• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I'm looking for a small semiautomatic .45 to carry IWB under a light t-shirt this summer. What I'm looking for is the smallest package I can get while still delivering that .45 punch. My two front runners right now are the Para Slim Hawg and the XDS 45. Any other recommendations and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Kimber Ultra CDP. NO sharp edges and MINE was very reliable.
    If you could find a Detonics, that would be even better. Again, mine shot well.
    YMMV

Bob

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    I just got an XDs 3.3 and I love it. I used to carry a CM9 as my EDC but I have switched to the XDs. Very accurate gun.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    The XDS was my choice and I've never regretted it. Compact, light, still pretty easy to shoot and with a good holster it disappears. I've never had a single FTF/FTE yet and it has a couple thousand through it. A set of cheap talon grips and it's perfect IMO.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I'll throw in another vote to the XDs. I love my 1911s, but the XDs is lighter, smaller, and will eat anything you feed it without complaint. That, and its probably going to be less expensive than any of the other options that you will find.

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    I tried the XD-S subcompact after I read this:

What's the Best .45 Subcompact Pistol on the Market? - Handguns

I was more than impressed. Sold the glock 36 and never looked back. It's all personal preference... YMMV!
    The only downside for me was 5 rounds XD vs 6 glock. Truth be told, if I put myself in a situation that 5 rounds of 45 can't get me out of... I should take a serious look at my life choices!

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    IMO, 45 acp from a sub 3.5" barrell wont give you what youre looking for.

Glock 30 Gen 4 will fit your needs.
    10 + 1, not much bigger than a 26 and the dual recoil spring makes follow up shots breezy.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Given your criteria I would seriously consider a Glock 38 or 39.. Don't let anyone give you that "ammo is hard to get and really expensive".. 7-8 Cents a round more than ACP and a Glock 19/26 size pistol.. For a small carry gun a 39 is hard to beat and the prices are VERY reasonable.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    IMO, 45 acp from a sub 3.5" barrell wont give you what youre looking for.

I can appreciate your point EricG. Although, in my experience, "moving up" to a 3.5" or even 3.7" bbl from 3.3" is a negligible improvement. Robust, quality ammunition is still robust from a smaller bbl. (as long as you don't reduce the bbl under 3")
    Holy moly... I guess size DOES matter! :horse: I use Speer Gold Dot 230 grain "short barrel" ammo. Advertised at 820fps, and designed to expand at lower velocities, I believe it will give the man what he wants. But hey, "lookin for a small 45" is actually a contradiction in terms. I do like your G30 suggestion though... 10 + 1 45acp? That should be enough show stopper for anyone!

Last edited:

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Yet another vote for XDS. Small enough to carry easily, but big enough to shoot accurately and quickly.

Top Bottom