Ruger Lightweight Commander, who's getting one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Thanks for the articles and review. Now I have to go buy one to go with my full size SR1911 :D

Of course, with the MSRP at $899, I'll be hoping street prices hit more like $650 or so. I paid $599 for the full size and won't pay more than $700 for a carry 1911. Hope it's reasonably priced as I really want one now!

Last edited:

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    That is sexy and I like the lightweight commander configuration. I may have to have one.

But I do hope it gets down under $700 close to the price of the other Ruger 1911 models.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    MSRP is about $50 more. I am guessing street price around $700-$750. Kid that works for me wants one. His only handgun is a Springfield loaded which he is talking about trading. I am encouraging him to keep the full size and save up for a carry model. I carry a lightweight SW1911 and they are a bit much for all day shooting compared to an all steel full size. 29 oz 1911 does carry nice though.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Here is the promo video from Ruger announcing the new model. Interesting that they put in a titanium feed ramp. My dad owns Kimbers and I have noticed that the feed ramps on his guns are getting beat up. This is one of the reasons why I never thought to own anything less than a steel 1911. It looks like Ruger addressed the problem nicely. :)

[video=youtube_share;9UAze6t5wAQ]http://youtu.be/9UAze6t5wAQ[/video]

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    This is one of those guns that I had no idea existed 10 minutes ago and now am wondering when I can add one to the safe. I see several ways that this would be an upgrade over my Kimber Compact. The frame finish is shabby on my Kimber after years of carry and it lacks front strap checkering. Both are things I've wanted to address but will cost money to do right. I also prefer the bushing instead of the Kimber's bull barrel for ease of take down.

Give me a couple of more minutes and I'll rationalize a bunch more reasons to buy another carry 1911.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    This is one of those guns that I had no idea existed 10 minutes ago and now am wondering when I can add one to the safe. I see several ways that this would be an upgrade over my Kimber Compact. The frame finish is shabby on my Kimber after years of carry and it lacks front strap checkering. Both are things I've wanted to address but will cost money to do right. I also prefer the bushing instead of the Kimber's bull barrel for ease of take down.

Give me a couple of more minutes and I'll rationalize a bunch more reasons to buy another carry 1911.

I think that Ruger and Jeff Quinn are the first to talk about this new model. Both videos came out yesterday so join the club. When I saw the title of Mr. Quinn's Youtube video, I started drooling right away. :)

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Ruger has been coming out with cool new versions of their existing lineup. I really like the looks of this. I guess I can save up some money and then read reviews of this who purchase it first while I'm saving.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    MSRP is about $50 more. I am guessing street price around $700-$750. Kid that works for me wants one. His only handgun is a Springfield loaded which he is talking about trading. I am encouraging him to keep the full size and save up for a carry model. I carry a lightweight SW1911 and they are a bit much for all day shooting compared to an all steel full size. 29 oz 1911 does carry nice though.

While my Ruger is now actually making it through a whole 50 rounds at a time without choking, I would sure never entertain the thought of trading away a Springfield loaded to get one.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    While my Ruger is now actually making it through a whole 50 rounds at a time without choking, I would sure never entertain the thought of trading away a Springfield loaded to get one.

Hindsight 20/20 I wish you had started with a 5" gun instead of your commander. I will be the first to admit that my commander sized gun needs a bit more TLC then my 5" models. I wish you were closer because I bet it wouldn't take much to have that gun of yours running 100%

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I'm kinda diggin' that commander but good googly gook. I need some front strap checkering, is that too much to ask? Yeah I know, if I want to pay for it and I do!

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I think adding a bobtail option would make this an even more solid and tempting offering. I really like that look on a 1911, and my shirts/couches/car and truck seats do as well. Definitely worth a hard look, I've always liked the commander-sized Ruger. I bet they will sell a lot of these new models.

Top Bottom