Does anyone know what "Polymers" are used in Handgun production?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cziemer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2015
    Monticello
    I work in plastic injection molding, and I've always wondered what plastic polymer framed guns are made out of. I've done some googling, but my guess is they're trade secrets. I have a few guesses but I haven't looked at a plastic gun close enough to try to figure it out. Might have to run to town and take a look at a few to see. (Only gun in the house currently is a Nickel plated revolver). Just curious being up early on a Saturday with not much to do...

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I'm sure they are all a proprietary mix but as with most plastics, probably start with something akin to what we call nylon. But additives, stabiiizers, etc. are surely added to make it tough enough, resistant to typical gun cleaners and oils, have good performance hot and cold.

I'd be really surprised if any gun maker published their formula but you might have some luck researching the supplier side. I'm sure the base material comes from one of the major petro-chemical companies and they might even offer an off-the-shelf material that is close. Talk to a plastic sales department about your requirements and they probably have a technical note on this.

cziemer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2015
    Monticello
    I had a pretty good idea that they would be a PA of some sort, just wasn't too sure with all the new "Very High Molding Temperature polymers on the market." I mainly work with PP, ABS, AES, PC, PA6, PA12, POM, LDPE, but when you work with something everyday you begin to wonder how it relates to your hobbies, and I was thinking the other day that Polymer handgun frames nearly have to be Injection molded to save cost, so that began the wonder of what plastic they were made out of.

Just found this: http://www.themoldingblog.com/2011/09/16/glock-pistol-is-an-insert-molded-nylon-marvel/

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'd imagine that the actual polymer matrix is "relatively generic"... But the various amounts of additives and types of them are what really separates them

Also, the cynical part of me presumes that there are two or three big companies in the country that do several make's frames with just few tweaks.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    attachment.php

I think there is a spigot on the side of the red tank.

cziemer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2015
    Monticello
    Little more looking into Ruger's site lists the frames as Glass filled Nylon. If that's the same across the board (barring binders and stabilizers) There's a lot in common between Glocks and Ford/Mazda gas pedals.... :dunno: lol

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I would imagine that it's reinforced or filled with something to spread the load around through the frame. Don't know if it's an internal structure or just something like chopped Kevlar which does a pretty good job on it's own.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Most of them are made from glass filled Zytel. Glass filled Zytel has been around since at least the 1970s, Gerber and many others have used it (and still do) for all of their "synthetic" knife handles. It is extremely tough material. I have a couple of large drift punches I made from some Zytel rod stock for bumping "tight" pistol sights without leaving marks on a customer's gun and they have held up very well for many years. After using one for a while and being amazed at how tough it was I took a big hammer to one and "tried" to break it by driving it repeatedly into a large cast iron anvil. No dice - and it's still in service on the bench. Resists most solvents as well. Really tough stuff. I have also seen and used some armorers blocks for driving tight pins out made from Zytel and it makes a great block to hammer on.

Last edited:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Anybody else remember the Remington Nylon 66 rifle? A polymer .22 rifle designed when Gaston was just a young punk. I think it was the first polymer gun ever made. NASA actually considered it for a survival gun for the space program because of it's light weight.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Enhanced cross linked polymers.

"When cross links are added to long rubber molecules, the flexibility decreases, the hardness increases and the melting point increases as well."

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Anybody else remember the Remington Nylon 66 rifle? A polymer .22 rifle designed when Gaston was just a young punk. I think it was the first polymer gun ever made. NASA actually considered it for a survival gun for the space program because of it's light weight.

Just saw where the plastic buttstock on the BAR was the first plastic used on firearms. History Channel I think

Top Bottom