• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flylow86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    My current Glock lineup is: G42, G23 gen4, G19 gen4

Of course, I am going to keep the 42 for concealment during warm weather and just because I want to. However, does it make sense to keep both the 23 and 19? I understand that I can place a barrel in the 23 and basically have a 19, with the possibility of minor reliability issues.

I guess my question is: if you had to sell the 19 or 23, which one would you choose and why? I will likely keep both, but maybe one of you will change my mind.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Hold on to them both. They take the same holster, so you're good there. Plus, when (not if) the next ammo panic happens, .40 will be much easier to find than 9mm.

I have a 19 and I'd really like to add a 23 to my collection for those reasons. Unfortunately there are a couple of others on my wish list ahead of it.

Last edited:

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    I agree with MCgrease08 - Heaven knows there will be another ammo crisis (just look at the situation with 22s still). Besides, you might get the wife interested in shooting...19 is perfect for that. Get her onboard, sets you up for more toy buying.....:smileak:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Yeah, keep both. If you HAD to sell one, you could sell the G19 and just swap barrels in the G23 (with potential reliability issues, as you mentioned). If you have 6 other guns in .40, and no other 9MMs, then that might be a reason to get rid of the 9mm (consolidate), although some would see that as a reason to keep the 9mm also -- so you're not a one-trick pony that can only use .40...
    This all made sense in my head, but my fingers are not communicating well :)
    If you don't HAVE TO sell one of em, keep them both.

You could even sell one and get a fun wheelgun, or an all steel gun (like a CZ) ... that's what I would do if I were you. Only recently have I started to appreciate a wider variety of firearms ONCE YOUR MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS ARE MET. So, if a G19 plus your G42 fill your minimum requirements, get something different

CheckmARk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Sounds like Glock is your chosen platform, which is fine. I'd suggest keeping the 23 and taking the following steps:
    Get at least 500 trouble free rounds through your 19 and make it your primary carry.
    Buy a conversion barrel for your 23 and make it your range gun. You might have to swap the RSA and ejector. Lots of info out there. You'll also have the aforementioned ammo situation covered.
    Save to buy a 2nd 19 as a backup & qualify it for carry with at least 500 rounds. Keep it reserve in case something happens to your primary.
    Take classes with know professional trainers & continue to develop your skills. Many classes will require you to have a 2nd gun as a backup so you've got that covered.
    Future money goes into ammo, accessories & training.
    If you decide to switch platforms some day, acquire the primary, makes sure it's what you really want to do and repeat the steps.
    I know it's boring, but you'll save in the end and be a better shooter for it.
    Best to ya!

flylow86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I like what I am hearing so far. The holster situation is a plus, along with the fact that .40 may be easier to find if there is ever another ammo crisis/situation. These are actually our only 3 handguns for the time being; I sold a 9mm Shield awhile back to a close friend. To be quite honest, I am one of those who absolutely loves the Glock platform and design.

One other piece of info... if I did decide to sell/trade, I had considered the replacement being a 36/30sf/30s.

Of course, that is a completely different conversation. Thanks for the input so far.

flylow86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Sounds like Glock is your chosen platform, which is fine. I'd suggest keeping the 23 and taking the following steps:
    Get at least 500 trouble free rounds through your 19 and make it your primary carry.
    Buy a conversion barrel for your 23 and make it your range gun. You might have to swap the RSA and ejector. Lots of info out there. You'll also have the aforementioned ammo situation covered.
    Save to buy a 2nd 19 as a backup & qualify it for carry with at least 500 rounds. Keep it reserve in case something happens to your primary.
    Take classes with know professional trainers & continue to develop your skills. Many classes will require you to have a 2nd gun as a backup so you've got that covered.
    Future money goes into ammo, accessories & training.
    If you decide to switch platforms some day, acquire the primary, makes sure it's what you really want to do and repeat the steps.
    I know it's boring, but you'll save in the end and be a better shooter for it.
    Best to ya!

Very good advice and information. I'll be the first to tell myself I need more range time and training, rather than a safe full of handguns that can't hit their target.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have several 9mm and several 1911s in 45 but love my Gen 4 23.

