• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brewster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Bloomington
    I am going to Wyoming for a pretty lengthy camping trip this summer. What are some handguns you would recommend for carrying in the woods? I'm leaning towards a .44 mag so perhaps a s&w 29 or 629, but both are pretty big for my hands. Any other thoughts?

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Some will say .44 mag is a minimum. Some will say Glock 20. I say pack bear spray as a back up no matter what handgun you decide on.

And an 1895g in .45/70.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    44 mag will be fine, a lot of guys carry 44, 41, 500... If you would consider a auto a 10mm would be an option. Then you can go Glock or 1911 depending on your preference. I think a nice heavy duty revolver would work great though... If you are truly worried about weight and carrying it around buy the Glock 20.

I don't have personal experience up in bear country with this, but I have talked to some guys who guide in Alaska and one that hunts bears for Exon. Some of them said 44 hard cast is the minimum and really a handgun is the last thing you want anyways (this is for Grizzly or Polar Bear). They say you could almost be better off with Spray as you will often need to deliver a head shot or a very critical blow with a handgun if they are right on you.

For bears you will encounter in Wyoming however everything mentioned should be fine! My uncle up in Minnesota carries a revolver I think. But for the lower 50 ill go with the Glock because I am more confident using it than a revolver especially if stressed.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I am going to Wyoming for a pretty lengthy camping trip this summer. What are some handguns you would recommend for carrying in the woods? I'm leaning towards a .44 mag so perhaps a s&w 29 or 629, but both are pretty big for my hands. Any other thoughts?

Just FYI you can get smaller grips for The S&W Revolver.
    Most of the recent manufactured S&W revolvers are RB(roundbutt) and are the same size no matter what frame size.
    The K,L,N, and even the big X frame guns can use the same grips. As long as the gun is RB.
    Note some wood grips can be a problem(fitting) due to manufacturing tolerances but all rubber grips should interchange.
    If there is some other size issue you were having with the 29/629 this won't help but if the grip is just to big get some smaller ones.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    Whatever 44 mag or up handgun, use HARDCAST bullets 300 gr +. A hardcast bullet for bear is just as important as the cal.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    You asked about handguns, but I have been looking at taking a shot at Alaskan back country activities and plan on packing some of these in an 870 for bear medicine (along with bear spray of course).
    600 grains at 1500fps
    Ballistic Data 12 / 3

I would be working around and out of a camp, so no backpacking makes choosing a long gun easier.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    You asked about handguns, but I have been looking at taking a shot at Alaskan back country activities and plan on packing some of these in an 870 for bear medicine (along with bear spray of course).
    600 grains at 1500fps
    Ballistic Data 12 / 3

I would be working around and out of a camp, so no backpacking makes choosing a long gun easier.

I would lean towards a SHORT/COMPACT shotgun AND a handgun if possible (I assume you're not going alone, and everyone should have SOMETHING on them at all times). Remember that MOST bears are as scared of you as you are of them, and when cubs are involved all bets are off.

And, depending on the area, wolf encounters aren't out of the question

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    :welcome:
    What is the purpose of your trip, and where in Wyoming will you be spending time that you are worrying about bears?

Having spent quite a lot of time trekking my tired geologist behind up, and down, and up, and down, and up and all around Wyoming, I have only ever encountered one bear on the trail, and he was not nearly close enough to need a gun. Most bears you *may* encounter are far more likely to be black, not brown, so a huge .44 isn't mandatory; a bear-bell, some quality pepper spray and heads up situational awareness would be my choice for dealing with bears. Maybe some binoculars to see the Brown beasts at a distance if you get lucky.

Now snakes on the other hand, they are flippin' everywhere. One of the most terrifying experiences in my travels is half-falling, half-stepping directly onto a rattlesnake and having it strike at me. Thank the Man it missed...

If you insist on having a gun, make sure you have shot shells for it, whatever you choose. Also, ticks will attack daily (read: Take DEET, don't wear blue, check any suspicious feelings in your shorts), and the state flower of Wyoming should be Poison Ivy (cold water wash with synthetic soap). Have FUN!!!

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    This one:

961789.jpg

for real though, make sure you've got hollow points of what ever caliber larger than 9mm that you have. If you carry anything 9mm or smaller in bear country, at least be nice to the bear and bring a bottle of BBQ sauce in your pack. He'll like that.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I would lean towards a SHORT/COMPACT shotgun AND a handgun if possible (I assume you're not going alone, and everyone should have SOMETHING on them at all times). Remember that MOST bears are as scared of you as you are of them, and when cubs are involved all bets are off.

And, depending on the area, wolf encounters aren't out of the question

I would likely take my hd shotgun. It has a 20" barrel with rem choke & fiber optic rifle sights and I shoot everything from steel@100 yards to clays with it. I would like a shorter barrel (18"?), but I have shot this configuration a bit and I like it.

As to handguns, I would probably leave the glock 19 at home and take my xdm in .45 with some kind of hard bullet. I know .45 acp is not a bear round, but I have some experience shooting autos and my likely partner in crime carries the same thing so we could share mags if needed.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I've loaded DOWN for my .44 mags and they love it. I use a 300gr hard cast Cast Performance flat nose bullet at only 1,000fps. It is very managable and still hits with twice the energy of a .45 auto.

Top Bottom