• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Trying to find a useable gun for elderly female with small weak hands (not arthritic - yet). She's not recoil shy and currently uses a 1911 and a Glock 17 on the range - her husband cycles the slides for her.

She wants to be able to carry it and draw and fire with one hand. She wants a decent self defense caliber.

It takes the index fingers of both hands for her to pull the trigger on a J Frame DAO.

I suggested that she try a Ruger LCR - easier trigger.

I also suggested a Kahr arms 9mm - v easy trigger pull BUT exceptionally difficult to cycle slide !

Any ideas ?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Weak hands cycling a slide is often a matter of technique rather than strength.
    This is well worth a read. I'm sure some of our local instructors can verify this...

Rack the Slide | Cornered Cat

...“I’m not strong enough to do the slide …”
    If I had a nickel for every time I have heard variations on that theme, I’d be a wealthy woman today. Despite this, it is my contention that healthy adult women who really-and-truly cannot be taught to rack a slide are very, very, very rare. I’m almost tempted to say there are none at all...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Just trouble with the slide?

I'd try some full sized 9mm or even a <gasp> .380. The full-sized slide should have a lighter spring, and be easier to grip. The smaller caliber/cartridge should also have a lighter recoil spring.

My wife has similar issues. She cannot move the slide on my Kahr CM40 at all, and my XD40 is difficult for her. She has no issues with a full-sized 9mm, and (of course) our little P22.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Weak hands cycling a slide is often a matter of technique rather than strength.
    This is well worth a read. I'm sure some of our local instructors can verify this...

Rack the Slide | Cornered Cat

“I’m not strong enough to do the slide …”
    If I had a nickel for every time I have heard variations on that theme, I’d be a wealthy woman today. Despite this, it is my contention that healthy adult women who really-and-truly cannot be taught to rack a slide are very, very, very rare. I’m almost tempted to say there are none at all.

Totally agree with this, but beyond that, she's accustomed to the Glock, and it will give her 17+1 before she even needs to think about anything like that... Yeah, I know, we can "what if" it to death, but all of those apply to any other gun, too.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My mother has bad arthritis in her hands. Her 38 special just wasn't doing it for her, and she have her Glock 19 to my younger brother, it was too large for her very weak hands. And she just couldn't rack te slide.

Turns out, a Glock 26 was PERFECT. She now owns one, and carries it. And she very much enjoys shooting it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Totally agree with this, but beyond that, she's accustomed to the Glock, and it will give her 17+1 before she even needs to think about anything like that... Yeah, I know, we can "what if" it to death, but all of those apply to any other gun, too.

I agree with your reasoning also. I'd bet my life on that gun running 18 rounds too.

Still I'm guessing there is a method for even her to reload the gun herself. Be it the technique outlined in the article or using both hands, the rear sight and the kitchen table. :)

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Does it have to be an automatic? Why not a revo w/ a little trigger work? .38spcl or that .327 magnum that federal came out with a few years ago wouldn't make a bad SD round.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I don't know if she would be open to carrying a .380, but the Walther PK380's slide is incredibly easy to manipulate. I can do it with two fingers.

cat_page_pk380_tech_lg.jpg

tonybia

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    7   1   1
    Apr 24, 2013
    You might think this is a crazy suggestion, but the Rock Island 22tcm 1911 double stack is an awesome choice. The one I have comes with a 9mm barrel and of course the 22tcm. The 22 tcm gives you a high velocity, soft armor piercing round with a super easy to rack slide and since she is familiar with the 1911 its a comfortable platform. The gun has no recoil, a big boom, and holds 17 rounds ( If i remember right). The gun also doubles as a 9mm with a slightly stiffer racking, all using the same magazines. I love mine-- its super accurate and a blast to shoot. If you are in the Fort Wayne area you (or her) are welcome to try it out. But seriously, give it a good consideration as it is definately a gun worthy of carrying and shooting if need be.

T

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Ruger's new LC9s is small thin and has a very good trigger, because of the small frame there is some recoil but it is still a really good shooter for smaller people with small hands and little hand strengh

WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Thanks for all the input.

Seems like Walther have some offerings worth looking at.

G26 may be an option too. I'll get her to try one.

I was going to suggest a Beretta 380 with the tip up barrel, but I suspect they would be tough to find now, and she seems set on 9mm or better. Glock and Walther should be good quality choices. Just need to get her to a gun store to try them out (Walther may not be in every gun store).

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    i would try getting a good trigger in the glock, along with one of those charging handles. i would think that could give plenty of leverage (although slide racking with almost 20 rounds in a glock should be a non-issue)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don't have an opinion about such topics. But I have learned to listen to bwframe, lovemachine and iChokePeople.

bigelowe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    bullitt county
    Stay with the glock and teach her to rack the slide using the leading edge of the rear site against a sturdy object, or her belt edge, like a one handed or disabled shooter would do.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    While this is a rather expensive option, you might consider getting a semiauto pistol with a micro red dot installed on the slide. They function like handles for the slide, and make racking the slide incredibly easy. (ie mechanical advantage = less force needed to achieve the same outcome.)

Additionally, if the hands are getting weak in old age, there's a good chance eyesight is diminished as well, and many older shooters find it easier to focus on a single red dot than to align front and rear sights.

Again, it's a little pricey, but it would achieve all your needs!

Top Bottom