• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3326

Marksman
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Well, the never-ending winter has given me a lot of time to consider what new project I want to kick-off this year... and I have settled on it - a DIY Melt/Dehorning job on a 1911 compact. I have put "melts" on several handguns in the past and have had really good results. I documented on project on a Keltec PF9 here on INGO:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/146915-kel-tec-pf9-melt-job-you-can-do.html (pics got deleted from the original post but are back up at the end)

7a466089.jpg

My first big question is what to start with? I have owned a dozen 1911's - all higher end (Kimbers and Sigs) and honestly don't have the stomach to buy a new/used $1000 gun and take to it with a grinder! I know that I want a compact/ultra/officers 3" gun so my options are limited. I have settled on the ATI FX45 which can be bought for around $450 new. (I will replace the guiderod/spring and magazine right off as I think these are pretty weak parts in this gun)

ati_ATIGFX45TIB_zpsc981dd74.jpg

~a quick aside here... this will not be my primary carry. My Kahr PM9, Kimber Solo and Glock 26 fill this role - this is just going to be a project. I understand that concept of "you get what you pay for" and that everything from metals used, tolerances and parts are of a higher quality on other, more expensive 1911's~

My plan is to go with a "medium melt" on this, eliminating the corners and edges on the slide. I am not a fan of "extreme melts" as they usually leave the gun's profile almost unrecognizable from what it was - I still want my 1911 to look like a 1911. First step will be to completely tear the gun down removing all internals, controlls and the sights. Things to remember when altering a handgun is that the final product MUST still be clearly marked with the original manufacturers name and serial number. Another reason that I am a fan of the FX45 is that this information is roll stamped on the frame - which really doesn't get much of "melt" work done to it. The slide does have a FX45 logo on it - when I get the gun in-hand I will see how deep this is in the metal. My hope would be to eliminate it if possible (again, this is not a marking required by federal regulation). Here is another question.... if this marking is too deep to remove with my planned melt job - does anyone know if these markings could be filled with something like JB Weld - then sanded smooth? I'd be interested to hear thoughts on this...

I do my "melts" by hand with sandpaper on a block. It takes time but a Dremel or wheel have the potential to take off too much, too soon. Once it's gone - it's gone. Getting rid of the corners first and then going ove the entire frame with long, front to back passes to streamline everything. This really isn't hard to do and doesn't take much skill.

My first dilemma will come after I have the slide and frame final sanded to where I want it. I used to have a neighbor with a machine shop who was also a gun guy. I gave him each of my other "project guns" to sandblast with glass beads to even out the metal and prepare it for final finish. I hate to just take my gun to anyone with a blasting setup because some areas of the slide and frame cannot be touched or altered by this process. The dovetails for the sights, all internals, slide rails, pin holes - if any of these are hit hard with the blasting aggregate - it could easily losen the tolerances and ruin the gun. He has retired and moved away - any chance that anyone reading this post is relatively close to the Columbus area and would be willing to help?

Once it comes back from the "blaster" it is time to refinish. I would like to keep the a silver but am not sure that the metal I find underneath the manufactures parkerizing will look good as is - if it does, I will use Duracoat's clearcoat to finish. Not thinking this will be the case - I am going to have to refinish both the slide and the frame. I have looked at dozens of color combinations (silver over black, all silver, all black, etc) and will eventually settle on something (suggestions?) A question here that I have for anyone reading is how good do the Duracoat metal colors look? Does it even moderately resemble actual metal or are they just varying shades of grey paint that poorly resemble stainless steel, titanium, pewter? I have used several Duracoat colors - but have never seen the "metal" colors? Pics would be appreciated. I have never worked with Cerakote - wouldn't be opposed to using it... thoughts?

I do plan to document the project step by step here on this post - so check back for updates. I'm looking to launch in April.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Sounds like a fun project. I've toyed with sending my CZ 75 Compact off to be refinished with NibX or similar finishes. That might be worth considering if you want the bare stainless look when done.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    sounds like a cool project.

two answers to your questions.

If you are not going to go with a bake on finish, then JB weld and sanding should work fine for filling in the emblem. If you will be baking on a finish you need to find an epoxy that will not distort with heat, jb weld is not one of those epoxies.

and two, if you are going to use a spray on finish such as duracoat, cerekote, Alumahyde, Moly resin, ect. then DO NOT blast with glass beads, they have the opposite effect of what you want. You should blast with 80-120 grit ABRASIVE material such as aluminum oxide. the idea is you are roughing the surface up to give the metal some "teeth" for the paint to adhere to. Glass beads polish the surface and will lead to premature wear or chipping.

ryan3326

Marksman
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Indiana
    sounds like a cool project.

two answers to your questions.

