• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Just wanted to share my newest acquisition...I'm pretty excited about it.

Sphinx SDP Compact

sphinx.jpg

Anyone else have one, or am I a lone wolf??

GS45

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    I looked at one, nice looking gun and I liked the way it felt in my hand, but it didn't seem very compact to me.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Reeeaaallllyyyyyy want to shoot one. Unfortunately way out of my price range for a range toy.

If anyone who has one would feel comfortable loaning it out I'd love to do a write up on it. :cheers:

Last edited:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Don't know anything about Sphinx handguns except they appear to be in the Sig / HK price range. Nice looking piece of hardware. Not sure I'd call it 'compact', but that's a subjective definition, anyway.

Maybe post a review after a through range test.

Cannonfodder333

Shooter
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    I just bought one two weeks ago at Beech grove firearms...I got a great deal on it....I shot it last weekend and I am so impressed with how well it shoots. I am still adjusting to the controls but shooting the gun well is almost effortless. I was pleasantly surprised with how little recoil there was and how easy it was to double tap. I also just got a nice holster and am looking forward to my next shooting outing!

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Sorry guys, I've been REALLY busy lately...Surgeries and other things on my plate.

1.) I still have LOTS of love for my HK's, I've just decided to switch it up a bit
    2.) As for quality, I have heard nothing but good things. Each piece is handmade and fitted my a master gunsmith in Switzerland to provide extremely tight tolerances, while sticking making it combat effective. They are not quite as tight/fitted as their predecessors (sphinx 2000, and 3000) however they are designed to be DUTY pistols, while the former are widely accepted as the best competition pistols in EU. Elite groups over the pond are contracted to use the SDP compact, including the Swiss Nuclear plant guards :)
    3.) From my understanding, I think the nod goes slightly to the Sphinx vs the CZ. It's really hard to say though because they are truly different guns. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase either one though, especially since the CZ has the new omega triggers. (I could be WAY biased too, as I love my Sphinx)
    4) The guns are imported by KRISS, the same people that make the Vector. Both guns are relatively new to the market (past couple years) and It's really taken that long for the popularity to grow...which they still (the sphinx that is) dont have that HUGE of a following.
    5.) Currently, the Sphinx comes in several models: Compact- (SDP compact) in the Alpha, which has a nitride or TiNi (cant remember) SS slide, aluminum lower, with a polymer trigger guard and grip/magwell. They make this configuration in Sand, duo-tone, and Krytpon green as well. They also make these versions with a complete aluminum lower. These are more popular on the competition circuit, however there have been reports of whether one is "better" than the other. They also currently have a "subcompact" model I believe only in the "Alpha" configuration. I recently just purchased this firearm too, similar in size to the shield (but double stacked 13 rounds) and I will post more about that when I receive it! And lastly, this year they are supposed to release their full size variants. Currently all models are only being offered in 9mm, with plans of more calibers to be released.
    6.) Holsters are limited; G-code and Raven concealment offer actual kydex molds while safariland has the ASL designed for Sphinx 3000 which will fit the sphinx. I have an INCOG, and OSH from G-code on the way and the subcompact shipped with the subcompact.
    7.) Unloaded the Sphinx comes it at 28.04 oz, and loaded it comes in at 37.36 oz (15 round magazines)
    8.) On our local shops trigger pull scale the DA break pulled 11-12lbs while the SA was pulled between 5-6lbs. I've only shot 100 rounds through her though, so like most hammer guns I'm anticipating the pulls to lighten up more. I will say though while heavy, it is smooth with a crisp break and short reset. The DA has a distinct point where you CAN stage it, and you hit a slight stiff point (this is where I'm guessing it will smooth out). A straight pull to the rear though is constant and smooth. SA is stupid. It is the perfect break, clean crisp, and definitive, with no mush or play and an extremely short reset. It rivals a tuned Sig out of the box.
    9.) Both models I ordered DO NOT have night sights, they're more of a combat sight picture (blacked out rear, white front) HOWEVER Defiance, a sister company to KRISS, has released night sights to come standard on the newer pistols. Not sure about after market purchase availability yet.
    10.) I'm really liking the SDP compact so far. I have nothing but good to say about currently. Feel free to ask more questions and I'll do my best to answer. Here are a few pictures for size reference and my first outing.

***ALSO- Magazines are compatible top down in the whole series :)

Comparison of the SDP compact to a P228.
    2015-02-03.jpg

Stock photo of the SDP compact vs SDP subcompact (on bottom)
    2015-02-03.jpg

This was from a google search that led me to another forum (cant think of the name) SDP subcompact vs the S&W shield (not my photo, thank you to whoever took this!)
    2015-02-03.jpg

First mag through the Sphinx (my left thumb was/is broken with a pin in it, and my wrist had bone taken from it to use as a graft for thumb. This is from shooting right handed only at 7 yards)
    2015-02-03.jpg

Last mag and 1/2 through the Sphinx (still one handed at 7 yards)
    2015-02-03.jpg

I think this gun will be a bullseye shooter once I can shoot with both hands again. For now, those groups are acceptable to me for only shooting one handed. Also, it should be mentioned that while one headed manipulation isn't as easy with the Sphinx, it can be done. In fact, you can rack the slide (with the hammer cocked back) off a pair of jeans no problem to chamber a round. The sights make it a bit challenging, but it is definitely doable.

Hope this helps, or atleast entertains some of you. I will post an update when the subcompact arrives, and when I get a chance to shoot both!

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    I don't have one, but I've got it on my ever growing list. Other than price, I've heard nothing but good things. Honestly, if it feels and performs the way I've heard then I don't think the price is that bad at all.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Sphinx is a more expensive version of the CZ, my dad had one in .40, never shot it, but it fit my hand like a glove, just like a CZ 75. The Sphinx is after all Swiss.......nuff said.

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Sphinx is a more expensive version of the CZ, my dad had one in .40, never shot it, but it fit my hand like a glove, just like a CZ 75. The Sphinx is after all Swiss.......nuff said.

My sentiments as well. Say what you will, but there is something to be said about German/Swiss quality when it comes to firearms. Austria on the other hand... *insert whistling smiley face* lol JK, theyre alright.

GS45

Top Bottom