• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Before I get to the sentimental family hand-me-down, a little background is in order.

Over this past year my tastes have evolved into a greater appreciation for things with age, texture, and a well-worn patina. From tools to boots to bags, I've dropped plastic for wood, nylon for leather, and cordura for canvas. Of course this appreciation bled over into guns.

More recently I've been wanting to add a wheel gun to my limited stable. I was looking for a mid-century S&W J-Frame with some character. I didn't want a new Airweight or anything too shiny. In fact if I could save some money by getting something with some finish wear I'd be all the happier.

After some light research I had come across a few interesting examples, but nothing that turned my head.

This past week I had the opportunity to join lovemywoods as we traveled to visit my Grandparents. It is my Grandfather I credit with my love for firearms. He's been a collector for many years, and I have fond memories of talking guns and listening to him tell stories about how he acquired each one. You may remember him from this story: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...three-bullets-could-have-changed-my-life.html

With my Grandma in the kitchen preparing dinner, lovemywoods and I again had the opportunity to peruse Grandpa's collection. He went through each one, sharing the guns' history and significance, telling us when and where he found them. Some I remembered immediately, others I had forgotten about. After looking at Colts and S&Ws and Hi Standards, a Nambu and 2 Silver Star 1911s, big revolvers and small autos, he pulled something out of the safe I'd never seen before.

Before he had even removed the gun from its case my ears perked up when he said "odd finish wear". What could this be?

Imagine my surprise when he pulled out an old model snubbie Colt revolver! It was awesome! It was EXACTLY the kind of thing that I'd been searching for. Not only that, but it also had the added bonus of being something in my Grandpa's collection. Then he really made my week when he said I could take it home!

So here she is.

esmhip.jpg

It's a 1923 Colt Police Positive Special. It originally had a 6" barrel, but someone later swapped in a shorter barrel from a "Bankers Special" (which can be seen stamped on the barrel). I'm not sure what has happened to the bluing over the years, but I'm leaving it as is. I like it.

In 1991 Grandpa sent off for a historical letter from Colt. I thought it was cool that it had originally shipped to a hardware store in Indianapolis.

28atgld.jpg

I haven't shot it yet, and its killing me. I might try to sneak down to lovemywoods' sometime soon to throw a few rounds downrange. I'll be sure to update this thread when I do.

Guns are cool, but family is cooler. And I'm very blessed to be able to join the two. I plan to keep this Colt in the safe until I'm as old as Grandpa.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    That is really cool. Chambered in. 38 S&W right? You might need to get Lovemywoods to start reloading for you.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What caliber is it?? I only ask because it looks like .38 special ammo in the pic but wikipedia is telling me different.

Here's where it gets interesting.

The Colt Police Positive Special frame (and cylinder) are in .38 Special.

The "Bankers Special" (what the barrel came from) was offered in 38S&W.

As I understand it, the 38S&W has a very slightly larger diameter (.361 to .357). So I'm curious to see how it shoots.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    That's just to cool. You have an awesome grandpa. I wouldn't touch it either. I developed a fondness for revolvers after I picked up my 640. I have 4 now. :) Looking forward to hearing how she shoots!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have a bag of really lightly powder charged soft lead hollow based wadcutters. They might expand a bit and shoot ok in that little revolver.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Very cool and nifty tale here, thanks for telling it in the detail you did.:ingo:

If that old gun could talk..........

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I just found a picture of "Van Camp Hardware & Iron Co." online. Apparently it was located downtown Indy at Maryland and Missouri (near where the Convention Center currently is).

fm3ywy.jpg

And a few more:

VanCamp1922.jpg

VanCamp1911.jpg

vanLH.jpg

Last edited:

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Great addition to your collection and the fact that it belonged to your grandfather makes it even better! I have a rifle and 2 shotguns that first belonged to my father and they will never leave my collection!

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Awesome story and an amazing pistol.

I have my Great Grandfathers Double Barrel Shotgun. My Great Grandfather (Bud) and Grandfather (Glen) were out squirel hunting in 1921. Bud went to shoot and accidently pulled both triggers and it nearly knocked him down. He looked at his son Glen and asked him if he wanted to trade guns. Glen had a single barrel and agreed to trade. My Uncle had the gun for years but didn't have any boys to hand the gun down to, so he gave it to my Dad. My Dad had me and my brother draw straws to see who got the pistol and who got the shotgun. Long straw gets shotgun short straw gets the pistol. My brother is the oldest so he got to draw straws first. He drew the short straw so I got the shotgun. It is a Montgomery Ward Double barrel. It will be handed down to my grandson who is the only boy to carry on the family name.

Now im curious as to what the pistol was.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Beautiful...One of my customers (a fellow Smith and Wesson Whore) once said of Colt Revolvers, "Well if one is gonna step down from a Smith the revolver better have a Pony on it...":)

I love those old Colt's (and Smith's) as they lock up like a bank vault....Now we need to find you a vintage knife to go with it!!! And an H H Heiser holster from the 1920's, and a fedora.....

Well....You get the idea...:)

Top Bottom