I'd sell the 23.

I don't like 40, and 9mm is cheaper to shoot.

Yeah, keep both. If you HAD to sell one, you could sell the G19 and just swap barrels in the G23 (with potential reliability issues, as you mentioned). If you have 6 other guns in .40, and no other 9MMs, then that might be a reason to get rid of the 9mm (consolidate), although some would see that as a reason to keep the 9mm also -- so you're not a one-trick pony that can only use .40...
    This all made sense in my head, but my fingers are not communicating well :)
    If you don't HAVE TO sell one of em, keep them both.

You could even sell one and get a fun wheelgun, or an all steel gun (like a CZ) ... that's what I would do if I were you. Only recently have I started to appreciate a wider variety of firearms ONCE YOUR MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS ARE MET. So, if a G19 plus your G42 fill your minimum requirements, get something different

As you can see from above, both are great pistols and both have their proponents and detractors. If you can, I'd recommend keeping both for all the reasons mentioned above. I noticed you say 'our' and 'we', so is it safe to assume you have more than one person in your household? If so, having the second gun has benefits there in that if you have a significant other, they can be armed as well. One of my most carried guns is a Glock 23. It's by far, my favorite Glock and if I had to drop down to only one, that would be it. But, I also own a G19 because its easier for my wife to shoot than the G23 is.

Having both also makes perfect sense in a world that's prone to ammo shortages from time to time. When ammo is available, you can shoot the G19 more due to cheaper ammo. When ammo is scarce, you can keep shooting since there's usually .40 S&W on the shelf well into an ammo shortage. So, when you see the supply 9mm beginning to dry up, pick up a couple of boxes of .40 and you'll be able to keep practicing when the 9mm only folks are sitting on the bench.

flylow86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    As you can see from above, both are great pistols and both have their proponents and detractors. If you can, I'd recommend keeping both for all the reasons mentioned above. I noticed you say 'our' and 'we', so is it safe to assume you have more than one person in your household? If so, having the second gun has benefits there in that if you have a significant other, they can be armed as well. One of my most carried guns is a Glock 23. It's by far, my favorite Glock and if I had to drop down to only one, that would be it. But, I also own a G19 because its easier for my wife to shoot than the G23 is.

Having both also makes perfect sense in a world that's prone to ammo shortages from time to time. When ammo is available, you can shoot the G19 more due to cheaper ammo. When ammo is scarce, you can keep shooting since there's usually .40 S&W on the shelf well into an ammo shortage. So, when you see the supply 9mm beginning to dry up, pick up a couple of boxes of .40 and you'll be able to keep practicing when the 9mm only folks are sitting on the bench.

That is correct, and she isn't the most accurate with throwing stars... not that we would keep them next to the bed anyways. That is a good point however, 2 is always better than 1.

As my cousin mentioned a few nights ago, it seems like the preowned firearms market is fairly saturated as of lately, so getting top dollar could be a struggle.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Me, I'd sell the 23 because I'm not a big fan of the .40. I prefer either 9mm or .45 but again, that is just my preference. As others have said, if you have other guns in 9 or .40 it would make the most sense to keep one that shares the most common ammo you would normally have on hand. It was one of the reasons I got rid of my .40; I had thought about the next ammo crisis but instead of splitting your time buying 9 and .40 why not just stock up on 9mm anyway and beat the next crunch? Turning that 23 into money for extra mags for the 19, ammo or even reloading equipment would go a long way into insuring you had plenty to shoot and practice with when you needed it.

BluBlur

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2015

this is some good advice. Unless you're hurting for cash and willing to take a hit on selling a pistol, keep both.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'd keep them both. Those who don't like the .40 aren't shooting the better (heavy, slow) loads in it. A 180gr load under 950fps or 200gr under 900fps is a very mild

bdwc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Noblesville
    That is correct, and she isn't the most accurate with throwing stars...

I have nothing to add to the op, but that response made me laugh out loud. And since throwing stars are still illegal in IN, she won't be able to practice with them much. Better keep all the Glocks! Look at that...I had something to add after all!

Top Bottom