• ...and so much more!
  • Megatron

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    Elkhart County
    Good afternoon all,
    My father just passed away this past Monday. He fought a hard long battle with non-hodgkins lymphoma for 15 years. He was a vietnam vet and just wouldn't give up. He left some guns in my possession and I'm trying to find out what is a fair asking price for them as he wanted me to sell them and give the money to my mother.

Is this the place to ask what the specific guns he's left me are worth, or is there another area I should post this question? I'm just wondering general approximate worth as I haven't been able to find much information online.

These are the guns:

Taurus PT917 CS 9mm

EAA Witness Compact Steel .45

Smith & Wesson Model 4013

Smith & Wesson .38 Special CTG Stainless 4" Barrel Model 67

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Megatron sorry for your loss and welcome to Ingo. You should probably post in the Handguns subforum and we will do our best to give a fair estimated value.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Good afternoon all,
    My father just passed away this past Monday. He fought a hard long battle with non-hodgkins lymphoma for 15 years. He was a vietnam vet and just wouldn't give up. He left some guns in my possession and I'm trying to find out what is a fair asking price for them as he wanted me to sell them and give the money to my mother.

Is this the place to ask what the specific guns he's left me are worth, or is there another area I should post this question? I'm just wondering general approximate worth as I haven't been able to find much information online.

These are the guns:

Taurus PT917 CS 9mm

Smith & Wesson .38 Special CTG Stainless 4" Barrel

Thanks in advance.

On the Smith, look under the crane and there should be a model number

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Megatron, I'm very sorry for your loss and welcome to INGO. Something that may be helpful is a starting point. I will sometimes look on www.gunwatcher.com to see what the going rate is for a new gun. Then you can work back from there (age, conditions, rounds, down the pipe, etc.).

Hope this helps.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I believe there is a form of "blue book" if you will now a days like you have for a car. However people here who know a bit more about those guns I am sure will help you...

Sorry for your loss, I am sure your father was a great man.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Good afternoon all,

These are the guns:

Taurus PT917 CS 9mm

Thanks in advance.

As a starting point
    taurus: about 325-350 +/-
    EAA: not sure, maybe 400-475 (extra mags, holster, etc??)

These might be a bit high or low, but that puts us in the ballpark.

Ill let someone else comment on the S&Ws

solarpimp

Plinker
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Irvington
    I'm sorry for your loss.
    The 4013 will depend on what model it is. The TSW models will bring more. Police trade-ins of 59 series weapons might effect the value, but the 4013 is a compact and I would say it should bring in the $500 range.
    The model 67 will depend a lot on the age of the weapon and will be specific to the serial number as a lot of folks collect these revolvers. I'd say it could be anywhere from $450-$650 depending on specifics (age and condition and possibly whether original box is included).
    I'd put the Taurus at $350-$400 the PT917 is a compact version of the PT92, which is one of the better weapons that they make and basically a Beretta 92 copy w/ a frame mounted safety.
    The EAA/Tanfoglio (Is it Italian made or Turkish?) .45, I'd put a 9mm or .40 at around $300, but being a .45 ACP might get an extra $50-$75, putting it at $350-$400
    These are just my opinions, good luck finding homes and taking care of your family.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good afternoon all,

These are the guns:

Taurus PT917 CS 9mm

Thanks in advance.

I am 12 years out with Non-Hodgkins.......I know what he went through.

Sorry for your loss.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    My sincere condolences to you, your mother and family. Because condition is so important, it is hard to give a value of firearms without seeing them. The next best thing is to see quality photos. If you didn't live at the other end of the state, I would be happy to look them over and give you an approximate value. If you can give an accurate assessment of the condition, the Blue Book of Gun Values can be a good general guide. If you want to get retail value, one thing you don't want to do is sell them to a gun shop or pawn shop. You'll only get around 50% of the value. That being said, unless the guns are extremely popular (I don't see any) it will take some time to sell them on your own. Good luck in your quest.

Megatron

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    Elkhart County
    Thank you all for the responses and condolences. It's very much appreciated. From what I can tell it looks as though the guns were barely used at all. I know my dad liked to buy/sell/buy/trade etc a lot of his guns without ever shooting them... For what reason, I have no idea. But even when his health declined to the point where he really wasn't able to go shooting anymore, he still did this... I will try and get some good quality photos up so people can tell me the condition they appear to be in.

Is there anything specific I should take pics of? I'm assuming basic over all shot, wear point shots, rifling/barrel shots???

Again thank you all for your help.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thank you all for the responses and condolences. It's very much appreciated. From what I can tell it looks as though the guns were barely used at all. I know my dad liked to buy/sell/buy/trade etc a lot of his guns without ever shooting them... For what reason, I have no idea. But even when his health declined to the point where he really wasn't able to go shooting anymore, he still did this... I will try and get some good quality photos up so people can tell me the condition they appear to be in.

Is there anything specific I should take pics of? I'm assuming basic over all shot, wear point shots, rifling/barrel shots???

Again thank you all for your help.
    Just some sharp, close photos of each side, front view and rear view should do it.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Sorry about your loss.

Even if the guns are new unfired solarpimps prices are spot on. You are lucky if you get those prices. Good luck.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    My sincere condolences. I too inherited a bunch from my father when he passed. I don't know how into guns you are or what sentimental value they may hold, but as for me, the guns I inherited were the ones my dad taught me how to shoot with when I was a kid, so I would never even think of getting rid of them. The memories that come back every time I pick one up are worth more than any dollar amount.

Just my two cents here, so take it for what it's worth: Don't be too quick about it. Not saying disregard your fathers wishes, but just step back and let things settle for a bit. Hang on to those for a while just to see how your feelings might change over time. If it really bothered you that much, kick your mom a few bucks and sell them to yourself. At least, that's what I would do.

Top Bottom