Open Glock build feedback - Carver / SJC / Others?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sdunsworth

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Columbus
    I'm sure I'll hear "Buy a 2011", but I'm gonna start this thread anyway. My EDC is a Glock. My Production gun is a Glock. It's not that I'm against other platforms, in fact, I own several others including 1911s, revolvers, etc.

I HAVE a LW Open Glock setup for 9 Major. My issue is that it's built on the LW frame that has more of a 1911 angle than a Glock. As such, it *feels* different enough to me that transitioning from my Production G34 to it takes additional time to align sight picture. I'd like to be able to bounce back and forth between Divisions and maintain a constant *feel*. As such, I'm probably gonna sell the LW Open and build (or have built) one based on a standard frame.

I'm currently leaning toward having it built to take advantage of professional tuning by someone that KNOWS the platform. The question I'm posting to fellow INGO'rs is: Does anyone here have experience with custom gunsmithing work done by SJC or Carver? I'd REALLY love to talk to someone that has one of their guns and possibly meet FTF and look / feel / discuss.

hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    I couldn't afford an already built gun from carver so I decided to put my own together. His stuff is top notch. I researched the 2011 before I chose the glock platform. The exorbitant magazine price was the deciding factor against the 2011 platform. Not to mention the fiddling with the mags to get them to run reliably.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I have an SJC-built limited gun and it shoots wonderfully. It's a Glock 24 with a SJC-fitted KKM barrel. The difference between the fitted and "drop-in" barrels is profound. I sent one of my loaded rounds (BBI 180 grain coated) to SJC with the gun and they throated the barrel specifically for it.

If I had to do it again, I might avoid the heavy SJC magwell. It doesn't leave a lot of room to grip the gun if you have large hands.

Top Bottom