Are the ammo companies going to do the small-primer .40 thing on us?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    They did it with the .45, so I'm just wondering what those of you in the know think about this possibility down the road. Are there engineering factors preventing it, which I'm not seeing?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Maybe he meant converting to LPP like they did with .45? If that's the case, I have no idea, but hope it's just a very bad rumor.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I doubt they would convert 40 to LPP. The trend seems to be the other way. I assume because of price and lead free loadings.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    I really doubt they want to increase the cost of production. Which is why they tried to go to small pistol primers on 45acp. I wish they would have i already have to sort it may as well have changed it for the better.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I've shot and reloaded tons of .40 S&W and I have never come across any LPP cases. But even if so, it would hardly be much trouble. I also reload .45 ACP and I just sort them by primer size, prime the cases and then finish reloading them. I've not ever noted any difference in performance. Much ado about nothing IMHO.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I doubt they would convert 40 to LPP. The trend seems to be the other way. I assume because of price and lead free loadings.

Also priming technologies have advanced and will continue to advance.

If one can get the same results with a less-expensive-to-manufacture primer...then the company will generally do so in order to maximize profits.

But - it's not like LPPs will quit being made. Still plenty of cartridges that need them. For now, anyway.

Imagine a day 20 years in the future when .44 Mag is touched off with a SPP... ;)

Top Bottom