• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I have a kel tec p3at with two extra magizenes, one regular and one extended. I was thinking about looking for a Bersa thunder in .380 to trade for it. Any thoughts?

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Well, the idea behind it is for it to be a gun any lady friend to shoot who may come into my life.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Well, the idea behind it is for it to be a gun any lady friend to shoot who may come into my life.
    The P3AT isn't a friendly gun to shoot. They're very accurate once you're used to the nubby sight.
    The little suckers have some nasty to them when shot.
    The Bersa is easier to shoot but not by a lot.
    The G42 Glock is the friendliest little .380 to shoot that there is. My experience with all 3 mentioned.
    OF the 2 you mentioned for a lady to shoot would be the Bersa without a doubt.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    The P3AT isn't a friendly gun to shoot. They're very accurate once you're used to the nubby sight.
    The little suckers have some nasty to them when shot.
    The Bersa is easier to shoot but not by a lot.
    The G42 Glock is the friendliest little .380 to shoot that there is. My experience with all 3 mentioned.
    OF the 2 you mentioned for a lady to shoot would be the Bersa without a doubt.
    I agree that a Bersa would be easier to shoot (I can't entertain he idea of a G42 because I don't want to give any money; I'd prefer a straight trade). I'm trying to decide which would be better. I shoot revolvers so it wouldn't matter much to me. This keltec has a laser on it but I doubt any Bersa I came up with would. I also have an iwb holster that'd fit a Bersa. I know I'm probably putting too much thought into this, but it'd probably be easier to have a gun on hand already instead of having to find one.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Small, compact gun that's easier to conceal and with a laser vs. small, compact gun that's less concealable and without a laser?

JMO, but for 'any woman that comes into your life', take the time and effort to teach her to use the handgun (any handgun) well, and it won't matter if the P3AT is a bit (and it's a bit) 'harder' to shoot. Both the Kel-Tec and the Bersa are .380's, an easily controllable round. Women are certainly as capable as men at learning to handle any firearm, and often have better hand/eye coordination to boot, generally speaking.

A handgun is only as 'hard' to shoot well as the amount of time and effort any person (male or female) takes to learn to use it.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Small, compact gun that's easier to conceal and with a laser vs. small, compact gun that's less concealable and without a laser?

JMO, but for 'any woman that comes into your life', take the time and effort to teach her to use the handgun (any handgun) well, and it won't matter if the P3AT is a bit (and it's a bit) 'harder' to shoot. Both the Kel-Tec and the Bersa are .380's, an easily controllable round. Women are certainly as capable as men at learning to handle any firearm, and often have better hand/eye coordination to boot, generally speaking.

A handgun is only as 'hard' to shoot well as the amount of time and effort any person (male or female) takes to learn to use it.
    Fair enough :): I thought I was set until my best friend didn't like her keltec because of the kick. She's pretty tough and shoots a lot but I guess everyone is different.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    The Bersa might be harder to conceal, but is not hard to conceal.
    My experience between the Kel-Tec and the Bersa, is the Bersa is more accurate,
    and more reliable.
    I personally, would rather carry a more accurate and reliable pistol, and find a way to
    conceal it. I use a belly band for my Bersa, and find it a good way to carry.
    Over 1200 rounds through my Bersa Thunder 380, and NO issues.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've bought 3 and sold 2 Bersa .380s. I love the little guns but when I buy one, I end up trading it for something else only to regret it and run out and buy another. This last one is a keeper though and to be sure I don't trade it away, it's on long term loan to my son. My sister carries a Bersa .380 as her primary handgun.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Keep ur Keltec, I've had both still have the KT's. I could make assumption on why most have failures with them, but I won't.
    KT P3at ZERO MalFs!!
    KT 32 ZERO MalFs!!
    these have been my sons favorite handguns since he's been 6-7 yrs old (hes now 14) so they have some rds through them!!
    Bersa shot great and nvr an issue, Just to big for pocket carry. IMHO

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have both a P3AT and a Bersa CC and hardly ever carry the Bersa anymore due to weight.

My +/- with the guns.

P3AT

Small
    Light
    No slide hold open
    Sucks to shoot, chews up my finger from the trigger guard just by being sharp and hard.

Bersa CC

Better ergonomics
    A lot nicer to shoot
    Heavier
    Fairly soft metal slide that will start deforming where the hold open hits. Nothing really bad as it has a lifetime warranty. Best to pull back the slide to release it instead of flipping the release.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I have a P32 and love it. I have a good pocket holster, and you don't even notice it's there, but you have 8 rounds of .32 love available (more with other mags) I have a 10 round mag I keep for more ammo. Kel-tecs get almost as bad a rap as Hi-points with gun snobs ( I don't like hi-points based ONLY on looks) but all the KT's I have shoot all ammo, and are reliable.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I have a P32 and love it. I have a good pocket holster, and you don't even notice it's there, but you have 8 rounds of .32 love available (more with other mags) I have a 10 round mag I keep for more ammo. Kel-tecs get almost as bad a rap as Hi-points with gun snobs ( I don't like hi-points based ONLY on looks) but all the KT's I have shoot all ammo, and are reliable.
    I'm a big keltec fan myself, I'm just trying to reach a decision.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    For what it is worth, my girlfriend (who is small and has never shot a gun before) actually enjoyed my father's P3AT when we went shooting. It is small for my hands, but actually fit her hands very well (since she has smaller hands). She had no problem with center of mass shots as 7 yards.

She shot some generic 90 gr FMJs and even fired off a hot 102gr +P Golden Saber reload. She didn't seem mind either.

I think the Bersa is a great gun, but it is definitely larger. With practice, I think the Keltec is probably more versatile (for both you and her).

Top Bottom