• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I recently acquired a Springfield XD Subcompact. I've always been partial to Glocks, but this thing fits pretty nicely in my hand. I do have a question about the grip safety though.

I was working the mechanics of the weapon to see how the grip safety functions, and if you own one you know you can pull the trigger all the way back without dropping the hammer if the grip safety hasn't disengaged. If the trigger is locked to the rear, and you press the grip safety, it will fire. Basically they work in Tandom, and the first one to disengage is the safety and the second one is the trigger, regardless of what they are called in the book.

After a few attempts it became very obvious to me that you could accidentally holster the weapon incorrectly, pulling the trigger back and nothing would happen. The second you touch the grip safety it would go bang.

Naturally a good holster is the prevention here, that keeps things out of the trigger guard, but it had me wondering if this was an issue to be concerned about.

Thoughts?

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    After a few attempts it became very obvious to me that you could accidentally holster the weapon incorrectly, pulling the trigger back and nothing would happen. The second you touch the grip safety it would go bang.

Well, I would be no more concerned about this than accidentally (or "negligently", whatever) discharging any firearm by engaging the trigger when holstering it.

And that's not something I'm too concerned about with proper weapon handling.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I've carried my XD .40 for many years. Proper handling is essential. When I first started using it I did not have proper hand placement. Ocassionally it would not fire until I had a firm grip. I think its one of the best features and to holster is not an issue. I even use a blackbawk without issues. Always be mindful and practice drawings and holstering your firearm.

sescbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Lawrence County
    This "accidental" situation really has nothing to do with it being an XD. If you were holstering a glock incorrectly the thing would fire right away. The grip safety just gives you a couple extra seconds before firing in this example. There still has to be pressure on the trigger when you hit the grip safety to fully engage the trigger. I played around with my XD & it would really be a freak thing to happen I would think.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    This "accidental" situation really has nothing to do with it being an XD. If you were holstering a glock incorrectly the thing would fire right away. The grip safety just gives you a couple extra seconds before firing in this example. There still has to be pressure on the trigger when you hit the grip safety to fully engage the trigger. I played around with my XD & it would really be a freak thing to happen I would think.

agreed - since this was my first time with an XD - I was curious. Sure, holstering anything wrong is going to cause issue. I was trying to envision a scenario where the trigger was pulled, and by reaching for the firearm an releasing the grip safety it would go bang. I guess as you pointed out, if the trigger was in such a state with any other gun, I'd already have those issue to worry about.

I just thought that if i were to design it, I would make it so that the grip safety has to be disengaged FIRST and ONLY First.

But what do I know...

Last edited:

sescbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Lawrence County
    OK I see what you're saying I think. The grip safety would act more like a "passive" thumb safety where there would be no trigger movement until the grip safety is engaged. Not a bad idea really.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    OK I see what you're saying I think. The grip safety would act more like a "passive" thumb safety where there would be no trigger movement until the grip safety is engaged. Not a bad idea really.

thats is exactly what I'm saying. The trigger is immobilized until the grip safety is disengaged.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    I carry the XD9 Sub-Compact every day.

Its safer than the glock, never had a problem firing it.

I also love the extreme reliability.

Jimmy

Top Bottom