• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Been pondering some future options in terms of a 1911. Here are a few that I am strongly considering. I put them in alpha order based on first letter of manufacturer.

1. Dan Wesson Valor
      View attachment 27913
    2. Les Baer UTC
      View attachment 27912
    3. Springfield TRP
      View attachment 27911

To be honest, I bet I can't make a bad decision between the three. I also, know the TRP is the least expensive of the group. What I would like to get is some input from some of my colleagues here on INGO. If you have owned 1, 2 or even all 3, then please share your thoughts. I am looking for personal experience.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have Valor #71 since CZ. Sweet as heck. Cold dead hands and all that. I have the trigger down to about 2lb to play with it.

TheDoaner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Southern IN
    Those are 3 great pistols but the Les Baer is simply better built with better parts and comes with an accuracy guarantee. If you want a range gun, that's it. I recently spent an afternoon shooting a Les Baer Boss, a Wilson CQB, and a TRP . All fine guns but the Les and the Wilson make me look like a way better shooter than I am. I could produce hole in hole accuracy and there is a subtle difference in recoil. The TRP had a rail and was slightly heavier than the other two yet felt recoil was greater and my groupings were not nearly as good. I've heard so many people rave about the TRP and it was on my short list until I shot it. It certainly isn't junk but it's just not in the custom 1911 class. I noticed there's more space between the front sight and each side of the rear in my sight picture which I understand for a Tactical Response Pistol but it leaves a greater margin of error for pinpoint accuracy. While I'm a big fan of checkered frontstraps, the TRP is just a bit too aggressive for a gloveless afternoon at the range. The Wesson and the Springer are going to come in a much nicer box than that Les Baer but I think you'll learn to forgive Les after you get it broke in.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have the TRP tactical bull barreled half rail model. It runs like a deer. Never experienced a failure of any kind in aprox 1K rds. fired.
    I will say this version does not group up like the standard barrel piece. The lack of a bushing to accommodate the bull barrel is the reason. I have fitted a spring retainer bushing combo that has for the most part tightened this gun up. It was sweet shooter without the extra's I am just a bit of a freak with my 1911's.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Of the three I like the UTC. I do like Valor's but the black coated Valor's are way overpriced compared to the just SS model. You'd be farther ahead to get a SS Valor and just have someone like AllenM refinish it for you. But of the ones's i've seen lately with the UTC and the Valor's approaching similar pricing i'd just get the Les Baer. Valor's were awesome for awhile when they were priced between TRP's and your lower priced Baer's but the last year or so the price really went up on them.

Top Bottom