Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Best budget compact 1911?

Ever since holding my neighbors 3.5" barreled 1911 I have longed for one. I am considering replacing my MR40 with a 1911 as my EDC. Anyone have a recomendation as the all around best for the money? I would want something under $600 or so.

User Info Menu

There isn't one. You might get lucky and get one that will run in that price range but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Michael Swisher

User Info Menu

Have you tried some that didn't work so well?

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by THE BIG SITT View Post
    Have you tried some that didn't work so well?
    At your price point it is a crap shoot to get a good one. Especially in a compact.

User Info Menu

A friend of mine recently purchased a Ruger compact commander. It has a 4.250" barrel. He purchased it at Rural King for around $600. It is his EDC and he is very pleased with it.

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier21 View Post
    A friend of mine recently purchased a Ruger compact commander. It has a 4.250" barrel. He purchased it at Rural King for around $600. It is his EDC and he is very pleased with it.
    Big diff over a 3.5" barrel 1911. OP wants a compact. Commander was what jumped into my mind as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cedartop View Post
    There isn't one. You might get lucky and get one that will run in that price range but I wouldn't bet on it.
    +1. Budget "or" compact, by themselves, gets you into hit and miss choices. Budget AND compact? Good luck.

User Info Menu

Check out the Sig Sauer traditional Compact. It's an officer sized frame with a commander length (4.25") slide. IMHO this is the best "compact" 1911 for the money. Granted it's not a true officer sized 1911 but any 1911 that is less than 4.25" slide length can be subject to timing issues and be much less than reliable. In fact most of the myths you read about 1911s being unreliable are steamed from the officer length ( 3") pistols. The 1911 just wasn't designed to be that short. The Sig is out of your price range but if you want something "cheap" that will still be reliable that is your best bet. They are in the $850.00 range, or at least they were when I bought mine. Aside from two ammo related incidents it's been 100% reliable and accurate if I do my part.

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kawtech87 View Post
    Check out the Sig Sauer traditional Compact. It's an officer sized frame with a commander length (4.25") slide. IMHO this is the best "compact" 1911 for the money. Granted it's not a true officer sized 1911 but any 1911 that is less than 4.25" slide length can be subject to timing issues and be much less than reliable. In fact most of the myths you read about 1911s being unreliable are steamed from the officer length ( 3") pistols. The 1911 just wasn't designed to be that short. The Sig is out of your price range but if you want something "cheap" that will still be reliable that is your best bet. They are in the $850.00 range, or at least they were when I bought mine. Aside from two ammo related incidents it's been 100% reliable and accurate if I do my part.
    Exactly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cedartop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    At your price point it is a crap shoot to get a good one. Especially in a compact.
    Quote Originally Posted by iChokePeople View Post
    +1. Budget "or" compact, by themselves, gets you into hit and miss choices. Budget AND compact? Good luck.
    OP I would listen to these guys. Trust me they are knowledgeable and I to agree with what they shared.

You really should be looking at 4.25" or 5" guns in a 1911 platform.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid." - Han Solo

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast