• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ben Nelson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corner of Walk & Dont Walk
    Symptoms of gun acquisition syndrome are popping up again and the FNS-9 has my attention this month . . . I've seen Hickok45's video on it and Jeff Quinn on Gunblast loves the gun too.

Does anybody here own an FNS-9? How does it compare to the other widely owned 9-mm semiautos (M&P, Glock, XD, etc)?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    A friend has one and I have shot it a bit. For a 17 round capacity, the grip is surprisingly comfortable in smaller hands. I have short fingers and a Glock is too bulky for comfort. I shot one this past weekend along with my M&P full size and would have a hard time rating one over the other. I would say the M&P wins only because of the compact offering, cheaper mags and more holster options.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    rather than re-type everything I did from before, loved mine and regret selling it.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/326650-fnh-fns-rise-glock-beater.html

I remember that thread well, and admit that an FNS-9 in stainless is still very much on my punch list! It's even more tempting now, as the all-black FNS models recently went down $100 in price. If they offer the same promotion in stainless, I doubt I'll be able to hold back. I don't think this applies to the FNX line, but still, that's a great discount on what I believe is a phenomenal pistol.

Ben Nelson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    rather than re-type everything I did from before, loved mine and regret selling it.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/326650-fnh-fns-rise-glock-beater.html

Holy cow, how did I miss that thread? . . . Sorry about that.

Why/how, as a Glock guy, did the FNS-9 fit in your arsenal? I have a G17 and a G19. I found that I like the 19's shorter barrel but like the 17's larger grip. The FNS-9 sounds like a nice fit. Of course, that could just be gun acquisition syndrome rationalization speaking.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Holy cow, how did I miss that thread? . . . Sorry about that.

Why/how, as a Glock guy, did the FNS-9 fit in your arsenal? I have a G17 and a G19. I found that I like the 19's shorter barrel but like the 17's larger grip. The FNS-9 sounds like a nice fit. Of course, that could just be gun acquisition syndrome rationalization speaking.

Funny thing is, the FNS grip length (and capacity!) almost exactly matches the G17, while its length front to back (and barrel length) matches the 19.

Just made it easier, didn't I?

I'm still a Glock guy because they work, and carry more ammo for less weight than any other pkg. HOWEVER, given the fact that I'm nailing down my carry methodology now, those extra few ounces on the FNS don't seem to matter as much.

The GRIP length, however, keeps me from being able to effectively carry the FNS on a daily basis - just too long, prints too much ON ME. YMMV. If I'm away from work, and not tucking like I am right now, an FNS would be great.

My hindsight is usually perfect. Too bad it doesn't translate to the front. Not sure I'll find another for the price I paid before.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    x2 on the grip length, that's what has kept me from taking the plunge. I totally agree with the assessment, Wes... the grip of a 17 with the slide length of a 19 is exactly how I would describe it as well. I occasionally hear rumors that FNH is coming out with a compact (not a sub-compact), but I have yet to see a prototype/rumor picture to confirm anything.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    x2 on the grip length, that's what has kept me from taking the plunge. I totally agree with the assessment, Wes... the grip of a 17 with the slide length of a 19 is exactly how I would describe it as well. I occasionally hear rumors that FNH is coming out with a compact (not a sub-compact), but I have yet to see a prototype/rumor picture to confirm anything.

IF FNH would come out with a compact, I'd be first in line, I'll tell ya. Hopefully this recent move to drop prices and move units means they're starting to think more of the civilian market. I understand that they make their bread and butter from military contracts, but CC is a pretty big deal, guys...

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    I have an FNS-9 and had an FNP-9 as well as a FNX-40. All great guns, I cannot part with the FNS-9, outstanding gun!

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I bought one last winter and love it. I have the one with no manual safety. To date it has been rock solid with no malfunctions. The trigger was a little gritty at first like many will report, but after many dry fires and a couple boxes of ammo it smoothed out nicely.

I haven't shot the M&P's or S&W's to compare. I did hold them prior to buying the FNS-9 though. I just liked the grip and everything about the FNS-9 over those models. I've shot G17's and G-19's before and nothing in those left me with any "wow" factor. Not saying that any of those are better or worse than the FNS-9, but I just liked the fit, feel, and overall attributes of the FNS-9 over the others.

Ben Nelson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    I bought one last winter and love it. I have the one with no manual safety. To date it has been rock solid with no malfunctions. The trigger was a little gritty at first like many will report, but after many dry fires and a couple boxes of ammo it smoothed out nicely.

I haven't shot the M&P's or S&W's to compare. I did hold them prior to buying the FNS-9 though. I just liked the grip and everything about the FNS-9 over those models. I've shot G17's and G-19's before and nothing in those left me with any "wow" factor. Not saying that any of those are better or worse than the FNS-9, but I just liked the fit, feel, and overall attributes of the FNS-9 over the others.

Yeah, the FNS-9 feels pretty good in the hand, but I've found at least for me that it is a secondary concern. I also have an M&P9 and like the grip better than either of the Glocks; however, I just shoot the blocky Glocks a lot better than the M&P.

LukeDuke25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    World Traveler
    I had the FNX9 first, and loved it. When the FNS came out, I sold the X and bought the FNS. Having owned many different handguns with range and training, I like the FNS by far. It feels great in my hand, and I shoot better groups than with my G19. I am better with it in point-shooting as well. So far after about 1500 rounds, not one issue with multiple brands of 9mm. The trigger has become smoother over time, which was great to begin with.

Luke

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    So what do you think? I've never shot the FNS-9 before, but a buddy had an FNX-40 (hammer fired) that he let me shoot at the range a couple months back and it was really nice. Wondered about the FNS model...

Ben Nelson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Disappointing in that I am not as accurate shooting it as I am with the G19. Again, I'm hoping that it is simply a matter of getting used to the trigger reset. The FNS-9 functions fine. I have not had any failures to feed, fire, or eject in the first 250 or so rounds. The grip is good and sights are OK.

Top Bottom