• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seabassnfg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2014
    Valpo
    I am looking at a used and modified M&p. I love the gun, it's exactly what I've been looking for. It even has a few upgrades. It has the apex trigger, threaded barrel, extended mag, and magwell funnel. I don't care much for the magwell funnel, but that's beside the point.

The gun doesn't have a safety. Unless you count the trigger safety. I don't consider that a safety, but we won't get into that here.

So my question is whether anybody else carries a gun that has no safety. Or only has the trigger safety. I'm a little hesitant since I'm not quite used to it. But I also thought if the gun never leaves the holster, I should never worry about an accident, right?

Thoughts and advice would be great! Thanks

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Just about every Glock, XDm, XD, PPQ etc doesn't have a manual safety. There is a reason. The striker/firing pin is blocked until the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear. That is the main safe mechanism, besides your brain and finger. These guns are drop tested and do not fire.

The Springfield XDm/XD have a grip saftey like a 1911. Some like it and some don't.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is with proper TRAINING and GOOD carry equipment like a quality holster and belt, there is really no need for an additional manual safety.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yep, like Bigtanker said, carrying without a thumb safety is just a matter of training. As long as your finger doesn't touch the trigger you're okay. You just need to be extra careful that when you holster, nothing is in the way. That just means you pay attention when you holster it. I just started carrying about a year ago and have mostly carried a Glock 19. As long as you're careful and pay attention, it's a non-issue.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    When Glock pistols first appeared on the scene I thought "I would never buy a gun without a safety". A friend bought one of the early models and I was unimpressed by a plastic gun that wasn't safe to carry because it had no safety.

Now polymer pistols without a manual safety are widespread. They have proven themselves to be reliable and safe.

Buy a good rigid holster that covers the trigger, learn about the firearm, take some training and carry with confidence.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    My kahr has no safety but has a long trigger like a revolver. I don't like a safety but I'm not totally against them either. My sr9c has a safety. My wife actually likes it with all the safeties so it became her HD gun.

I carry a m&p all the time. Doesn't need a safety, striker fired isn't like a single action. They usually have 5.5lbs plus.

natetheace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Decatur, IN
    I have been carrying a CZ P-07 with decocker. I feel safe carrying with the hammer down. The double action pull is suppose to be around 6 lbs. After that it is suppose to be around 3 lbs in single action. It also comes with a safety that can be installed so it can be carried cocked and locked. Nice G19 sized pistol.

12-23-14043_zpsbd1d2000.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    I have been carrying a CZ P-07 with decocker. I feel safe carrying with the hammer down. The double action pull is suppose to be around 6 lbs. After that it is suppose to be around 3 lbs in single action. It also comes with a safety that can be installed so it can be carried cocked and locked. Nice G19 sized pistol.

12-23-14043_zpsbd1d2000.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

:yesway:

katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    I have been carrying an XDs .45 for 2 years tomorrow with no problems. mostly in a kydex IWB holster. use common sense and you should be good to go. whatever you choose to carry, be confident and competent. good luck.

seabassnfg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2014
    Valpo
    I edc an XD right now. Having the grip safety adds a lot of peace of mind. That combined with the trigger safety makes me feel very comfortable about carrying it. I guess the only time I'll have to be concerned about the M&P is when I'm holstering. It also has the apex, making the trigger even easier to pull.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Like many other have said or alluded to, if it is striker fired, modern pistol...

Holster protects trigger
    internal safety mechanisms protect from dropping discharge
    if properly holstered I can't imagine how you can get it to go off?

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    If you are really unsure about it, just carry Israeli style for a while.
    Dry fire the gun, insert loaded mag, place in holster.
    You will have to rack the slide in your draw sequence, and you have to practice that.
    If the Israeli's can do it, you can.

Nobody really likes the idea of carrying without a round in the chamber (especially on INGO), but there are a couple small advantages.
    I have done it when I carry with the kids around. It's just safer and I've practiced drawing & racking.
    Also, if you are in a physical fight and your gun is taken, the bad guy will assume it's loaded but won't be able to immediately shoot you with your own gun.
    That hesitation might give you a fighting chance to get your gun back and defend yourself with out being shot with it first.

I'm not saying carrying Israeli style is better, it just an option.
    But like any option you choose, you need to practice it.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I carry without a safety everyday. Just remember, don't touch the trigger unless you mean to shoot. PLUS get a good holster that covers the trigger.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I carry a gun with no bullets. That way nobody gets shot.

Top Bottom