• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I've got a chance at a good deal for a police trade-in pistol. Are these generally good deals, or does it get beat up and shot out while it's in police service?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The only one I bought (at least I was told it was) was an old model 10 and that was 15 or more years ago. Other than holster wear, you couldn't tell it was shot much.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Police aren't out shooting perps every day and most don't practice much. Examine it before you buy, but it is likely that there will be far more holster wear than worn barrels.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Late '80's early '90's I bought a ISP trade in, it was a S&W Combat 66. The action was tight, but the finish was worn. Wish I still had that thing.

solarpimp

Plinker
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Irvington
    Same here. Carried everyday shot every year. Mostly external wear but mechanically sound. I've bought Smith's and Beretta's. Both were handled and shot very little.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    It CAN be hit/miss with the guns.

If you can get a "hand picked" option, do that.

If it's the Beretta platform... you'll want to inspect the locking block on your own anyhow. That's a well known failure point on those pistols. Thankfully easy to replace.

Figure in at least a whole-sale spring change once you receive it.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I passed awhile back on a bunch of Ruger 38spl six guns in stainless. They were cosmetically beat up on the outside pristine on the inside. Don't think they were shot much at all. For two hundred a pop a guy couldn't get hurt on it.

I passed because they didn't say 357 magnum on the side. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Glock trade in. Just have to check it out and see what kind of shape versus price on a new one.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    A few years ago, there was a dealer in Ohio that had a bunch of USPC LEMS .40s for $400. Some were pristine, almost NIB like, then when he got to the end of the lot they had usual scars from holstering etc.

A HK 'truck' gun for $400.

YMMV of course.

:ingo:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I never had a bad pistol or revolver from a police trade in. Holster wear, banged up sights, grips all knicked up ect. That does not make it pretty but does not hurt the function or accuracy. I picked up a G-17 that was so full of lint I was amazed it worked. The guy must have worn sweat shirts a lot. They are shooters, not safe queens.

Last edited:

dleak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    floyd county
    i picked up a police trade-in at last gun show i went to ... glock 19 ... looked good to me $150 less than "new" ... took it to my LGS/gunsmith , he said it looked NEW to him .... as long as you are happy w it , go for it !!! i almost never buy new...

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I used to work for a dealer who moved a lot of police trade ins back when Glock didn't own the LE market (yet). Lots of nice S&W revolvers with very low round counts but lots of holster wear. Most LE only qualifies once a year. If you're not worried about finish condition you can get a very good deal. I would want to eyeball the gun before purchase though.

Chippp1961

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Some of my best purchases have been Police trade ins. An ISP Glock 17 that looked like it had never been carried and a Sig P226 for hundreds less than new that I dont think had ever been removed from the factory box it came in.

maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    I was looking at a glock 21 police trade-in at bradis's on Thursday same situation lots of external wear the only thing that scared me off was the price, with tax it would have been well over 500.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Most Officer guns get shot 50 rounds twice a year and an injured animal here and there.

Really? I can't speak for other PDs, but we shoot a lot more than that. Our qual course is 45 rnds, and we get mandatory practice sessions prior to that, and an open range right after (after quals end), the following week (PD ammo supplied). And that's not even counting the tact courses and night shoots we also take.

Top Bottom