• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • athyen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Tipton county
    I currently carry a Springfield Armory XDM 3.8 compact, primarily AIWB. It is a fantastic gun and I love shooting it and carrying everyday. However, there are times when I wish my XDM was a little smaller. Especially when carrying at some of the touchier places such as church, extended family, and my gf's family. I've gotten a puzzled "what is that?" look after hugs before... I am in the search for a smaller "pocket" pistol and a good way to carry it. Right now I seem to be pretty settled on a Sig P238 on P938. This is where my dilemma begins. Where to carry such a small pistol??? I realize that "in my pocket" seems like the obvious response... However, between phones, keys, wallet, and my knife, pocket real estate is very limited. I really like AIWB but wonder how stable such a small pistol will be in that location? IWB at 4 or 5 o'clock is also appealing, but I worry about flashing the gun when bending over or while playing with the younger kids. So, what do you guys suggest???

Edit: Mods, is this posted in the correct place?

Last edited:

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Right rear pocket which, for me, is empty anyway.
    attachment.php

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My "Pocket" handgun is a S&W 642 revolver. Typically it stays in my inside coat pocket.

If I actually have it in my pants pocket, then I do it with purpose... such as I'm at a family gathering, or going outside to my yard for a while. I rarely will need to adjust my pocket's contents in those situations to make room for it.

Otherwise, I'd always have my Glock on me. The pocket carry is usually just for those times where OC'ing isn't really "polite", for me at least.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    S&W Bodyguard in .38 spl. I wear it with a Desantis Nemisis holster in front pants pocket. It does print slightly depending on the pants, but 99.9% of people are oblivious.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Now that I have a good OWB holster for my Shield, I carry my J-frame less.

But when I do, it's in a Mika pocket holster in my right front pants pocket.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    I carry my 380 in my pants pocket, even with blue jeans.
    I also have a belly band holster. I find the belly band to be the ideal holster
    for me, in most situations.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Wear a sport coat or suit coat for church and your problems are solved. Lots of extra pockets and a cover garment if needed.

For more casual situations I almost always wear pants with more pockets than jeans, and or a fleece vest/jacket during colder months (again, more pockets and cover if needed).

During warmer months, I’ll sometimes shift non-essential pocket items to a bag.

Lots of options if one is willing to accommodate one's dress to carry. Fewer options if one is not.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I also carry a S&W 642 in the right front pocket. Pocket carry has a lot more to do with the depth and girth of the pockets than the gun. If you're putting a pocket gun in a pair of levi's it's more likely to show. I dress professionally at work with khakis most days and the poskets are very wide and deep. There's barely a noticable difference in the pocket with even my hands in or out.

Right from pocket only has holster and 642, left front pocket has spare ammo, flashlight, leatherman, etc.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... If you're putting a pocket gun in a pair of levi's it's more likely to show. I dress professionally at work with khakis most days and the poskets are very wide and deep. There's barely a noticable difference in the pocket with even my hands in or out. ...

There goes someone dressing in a way that facilitates carry, again. What is up with you people? Don't you know you're supposed to dress so that it makes carry difficult, and then complain about it?

athyen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Tipton county
    Thank you for all the insight guys, and thank you for the video BigTanker!

Haha, as I figured would be the case, pockets seem to be the location of choice. I should have included more info about my wardrobe and pocket layout in my original post. I wear jeans every day, nothing against other pants, Im just a jeans guy. Because of this, Im limited on my number and size of pockets. I dont wear tight jeans, but they are definitely on the tighter side of the spectrum. With my physique, baggy pants make it look like Im carrying a big ol turd around behind me... In my left front pocket I carry my personal phone. In my right front pocket I carry my keys, a pen, and my knife clipped to the pocket. My back right pocket has my wallet and my work phone is clipped to my belt at my left hip. My back left pocket is currently open.

I have considered carrying in a pocket, but I cannot seem to find any other locations for the things I carry in my pockets at all times. Unfortunately, I am pretty OCD about always having the these items in my pockets in the "right" locations. Carrying a pistol in my back left pocket could work, but being right handed Im not sure how I would deal with the draw or having to switch grip hands. Also, because of a back issue, my wallet had to be switched from my back left to my back right pocket because the pressure there would cause my legs to go numb. Im guessing a gun would do the same thing.

The jacket option is one I need to look into more. But what do you do when you get hot and want to take the jacket off? The majority of my family likes to keep their house at near sauna level... I am also intrigued by the belly band. a belly band in the appendix position could easily conceal a small firearm very securely. Are any particular belly band brands sugggested?

Also, have any of you with pocket pistols carried them IWB or AIWB?

athyen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Tipton county
    There goes someone dressing in a way that facilitates carry, again. What is up with you people? Don't you know you're supposed to dress so that it makes carry difficult, and then complain about it?

HAHAHAHAHA!!! You mean like me?!

Boy the timing of your post couldn't have been better and couldn't have applied more to me... Well played sir!

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I've never felt comfortable with a pistol in my pocket. I envision too many possibilities of things going wrong. I've learned to always go low with my right arm when hugging someone (I'm right handed) and this forces the other person's left arm (on your right side) to go high. No accidental discovery or puzzled looks this way.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    When I pocket carry it's a s&w 642 or a Kel-Tec P-11, both ride in Mika pocket holsters, which I believe to be the very best in pocket holsters. As for enough room to pocket carry, wear pants with more pockets to carry your crap ie, carpenter or cargo pants.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    HAHAHAHAHA!!! You mean like me?! ... Boy the timing of your post couldn't have been better and couldn't have applied more to me... Well played sir!

:stickpoke:

Just poking a little in good fun to get folks to keep in mind that choice of how one dresses is as much a factor in concealed carry as choice of gun, holster, location, etc.

Unless one's clothing is limited by job requirements (i.e. uniform) or something similar (ex. relatives' sauna-like houses), it's just another one of the choices in the mix.

Those who are committed to carrying have options to address the various contingencies commonly encountered.

Top Bottom