Just for fun...Modern Military service revolver?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Okay, this thread is just for fun everyone, just something to talk about. As we all know, the Army wants a new gun. If they were to adopt a revolver, or let some troops who wanted to carry one, what type do you think it'd be? What modifications would need to be done to current production revolvers to make them military grade? 4" or 5" barrel? Caliber?

Finally, could one be made to stand up to combat conditions? Cold, dirt, mud, sand, etc.? Surly since the revolvers used in WWI, WWII, Vietnam, and so on held up, one could be made even better today.

And like I said, it's just for fun. I know this'll never be a reality and it has too many disadvantages to be considered, but hey, this is a gun forum, lets talk about guns. :):

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Since this is a hypothetical, I'd bet it would be 4" bbl, 6 shooter in .357 magnum. Probably based on a S&W frame, and maybe be an exact "M&P" version of their Model 66. The M&P "Victory" revolver served very well for many years in .38spl, and was more or less exactly like the Model 10. This would be a modern incarnation of that, of course only "hypothetical."

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Since this is a hypothetical, I'd bet it would be 4" bbl, 6 shooter in .357 magnum. Probably based on a S&W frame, and maybe be an exact "M&P" version of their Model 66. The M&P "Victory" revolver served very well for many years in .38spl, and was more or less exactly like the Model 10. This would be a modern incarnation of that, of course only "hypothetical."
    What about the GP 100 modified to military standards? It's a pretty tough .357. And of course this is hypothetical, surly worthy of discussion. Like I said, just for fun.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    S&W 686 Plus:

'Combat grips', good carry size, weight, and balance, 'street proven', and a +1 capacity.

164194_01_md.jpg

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I could see the military going with something S&W as they are proven designs, and the cost wouldn't be bad.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I was thinking either S&W or Ruger, it seems S&W has the most support right now. I wonder why them over ruger.

With WW! and WW2 there were many different climates and weather the revolvers been through, and seemed to perform as designed. I feel that S&W has more of a selection when it comes to revolvers and are in the middle of the road for price, but high on quality IMO.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    With WW! and WW2 there were many different climates and weather the revolvers been through, and seemed to perform as designed. I feel that S&W has more of a selection when it comes to revolvers and are in the middle of the road for price, but high on quality IMO.
    +1. I always hear the whole "built like a tank" thing out of rugers so I was surprised to hear more S&W suggestions than Ruger. Are they really cheaper than Rugers?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If we really wanted to get wild, we could suggest a magazine-fed revolver like the ill-fated Dardick.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    +1. I always hear the whole "built like a tank" thing out of rugers so I was surprised to hear more S&W suggestions than Ruger. Are they really cheaper than Rugers?

I feel S&W are built like tanks as well. In civilian purchases for a 586 and a GP 100 the ruger is $100 less both with 4 in barrels no stainless. I think in a military contract S&W would be cheaper since they have provided before and could probably push out more without sacrificing quality. Also I felt more comfortable with the grips on my S&W model 10, or my G-pa's 586 than my uncles gp100.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My vote goes for the S&W R8. Don't see how a wheelie can get more tacticool that that!

I had the same thought. Mainly because of this video where I learned about the R8. I'm not a big revolver guy.

[video=youtube;Sb_GFV_0KY8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb_GFV_0KY8[/video]

Top Bottom