• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Ever since holding my neighbors 3.5" barreled 1911 I have longed for one. I am considering replacing my MR40 with a 1911 as my EDC. Anyone have a recomendation as the all around best for the money? I would want something under $600 or so.

hoosier21

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    South Bend
    A friend of mine recently purchased a Ruger compact commander. It has a 4.250" barrel. He purchased it at Rural King for around $600. It is his EDC and he is very pleased with it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A friend of mine recently purchased a Ruger compact commander. It has a 4.250" barrel. He purchased it at Rural King for around $600. It is his EDC and he is very pleased with it.

Big diff over a 3.5" barrel 1911. OP wants a compact. Commander was what jumped into my mind as well.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Check out the Sig Sauer traditional Compact. It's an officer sized frame with a commander length (4.25") slide. IMHO this is the best "compact" 1911 for the money. Granted it's not a true officer sized 1911 but any 1911 that is less than 4.25" slide length can be subject to timing issues and be much less than reliable. In fact most of the myths you read about 1911s being unreliable are steamed from the officer length ( 3") pistols. The 1911 just wasn't designed to be that short. The Sig is out of your price range but if you want something "cheap" that will still be reliable that is your best bet. They are in the $850.00 range, or at least they were when I bought mine. Aside from two ammo related incidents it's been 100% reliable and accurate if I do my part.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Check out the Sig Sauer traditional Compact. It's an officer sized frame with a commander length (4.25") slide. IMHO this is the best "compact" 1911 for the money. Granted it's not a true officer sized 1911 but any 1911 that is less than 4.25" slide length can be subject to timing issues and be much less than reliable. In fact most of the myths you read about 1911s being unreliable are steamed from the officer length ( 3") pistols. The 1911 just wasn't designed to be that short. The Sig is out of your price range but if you want something "cheap" that will still be reliable that is your best bet. They are in the $850.00 range, or at least they were when I bought mine. Aside from two ammo related incidents it's been 100% reliable and accurate if I do my part.

Exactly.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    There isn't one. You might get lucky and get one that will run in that price range but I wouldn't bet on it.

At your price point it is a crap shoot to get a good one. Especially in a compact.

+1. Budget "or" compact, by themselves, gets you into hit and miss choices. Budget AND compact? Good luck.

OP I would listen to these guys. Trust me they are knowledgeable and I to agree with what they shared.

You really should be looking at 4.25" or 5" guns in a 1911 platform.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana

i have a Defender that runs like a sewin' machine.......you can find a good used one for around 800

+1 for the Colt Defender. I have one that will digest just about any ammo I've given it. Price point is above what you've identified - but for funtion, reliability, resale, and a number of other reasons its one gun you might want to consider.

YMMV

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I'll toss in another vote for saving a little more and picking up a Colt Defender or Kimber Ultra. Have both and both have run perfectly. The Defender is my go-to most of the time.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana

I approve of this statement and Carry a Sig C3. Save up the extra cash and go this route.

Here's an example of one real close to your price range. Sig Sauer 1911 Compact C3 4.2" 45 Rosewood Grips : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Springfield Armory RO Compact just came out. The standard RO is a nice gun for the money so the compact might be a good option.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I agree that a budget, compact 1911 would not be my ideal choice to bet my life on. If you're willing to compromise on caliber, there are a few "cocked n locked" pistols in 9mm and .40 that fit your budget.

I carry a Sig P938 and love it. I've put about 400 rounds through it and haven't had a single issue. Load one up with 124 gr HSTs and you'd be good to go. It is definitely lighter...

I think a CZ RAMI with the alloy frame is worth looking into as well. I'd avoid the poly framed version.

Top Bottom