• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warrumr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2014
    Beech Grove
    Im looking to buy my 1st CC weapon and im looking at a couple glocks but my concern is im not really sure how I feel about glocks not having a safety. I understand how they are made and that they pretty much will never fire without pulling the trigger but im still concerned about the whole no safety thing. Can anyone help recommend anything else or maybe try and ease my concerns? Thank you.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If you're not comfortable with it then don't buy it. Try some rental guns until you find one that you like. If you like the polymer guns and would prefer a safety I think some M&Ps still come with safeties. Don't worry about following the crowd or what they think. Pick your gun based upon what you think will work for you.

warrumr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2014
    Beech Grove
    A guy at my work has the shield and I shot that and its nice and comfortable but the grip on the gun is just short of my pinky. I have very big hands and I would really like to have eth FNS-9 but I dont know anyone who has one to shoot and no gun range around me has one that I can rent.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Double action pistols offer a significant amount of safety. First shot requires a greater pull on the trigger vs. subsequent shots. Glocks as I understand it are not DA.

Last edited:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Try out as many options as you can before buying. Shoot Range rentals or friends' guns if you can. See what you shoot most naturally and what is most comfortable. It will do you no favors if you buy something that you don't like shooting because of recoil or ergonomics because you won't practice with it. Don't buy into the caliber war hype, either. For example, If you are only proficient with a .380, over the larger cartridges, then carry a .380 until such time as your skill level develops. Two or three well placed hits with a small caliber is much better than 5 or 6 not so good ones with something larger. A miss is a miss, no matter how big the bullet is.
    Whatever you decide to buy, invest in a quality gun belt and holster as well. These items can make the difference between being comfortable carrying your side arm or leaving it at home where it will do you no good should the need arise.
    On that same subject, research the availability of holsters for your chosen sidearm before you purchase. Some of the newer offerings have not been on the market long enough for the holster manufacturing industry to catch up to them yet.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You can go in a couple of different directions.
    • There are very good competitors that have external safeties, like Ruger, S&W and Springfield Armory and others. You might want to consider them.
    • Get some hands-on experience- either in formal training or at the range. It is very possible that you will become more comfortable without external safeties with experience. Of course, you could also get one of the other brands and either stick with them or switch to a non-external safety gun when you are comfortable.
    • Whichever way you go, it is your choice. I'd recommend some training and or range time with more experienced people until you are comfortable with a decision.
    Using external safeties is a matter of choice and somewhat of a religious argument as there is no obvious, right answer. Good luck on your journey and feel free to ask for assistance on INGO.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    You can go in a couple of different directions.
    • There are very good competitors that have external safeties, like Ruger, S&W and Springfield Armory and others. You might want to consider them.
    • Get some hands-on experience- either in formal training or at the range. It is very possible that you will become more comfortable without external safeties with experience. Of course, you could also get one of the other brands and either stick with them or switch to a non-external safety gun when you are comfortable.
    • Whichever way you go, it is your choice. I'd recommend some training and or range time with more experienced people until you are comfortable with a decision.
    Using external safeties is a matter of choice and somewhat of a religious argument as there is no obvious, right answer. Good luck on your journey and feel free to ask for assistance on INGO.
    I absolutely agree. You will evolve as a shooter as time goes by. There is really no way to predict where that evolution will take you. The more you can practice, train and shoot before investing in a gun the better that investment will be.

warrumr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2014
    Beech Grove
    Thank you all for the opinions and overall helpful information. I will look into other weapons more and try and stick with a 9mm since I am more proficient with that caliber over any other. Thank you all!

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    My carry gun of choice is the Ruger SR9c, and I highly recommend you give it a try:

Ruger® SR9c® Compact Centerfire Pistol Models

It has an external thumb safety (ambidextrous), as well as a magazine disconnect. It also runs for a bit over $400.

That said: I do think your fear of lack of external safeties on Glocks is a non-issue. Religiously* follow the Four Cardinal Rules, carry in a holster designed for your firearm, and an external safety is redundant. Unless your finger is on the trigger, it is NOT going to fire. I carry my SR9c with the safety off.

(In fact, my routine is to engage the safety when removing the holster from my belt, to keep the gun in the holster when not on my person, and then when I put the holster back on my belt, I remove the gun, fix the holster on my belt, and then disengage the safety as I holster the gun. I am a creature of deliberate habit in this regard. I know that the gun is always safety-on when not on my person, and always safety-off when on my person. If I have to draw under duress, I don't want to have to trust fine motor skills to disengage the safety before being able to fire.)

