Why do you feel safer with a grip safety?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higginbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Columbus
    Ok, to start this off, I'm not trying to start an argument on what kind of safety your gun should have. That horse has been beaten to death (then revived and beaten back to death), and it mostly comes to "choose what you prefer and train to proficiency". That said, I've read a lot of people on here really like the grip safety (i.e., 1911 and XD style). I don't really understand what that protects against. In my mind, a "trigger safety" such as the one on a Glock or M&P ensures that the gun only fires when you pull the trigger, not when it gets dropped, used as a hammer (not that any of us would ever do that!) etc. An external safety, I like to think of as a "trigger de-activator". It makes the trigger not work anymore. (all of you thinking to yourself, "that's EXACTLY why I hate them", just take a deep breath and keep going. I feel your pain). This is good if you are sloppy with your holstering and get something stuck in the trigger like the officer in northern IN earlier this year. It could also prevent accidents with kids, like the lady killed a week or two ago (though I know there are lots of other things that should have been different there). I don't get the grip safety though. I've been taught if I'm handling a loaded gun (and they're all loaded) I should have a secure firing grip on it. So, unless my pistol is in pieces to be cleaned, I've got my hand wrapped around the grip, deactivating the grip safety. I guess if you got something in the trigger guard while reholstering, and it didn't go off, it would prevent it from firing when you moved around... is that the only function? Again, not trying to start an argument for or against, I'm just curious why some people feel safer with them, as they seem to me like they wouldn't do much.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    For me I see no value in them. I have 1911's and xd/xdm's never cared for the grip safeties and they can get in the way for a high grip. No value to me.

TiMMaY

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    Martinsville
    Because John Browning said so. All joking aside, I grew up on original 1911 in the Navy. I spent countless hours of training, running shipboard security drills and qualifying as an expert marksman with the 1911. I carry an XD 45 today because of the grip safety. It has a trigger safety just like the Glock, but it also ensures you have a good grip on the gun when you are firing it.

I agree that you should always have a good firing grip on the gun when you are shooting. The problem is you are not always going to know how you are going to react when you have bullets zinging past your head. The grip safety just makes sure you indeed have a good grip before you pull the trigger.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    A trigger safety does not protect you when something gets caught in the trigger guard or presses on the trigger. Recent examples I am aware of are a faulty/broken holster, clothing drawstring, and bunched clothing. In each of these circumstances, a grip safety would have prevented the discharge.

I own guns with both and carry them appropriately, there are strengths and weaknesses to each.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Don't see a use for them. I have a 1911 and a Glock. Prefer the Glock. Not a deal breaker although would like to see them gone.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm a 1911 fan, but I'll admit that a grip safety is not on my 'must have' list. In fact, I prefer to carry with either a very pronounced 'speed bump' as Sig tends to produce if there's a grip safety. In my opinion, the grip safety brings nothing to the table for hammer fired pistols. When holstering a pistol with a hammer, I keep my index finger out of the trigger guard and put my thumb between the hammer and slide. Even if there was an obstruction that pulled the trigger, the hammer would fall against my thumb instead of the firing pin. The problem with the grip safety on a stock 1911 is that even the act of putting the pad of your thumb on the thumb safety is enough to deactivate the grip safety.

My preferred setup for 1911 carry is an extended thumb safety that does not require as much movement of the thumb to deactivate it along with a pronounced speed bump in the grip safety.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I like them because; I've seen guns dropped, I've seen guns double and go full auto, and most folks who use them in competition will eventually figure out that they did't always have the consistent secure grip that they thought they did (i.e. they are an advantage in that they will teach you if you do not grip the gun correctly on the draw or after reload & etc).

When you stay away from competition tuned guns (triggers down as low as 1 1/2 pounds & etc) then I think the chances of them helping preventing accidental firing are reduced. Still, to me they are a extra margin of safety with zero downside.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't feel safer with a grip safety. I only have them because they came on my 1911. I could pin it like some do, but it never seems to interfere with my shooting. I take whatever safety comes on the gun.

I don't feel more safe with any particular kind of of mechanism. Trigger, thumb, grip, none, whatever. I follow the 4 rules and don't play with my guns.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    A trigger safety does not protect you when something gets caught in the trigger guard or presses on the trigger. Recent examples I am aware of are a faulty/broken holster, clothing drawstring, and bunched clothing. In each of these circumstances, a grip safety would have prevented the discharge.

A grip safety probably would not have prevented all of those. Most of the examples you mention happen upon reholstering. I know I always keep a full grip on my gun when reholstering which keeps the grip safety deactivated until I completely remove my hand.

That said, my carry gun has a grip safety. Because I like the gun and can't get it without a grip safety that I know of.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    My thoughts were that I considered the action of pulling my weapon in defensive situation & having to physically operate the thumb safety as another step in a stressful situation. I wanted it as simple as possible. Granted ... Repetition training would have probably of solved that but this was going to probably be my only gun for a long time. Like we all are saying on here... Have confidence in your weapon is so important. I feel I do with my XDS.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I prefer the grip safety as an aid to preventing accidental discharge when reholstering, tucking clothes back in, etc. Females have to manipulate their waistband/holster multiple times per day. I also have to remove my weapon anytime I enter a school, which is an average of several times per week.

I don't want a thumb safety, based on my experience in hunting and other high-risk activities. If there is "something" you need to do before you fire, I know that I will constantly be checking that "something" in an emergency situation. The grip safety activation will be automatic. When I have failed to have a high, proper grip in training (which was making a fast draw with a glove on), that served as a reminder to improve my grip. That kind of training is important to have anyway, from my perspective.

Obviously, there is the disadvantage if I ever have to shoot with an injured hand or some other unusual situation. At this point in time, though, I feel the chances of that are lower than the chance of a negligent discharge.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    [QUOTE I don't really understand what that protects against. In my mind, a "trigger safety" such as the one on a Glock or M&P ensures that the gun only fires when you pull the trigger, not when it gets dropped, used as ][/QUOTE]

This guy says different, a Glock will go off when re-holstered and a shirt gets in the way, it happens all the time.
    http://tactical****.com/video-police-chief-accidentally-shoots-second-time/

Higginbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Columbus
    [QUOTE I don't really understand what that protects against. In my mind, a "trigger safety" such as the one on a Glock or M&P ensures that the gun only fires when you pull the trigger, not when it gets dropped, used as ]

This guy says different, a Glock will go off when re-holstered and a shirt gets in the way, it happens all the time.
    http://tactical****.com/video-police-chief-accidentally-shoots-second-time/[/QUOTE]

Sorry, the link wouldn't work. Did his shirt get caught in the trigger guard? There are certainly plenty of cases where people get stuff caught in the trigger guard, which pulls the trigger and causes it to fire. However, that means the trigger got pulled. I'd like to see the video, especially if it's something else.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    You have to remember WHEN the 1911 was invented. Over a hundred years ago....and it was invented FOR the military..........for soldiers on horseback. From Ken Hallocks's .45 Auto Handbook..... " The Ordinance Board put forth the following specifications for a semi-automatic pistol. They are still pretty sound thinking today. #10. An automatic safety, such that the arm may be carried cocked and with a cartridge in the bore without danger and be ready for the first shot without any other action than pulling the trigger." Hence, the grip safety on the 1911.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    coonfingering. There was no excuse for taking his gun out in that store. :facepalm:

True, but if he had a grip safety his gun would not have gone off.

He could just as easily have done that holstering the Glock before he left the house.

Some people need all the help they can get, including the ones who think they know it all.

Top Bottom