Ordered my first Custom Gun today! Joe Chambers 1911!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    So the initial payment went out on my first custom 1911 today. I have been speaking to my buddy Joe Chambers for what seems like a month now on exactly what I wanted out of my pistol, how I wanted it to look, and what caliber I wanted. After many conversations (all lasting around 2-3 hours) we have it nailed down:) I did not know this at the time but, Joe had already built a gun for NSSF which nearly matched my exact wants... So, I placed my order for the NSSF "Fighting Mans Gun" with Joe! I got it chambered in 38 Super Comp with a 9mm barrel and spring set.

I have a long, long wait ahead of me... and a few payments to send out to him but, here is an idea of what the pistol will look like! These are actually pics of his NSSF build... mine will be in 38, no rear sight dovetail (he has a way of dropping on the sights vs dovetailing them), Pinstripper rear cocking serrations, and the bottom of the slide will be have a small radius to it. Other than that, all the same features! I have seen some targets of Joes pistols chambered in 38 that shoot sub 1" 10 shot groups at 50 yards. Pretty damn impressive if I say so myself!

Here are a bunch of pics... I would love to hear feedback on it/thoughts on my first crazy money pistol!:)

Last edited:

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I have never heard of him before, but that is a SWEET looking pistol. I can imagine what the wait will be like. It looks like it will be worth it though.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Joe started out as Bob Marvels right hand man... since then he is looked at amongst the best in the industry... I rate him #1 but, his style is on par with what I like... you are splitting hairs with Chuck Rodgers, Ned Christensen, C.T Bryant, Joe Chambers, Ted Yost, Bob Marvel, Brandon Styer, Johnny Lim... The list goes on <--- are my favorites though!

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Joe has built several pistols that have been used to win over 70 class championships at the NRA Camp Perry National Championships and to many regional, state and local matches to count. He builds guns for collectors, concealed carry and action pistol competitors as well. He has designed and built guns for individuals serving in various branches of the U.S. Armed Forces both in the US and around the world. Here are two other pistols Joe built that show how incredibly accurate they can be in the correct hands.

cascadewalker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    I am a great admirer of Joe Chambers' work. Works of art to the eye, and extremely well built and accurate in function. I'm sure you will be smiling every time you shoot it.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I called him about doing a Browning Hi Power last Sept, He told me he wasnt taking work until at least August....

Huh. Maybe he separates his 1911 workload from his Hi Power workload? :dunno: He checked out and approved the donor gun last week and we went over the last specifications yesterday; so far as I know he's getting the barrel blanks and starting this week. But at this point all I can really do is wait :).

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Huh. Maybe he separates his 1911 workload from his Hi Power workload? :dunno: He checked out and approved the donor gun last week and we went over the last specifications yesterday; so far as I know he's getting the barrel blanks and starting this week. But at this point all I can really do is wait :).

Ah... that could be! That ship has sailed anyway. I have to pay off Joe before I can even think of doing another custom pistol:) I would LOVE a Garthwaite Hi Power though...

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Ah... that could be! That ship has sailed anyway. I have to pay off Joe before I can even think of doing another custom pistol:) I would LOVE a Garthwaite Hi Power though...

Yeah, although I think he can do damn near anything, he seems to be the "go to" guy for Hi Powers and 9x23 Commanders, specifically. :)

Harley46982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    9x23 is one of the most underrated calibers out there to bad it didn't catch on more!
    A commander length may be the perfect carry gun IMHO

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Beautiful! What's the build time? Do have an idea other than "long time"? :D

BTW, I've been waiting almost 23 months now for a Wilson Combat 1911 - ordered in June 2012.

Top Bottom