I would recommend finding the gun that is comfortable for you to shoot, and easiest for you to handle. As you grow in your comfort level with your chosen firearm, the presence (or lack) of safeties will likely diminish as a matter of concern.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    When buying a Glock for carry, you should factor the cost of a quality holster into the purchase. On some pistols, a good holster makes your life easier by making the gun more comfortable to carry. With a Glock, the holster should be considered as part of the safety system. The gun will fire when the trigger is pulled, no matter if it's pulled by your finger, a shirt flap caught in the holster or a flap of leather folded inwards on a cheap floppy holster. Some guns have different means of ensuring safety during holstering, such as putting your thumb between the hammer and slide on a 1911 or CZ. A Glock has no other means aside from just checking for obstructions before holstering. They are great carry guns when handled with respect and carried in a quality holster.

BTW, it took me years to get comfortable with the idea of not having a safety. Before I carried Glocks, I carried either a 1911 or a CZ. Depending on the time of the year, I still carry either of those. No matter what gun you carry, you need to make sure you carry safely.

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    Im looking to buy my 1st CC weapon and im looking at a couple glocks but my concern is im not really sure how I feel about glocks not having a safety. I understand how they are made and that they pretty much will never fire without pulling the trigger but im still concerned about the whole no safety thing. Can anyone help recommend anything else or maybe try and ease my concerns? Thank you.

Your first CCW is like driver's education. Less is better. Also, If one is not of sound mind, shouldn't be behind the wheel of an automobile or behind the trigger of a GLOCK.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Glocks are INDEED a double action (striker fire) pistol.

Semantics matter... the mechanics are slightly different than a true Double action. That's why they most commonly refer to glocks as "safe action,,striker fired" pistols.

This thread is full of good advice (surprisingly ki d and gentle... come on, rough up the new guy a bit)
    Get what you feel comfortable with.
    don't count out revolvers either - i wish someone would have had me shoot a ruger lcr or a J frame smith before i bought and sold 3 or 4 glocks. If it's a carry gun, keep it THIN!!!

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    Semantics matter... the mechanics are slightly different than a true Double action. That's why they most commonly refer to glocks as "safe action,,striker fired" pistols.

This thread is full of good advice (surprisingly ki d and gentle... come on, rough up the new guy a bit)
    Get what you feel comfortable with.
    don't count out revolvers either - i wish someone would have had me shoot a ruger lcr or a J frame smith before i bought and sold 3 or 4 glocks. If it's a carry gun, keep it THIN!!!

the mechanics are INDEED SLIGHTLY different than a conventional heavy double action pistol. With that disclaimer, it still takes TWO (double) mechanical, and completely separate, actions to make a GLOCK go boom.

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    I think the 'no safety' thing is an advantage for most people. Guys (and gals) who practice daily or weekly will have little problem disengaging the safety under a highly stressful situation. On the other hand, someone who practices only once a month, or less, when suddenly confronted with a situation that puts them under extreme duress, like having to draw their gun for self-defense, will probably not remember to disengage the safety. Note what chipbennett said, even tho his gun has a safety, he carries with it 'off'. Handle a gun safely and you should not have a N.D., safety or no safety.
    I like my Glock and I like the fact that it, like my old revolver, will go bang if I pull the trigger.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I had the same concerns about Glocks when I was looking for my first handgun. I really liked the G19, but ended up purchasing a Ruger SR9c instead. The Ruger helped put my mind at ease since it has a safety as well as a loaded chamber indicator. As I have gotten more comfortable with guns and safe handling I would be comfortable without a safety now.

I agree with chipbennett, if you follow the 4 rules, it shouldn't be an issue. However, I highly recommend checking out the Ruger SR series if safety is your concern. They are very reliable and accurate as well.

UGaARguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2015
    Lawrence County
    I've owned Glocks, a Ruger SR, an FN FNS, S&W M&Ps, and have pretty good experience with Springfield XD pistols. Of all of them, the FNS has the best trigger out of the box. I'd put Glock and XD as a tie for second best. I actually like the Ruger SR trigger better than the M&P trigger, but others will disagree. The SR is both the thinnest of the bunch, and has the most contoured slide, both of which make carry very comfortable. The FNS has the best feeling grip, with the SR a close second, followed by the XD, Glock, and M&P in that order - HOWEVER, grip feel is highly subjective. The thumb safeties on the SR and the FNS are the least obtrusive. The M&P thumb safety is bigger, and much more 1911-esque. The XD's grip safety is the least obtrusive manual safety, and I like that it's essentially auto operating.

I'd go handle an XD, SR, and FNS. Dry fire if the shop(s) will let you. Even with the significant mil/LE discount I qualify for on an M&P I'd still buy any of those three (if not a Glock) before I bought another M&P.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    INGO. You have let me and the OP down. He wants a carry gun with a safety. Nobody has recommended a 1911 yet? I'm disappointed.

Just kidding......

As stated earlier, try everything you can get your hands on. Revolvers too. A SA/DA (like a 3rd gen S&W) is another good possibility.

Get some training too. Even before you decide on a gun.

Top Bottom