• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Our agency received three of eight M1911A1's from the US Government. I had the distinct pleasure of field stripping them, lubing them, function testing them. Then we went off and fired them at our range.

We had a few hiccups, however, within 50 rounds between the three weapons, they were functioning normally. A quick check of the serial numbers revealed that all of them were manufactured in 1944. They are stamped "US Government Property" with various and sundry markings. One of them is a Remington Rand. The barrel bores were in mint or close to mint condition.

Other than the poor sights commonly found on these guns, they shot well and held decent groups at 25 yds. and in. It was a privilege to have the opportunity to shoot a piece of history.

dreamer56

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Next door in Illinois
    Cool - when I get one that old it is a total detail strip, close inspection of all parts and lube - usually they run on 230 LRN without any problem. LIterally a blast to shoot some history.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    A close friend collects 1911s of that era. They are beautiful, no doubt. And they are a pleasure to shoot.

I think it's interesting that your "agency" received 1911s instead of M9s. Since you're scheduled to receive 8 total, I'm guessing these will be assigned for field use.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    cool experience. I wonder how many of the pistols on dealers shelves today will be cleaned and oiled and functional 70 years from today?

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    We are considering issuing them to our Posse. However, the sights are miniscule and would need to be upgraded, also only one magazine per pistol. The three pistols are the "Parkerized" M1911A1 standard issue if you will. The recoil springs appear tired, however, all of them function checked properly. No beavertail grip safeties, just the USG equipment.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    A friend of mine had a GI parkarized 1911 from his department. Cool piece of history. It was well used. He had it at home and as a backup gun in his patrol car. He recently returned it to storage because of continually needing to inventory it. I guess the department was afraid it would get lost and because it was from the .gov they did not want the hassle.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    We are considering issuing them to our Posse. However, the sights are miniscule and would need to be upgraded, also only one magazine per pistol. The three pistols are the "Parkerized" M1911A1 standard issue if you will. The recoil springs appear tired, however, all of them function checked properly. No beavertail grip safeties, just the USG equipment.

Paint the front sight with a little sight paint, buy some stainless Wilson Service Mags and a new recoil spring, feed it some quality 230 grain hardball and send em out.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

I was able to fire expert with pistols just like those every year I was in the USAR. They are generally more accurate than the people shooting them...nothing a little practice won't fix. So as other posters have said...send them out!

juans

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2013
    indianapolis
    I love my Remington Rand 1911. It was manufactured in 1945. The USGI 1911 A1 collectors are very "picky". I know collectors like original finish and all original matching parts. It is very common to see Remington Rand slide with Colt slide, and viceversa. The price of an original Remington with original finish I would think is at least 1500, Original Colts much more.
    During service they just cleaned the guns and they did not care to putting them back together as the parts were suppose to be exchangeable.
    I think they are awesome parts of history and love to shoot my Rand. My accuracy is better with my Glock 26, but I like the kick of my 1911

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    1918 Remington UMC

14keh03.jpg

1945 Remington Rand

10qc5co.jpg

Top Bottom