• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I used to have an American made Gen 4 Glock 19 that ran flawlessly for the 750 or so rounds I ran through it before it was stolen in home break-in. :xmad:

Thankfully the insurance company replaced it for me, but with an Austrian made model. So far I've put about 300 rds through it and it's cycled fine, but the issue is that the slide isn't locking back after the last round. I fed 8 mags through it today and 6 of them failed to achieve slide lock.

Is there something I can do to address the issue? It's driving me nuts. I don't count rounds when I shoot, so I want visual confirmation that the gun is empty.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Have you tried e-mailing or calling Glock about the issue?

When I called Glock, my call was forward immediately, taken immediately by one of the armorers, and the guy on phone answered every question I had. Just by his responses I could tell he wasn't 'flipping through a manual' looking for answers. He KNEW Glocks.

Give 'em a shout out. If it's something small, as it was in my instance, they just went over the specifics of the repair over the phone, made sure I understood how to do it, and sent me the part. Said to call back if I had any issues. No need.

Could be something as simple as the slide lock spring, which could be broken off, or even bent. (Part 20 in the diagram pictured)

G17-Gen4-Exploded-View-with-legend3.jpg

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Ammo was my first thought. I was using bulk 115 gr UMC ammo. I never had a problem with it before, but I may just need to work the slide more and get everything nice and broken in.

I can lock the slide when doing it by hand with the mag in, so I doubt it's an issue with slide lock spring.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Have you looked at your grip? High thumbs or thumbs forward grips sometimes ride over the top of the slide lock, thus keeping it down and unable to lock on an empty mag! Pretty basic, but I've seen many do it before!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Not making fun of you or disrespecting you in any way, but the fact that the armorer knew his stuff should not be surprising. They only have one product that is available in multiple flavors. I would be very worried if they didn't know their product.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Standard factory Gen 4 15 rd. mags.

Well that "should" eliminate the magazine from the equation. Which a worn out spring, +2 baseplate and factory spring, usually will cause that.

Next what about ammo? Sometimes if you are shooting a light load or riding the slide with your support hand it will cause the slide not to lock back.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Ammo was my first thought. I was using bulk 115 gr UMC ammo. I never had a problem with it before, but I may just need to work the slide more and get everything nice and broken in.

I can lock the slide when doing it by hand with the mag in, so I doubt it's an issue with slide lock spring.

To confirm, this is not a NIB-x or other coated Glock, correct? Just a standard finish Glock?

Did it do it with all the mags, or just 1? Has the gun had the frame stripped down? Was it new when you purchased it?

It could be an issue with the slide stop. I have not experienced it myself, but have seen others report issues with this when the slide stop has not been reinstalled properly, etc. I've stripped my Glock slides all the way down, and replaced a part or 2 in the frame (ejector, mag release, etc), but not stripped the frame down completely. There are some good posts on INGO about it where others have had the issue, and I'm sure some vids on youtube.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    To confirm, this is not a NIB-x or other coated Glock, correct? Just a standard finish Glock?

Did it do it with all the mags, or just 1? Has the gun had the frame stripped down? Was it new when you purchased it?

It could be an issue with the slide stop. I have not experienced it myself, but have seen others report issues with this when the slide stop has not been reinstalled properly, etc. I've stripped my Glock slides all the way down, and replaced a part or 2 in the frame (ejector, mag release, etc), but not stripped the frame down completely. There are some good posts on INGO about it where others have had the issue, and I'm sure some vids on youtube.

Standard finish. The gun was new when I got it. It has never been broken down beyond basic field strip.

After re-checking ammo I realized it was 115 grain Blazer Brass, not UMC as I originally thought.

I was rotating out a total of 5 mags. 3 were new with gun. 2 were very slightly used (came new with gun that was stolen.) I put 8 full mags through it. I had 6 that failed to lock back.

I could have been riding the slide with my thumb, since I was focused on a good grip, with thumbs high and forward on the slide.

Zjhagens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    If you shoot thumbs forward, I almost guarantee this is the issue. I have the same.. problem if you want to call it that. Doesn't really bother me. I think the grip helps me more than the slide not locking back hurts me.

Top Bottom