If you are not going to go with a bake on finish, then JB weld and sanding should work fine for filling in the emblem. If you will be baking on a finish you need to find an epoxy that will not distort with heat, jb weld is not one of those epoxies.

and two, if you are going to use a spray on finish such as duracoat, cerekote, Alumahyde, Moly resin, ect. then DO NOT blast with glass beads, they have the opposite effect of what you want. You should blast with 80-120 grit ABRASIVE material such as aluminum oxide. the idea is you are roughing the surface up to give the metal some "teeth" for the paint to adhere to. Glass beads polish the surface and will lead to premature wear or chipping.

Thanks for the advice! You are right about the aluminum oxide - I actually remember that now from my last project.

ryan3326

Marksman
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Well, the gun came today and it's time to get started. First impressions of this little gun are pretty good. The machining and finish are really good. The trigger isn't bad (gritty). Several of the parts are of higher quality than my Kimbers (plastic mainspring housing... seriously Kimber come on!)

F4EE0D40-72D1-4C5B-B896-FB3B48527876_zps51uvojwc.jpg

First step - a complete disassembly.

E452D55F-9F9D-40E7-848D-4FD17EAF965D_zpskylrpnal.jpg

5D426E7F-3087-4856-95CB-A51F0C10A284_zpsxlancf2q.jpg

I went ahead and put the first fill coat of JB Weld on the logos on the slide. Frame has manufacturer information and serial number - these will remain (by law). This is all I will get done tonight. By the way, I didn't have an allen wrench small enough to get the sights off. They will come off before I get to reshaping.

29FD7F30-08F1-4548-BAEA-647E4DA62342_zpsryswkqq9.jpg

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Not trying to be critical but I would have blasted the slide before applying any epoxy.

I think he'll be Ok with this if the original finish was parkerized. Parkerization can be a good first step in getting almost any finish to stick to a part. If sand blasting is to be done anyway, then your right since the sand blasting will take the epoxy right back out of the rollmarks.

ryan3326

Marksman
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Indiana
    more work tonight! An update first... it took 3 skim coats of JB Weld to fill in the model logo and writing on the slide. Each time I applied the JB Weld with a toothpick and them skimmed it off with a playing card. This made for very little clean up sanding.

A reminder before we talk about sand paper... My goal was to put a nice "carry melt" on this 1911. I am not a fan of full blown melt jobs or "melt-downs" that make identifying the original design of the gun difficult. Tonight I took to the gun with first some 220 grit paper taped to a perfectly flat piece of leftover Corian countertop. Sliding slowly back and forth I was able to easily clean up the excess JB Weld and smooth out my work. In the pics below you can clearly see the JB Weld filled designs but they are 100% perfectly flat and smooth with the other surface of the slide. Refinishing everything should make them disappear. Then I began to hand sand the corners and edges. Once I had the profile the way I wanted it - I went over everything with 320 grit paper. I spent about 2 hours with the two types of sand paper.

Here are a few pics:

414C9CEC-7C46-4530-926A-C9815C77ED38_zpshi8ryjga.jpg

A324CA33-4A0E-49E3-8A31-AF54F06FBF7E_zpsiv0ivnfe.jpg

Then it was time to introduce it to the buffing wheel with a standard compound. I went over everything including the few parts/controlls that I also smoothed out. Here is where I am tonight:

0B632E5D-4A0F-4FA3-8C15-766BF8767948_zpsbsk98jsa.jpg

4070CA57-8481-486B-B9C7-D0A1670AFB90_zpsuxxwrpwx.jpg

1C75B837-1A6F-4D69-87FA-690113FA9346_zpsu7jc6vkq.jpg

Now it is time to start thinking about how to refinish. Over the past few weeks I have looked at countless combinations of silver over black, silver over silver, all black, black over silver... I was thinking that I was going to send the slide off to have a Robar NP3 finish put on it - BUT it dawned on me that the JB Weld filled areas may not take the nickel polymer plating well if at all. So I think I am going to go with DuraCoat. I have worked with it before and found it to have really good results if you use a very fine, very dry spray and an air compressor (don't bother with the aerosol cans). I haven't convinced myself that the Duracoat "metal" colors are anything other than shades of grey - so I don't think I am going to experiment with them trying to look like stainless. Right now, I am leaning towards an all black gun (maybe even a tactical flat black slide over satin frame to be unique). I don't know that I need to hit the gun with aluminum oxide - I think the Duracoat will go on great as it sits - anyone have opinions on this?

If I stick with the all black theme - I think I will dub this little .45 the Raven (admittedly hard since I am a Steelers fan). I spoke to a laser engraver in Indy about cutting this design into the slide before I refinish - any opinions?

9EF1B259-7881-4B32-9305-563B75EAFD23_zpsyv8lktn3.png

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have had little luck with Dura Coat finishes. They tend to wear off very quickly if carried in any style holster. Cera Coat on the other hand has shown to be very durable compared to the Dura system.
    Cera Coat does require a bake out in a controlled oven.

Edit....you have sparked up my imagination with this project. I have a Springfield RO that is in need of some love. HHhhmmmmmm

Top Bottom