• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I have posted in the past that I have not one, but two of Dave Lauck's 1911's. The full size went "home" arriving on Monday for some rehab. Nothing much, some refinishing in hardchrome, Heavy Duty barrel bushing, detail strip and cleaning (I'm somewhat leery of my ability to disassemble the lower frame and components), inspection, and a check of parts. Also requested new night sights. Of course, I emailed Dave prior to let him know it was coming.

Now, his work is not inexpensive. With that said, he emailed me no less than nine or ten times yesterday with the progress of the work, and asked my opinions on other work that should have been done. Here's what he did in less than eight hours, in his one man shop:

1. Complete disassembly, inspection, and cleaning of lower receiver parts.
    2. Installed new sights, awaiting night sight inserts for installation.
    3. Complete refinish in "Tactical Matte"
    4. Fit, install, new barrel and Heavy Duty barrel bushing.
    5. Fit, install, new toolsteel ignition components.
    6. Test fire for function.

I was flabbergasted. I know, I know, I could have sold my current pistol and picked up a new one such as a Sig 1911, Les Baer, Springfield Armory, etc. However, I have carried that pistol for many years and unfortunately, have some emotional attachment to it. And it works. Every time. All the time. I guess one could say, I was looking for an "update" or a "refresh" to insure that the weapon has no issues.

I cannot recommend nor compliment anyone higher with regard to the 1911 as Dave Lauck. He is straightforward, and in my own opinion, does not suggest doing work if it is not needed. He did not charge for disassembly, and cleaning of the lower receiver, installing the new barrel, etc. More importantly, HE GOT RIGHT ON IT immediately. I did not expect that. Sure, his pistols are relatively expensive, however, one makes their choice and pays the admission. There are other 1911 guys out there, Laughridge, Tussey, Novak, Morris, et. al. I cannot comment as to their customer service, I can only attest to Lauck's. With regard to expense, the question I always asked myself was "what is my life/family's lives/friend's lives worth?" Not that I actively look for a confrontation, however, a pistol is a tool. It needs to work each and every time. When one needs it, one REALLY needs it, God forbid. If it doesn't work, it may as well be on Mars.

I don't have the pistol yet. If I can I will post pics when it arrives.

Last edited:

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    The Heavy Duty barrel bushing required a somewhat longer barrel than standard. I have had at least 30,000 rounds through it. The new toolsteel fire control parts were asked by him to replace what was in the pistol. Considering I bought the pistol approximately 10+ years ago, I thought it was an acceptable investment at $155.00 for the new ignition components and no charge to install them. Mr. Freeman, I will post pics when the pistol arrives.

There was no issue with the pistol to begin with, absolutely reliable, however, I have been carrying it on duty for the past three years. I had some minor dings on the slide, cosmetic only. The night sights were dimming, and I had never disassembled the lower receiver of the pistol, as I am not familiar with the procedure (You Tube notwithstanding). Even though I am a Sig armorer, the 1911 is a far cry from a Sig. When all else fails, one consults with the expert(s).

Thanks Mr. Freeman for your kind comment also.

Last edited:

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    The Heavy Duty barrel bushing front flange is double thickness, and in general, more stout. Fortunately, I've not had a cracked barrel bushing, however, when it happens, it is a complicated stoppage. I just wanted to prevent future failure. RVB, I'll take your word that a 1911 is easier to dismantle than a Sig. However, I don't have the tools to take apart a 1911, and I'm not willing to tinker with something I'm not familiar with. Some parts of the 1911, touted as being "drop in" just aren't. I have an Officer's ACP that here recently, I ended up taking to a local gunsmith to have a "drop in" mainspring housing fitted. When I put the new part in, the grip safety did not work. It took some file strokes to get the housing, and possibly some to the grip safety to work as advertised.

Sigs have drop in parts. There are few, if any, "fitted" parts which need attention from an armorer. There are advantages to this, as one can detail strip, change a part, and assemble without further fitting. That's fine for a Sig, Glock, Smith, XD, or other such produced pistol, and the proper training in disassembly and reassembly. I don't want to take the chance with my 1911's. I would prefer an expert to deal with my 1911's. If I had a "junk" 1911 lying around, I would probably get the right tools, and take the ignition parts, grip safety, sear spring, et. al. out and reinstall them several times to understand the procedure. However, with a personal defense pistol, I leave those duties to those that I trust are fully versed in the 1911, forward and backward. I have seen time and time again what "home tinkering" will do with a pistol, or other firearm. I won't take the chance on something my life (or someone else's) may depend on.

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The Heavy Duty barrel bushing front flange is double thickness, and in general, more stout. Fortunately, I've not had a cracked barrel bushing, however, when it happens, it is a complicated stoppage. I just wanted to prevent future failure.

ok. It's not a common issue, esp on a properly fitted bushing. If it went 30k it would probably go another 60k. I was just curious why all the major parts changes on a perfectly working gun. thanks for sharing your reasoning. I'm more the "if it aint broke" type...

RVB, I'll take your word that a 1911 is easier to dismantle than a Sig. However, I don't have the tools to take apart a 1911, and I'm not willing to tinker with something I'm not familiar with. Some parts of the 1911, touted as being "drop in" just aren't...

you don't need special tools or to do any fitting to CLEAN...

-rvb

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    RVB, I'd agree that I am also a member of the "if it ain't broke" school too, however, I just felt a rehab was in order after ten years or so. I do not have the tools at home to dismantle a 1911. Considering what I wanted done, I thought that if I was sending it somewhere to be worked on, what better place to clean out the lower frame. There was no charge for it.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Pistol came home yesterday. However, due to technical difficulties, I cannot seem to post pics. I did, however, check the serial number to make sure it was the one I sent him.

The finish, "Tactical Matte" as it appears, is more like a battleship gray. New night sights now that I can see. Crisp trigger pull, no "slop" anywhere. Wonderful.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    cool. makes sense. what promted the desire for the bushing change?

the 1911 is MUCH easier than a Sig!

-rvb

Have you not taken down a P226,P229,P220,etc? Much easier and quicker than a 1911. Literally just turn the take down lever and pull the slide off. You don't have to pull out the slide stop lever/pin like a 1911.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Have you not taken down a P226,P229,P220,etc? Much easier and quicker than a 1911. Literally just turn the take down lever and pull the slide off. You don't have to pull out the slide stop lever/pin like a 1911.

were talking about complete disassembly, down to bare frame and slide, not just field stripping.

-rvb

Top Bottom