because people keep them
    They will always be a good investment
    I own 3 Colts and would not part with any of them
    Kimber makes a very nice 1911 also and as mentioned Springfield
    You can never go wrong with the Pony IMHO

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Springfield Loaded would be a good starting point and don't be afraid to buy used. A similar Kimber would be another choice. STI is yet another great choice in the same price point - ~$800.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I'm in the same boat, wanting a 1911 as my next purchase. I found a nice 2 tone RIA at a shop fairly nearby that I go to with beavertail grip saftety, and better sights for $530. But I'm also drawn to the springfield GI and mil spec, along with the Para GI expert. All for around the same price. The question I've gotta ask myself is do I want to go with the lesser brand and have the options I want, or the better brand and have to modify it to get it how I want?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    There are quite a few I would recommend, but a $ range would be useful ;)

Springfield Mil-Spec is a great starter pistol

S&W 1911 - It a very nice middle level with most of the add-ons you could want.

STI Spartan - It too falls into this price range

Dan Wesson - If you're looking to spend more this would make a great choice.

Springfield TRP - Again if you want to spend, IMO this is one of the best "production line" 1911's.
    If your are on a budget I would recommend a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec also. You can't go wrong as it was my first handgun and I still have it. Not a Pro (F.B.I.) by any means but much more affordable for the average guy/shooter!

1032JBT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    The one I am leaning most towards is the Springfield Champion Operator. I do have a budget as I am probably going to have to sell some stuff that I really don't use in order to be able to buy it. Right now I'm looking in the $500-$800 range.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    The Champion Operator looks like a solid 1911. I'm fan of no rails on a 1911 but I can't give you a good reason other than aesthetics. I've got a Springfield Loaded and have enjoyed trouble free shooting and not felt the need to add anything. 'Course, I'm truly a 1911 novice.

Best of luck!

Top Bottom