• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I recently acquired a new-in-the-box Colt Detective Special in .32 New Police caliber. I’ve always liked the classic snubbie revolver lines and considered the Colt Detective Special to be the epitome of that gun style.

However, as I did some searching, I found an unusual bit of history surrounding this gun. But first, some of the standard history around this fine firearm.

25qbrx2.jpg

The DS made its debut in 1927. Colt shortened the barrel of the Police Positive Special model and it became a hit among plainclothes officers and undercover and off duty police who enjoyed the concealability of the small revolver. Most were supplied with 2” barrels however a small number of 3” barrels were produced. Smith and Wesson didn’t even try to compete with Colt until 1950 when they released the Chief’s Special.

The most common calibers offered were .32 Colt New Police and .38 Special. The .32 Colt New Police is identical to the .32 Smith and Wesson Long except that the Colt offering had a flat nosed bullet and the S&W had lead round nose bullets. One story I read had it that Colt management was dead set against offering one of their guns bearing any caliber designation that included “S&W” and so the .32 Colt New Police was created. Time has a way of evening the score. The .32 Colt New Police is no longer commercially available, but .32 S&W Long is still in production.

The early DS had a square butt with a more rounded grip produced starting in 1933. The unshrouded ejector rod gave the DS its classic looks. Shrouded ejector rods were added 1973. During all the decades of DS manufacturing, Colt continued making modifications to the DS (heavy weight barrel, different grips and grip length, and a variety of finishes).

The Detective Special line was finally discontinued in the mid 1990s.

20arrwh.jpg

Now for my minor mystery.

When checking the manufacturing date via serial number on the Colt company site, I was told that my gun was made in 1978. The open extractor rod design was discontinued around 1972 (earlier by some accounts). Additionally, according to gun valuation guides, the newer DS models were all chambered for .38 Special ammunition.

With a little more investigation I came up with this explanation. In 1977 and 1978 Colt did make some Detective Specials from previously inventoried parts. This included some .32 Colt New Police cylinders and barrels. The runs were small enough that they shared serial numbers with other models and most gun catalogs don’t note their manufacture.

The end result? I’ve learned something new in the always interesting world of firearm history.

Hope you enjoyed it as well. :)

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Very cool! Thanks for the write up. I had the pleasure of shooting a DS last week. I'm now on the hunt for one in .38 special.

You are correct in Colt not wanting to produce a firearm chambered for a round with S&W in the designation. The reverse was true as well, as evidenced by the S&W Model 3 American and Schofield designs. Winchester did not play well with others back then too.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    With a little more investigation I came up with this explanation. In 1977 and 1978 Colt did make some Detective Specials from previously inventoried parts. This included some .32 Colt New Police cylinders and barrels. The runs were small enough that they shared serial numbers with other models and most gun catalogs don’t note their manufacture.

Colt has used repeated serial numbers several times throughout their history, but that's pretty interesting. A DS has been on my "want but not enough to pay for just yet" list for awhile. :D

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Very nice, I love Colt wheelguns! They seem to have done a lot of variations on several types of revolvers, I only have a Python but would like more types if the option presented itself! Your's looks great, Esrice and yourself can have snubbie battles now! :)

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Your revolver seems to be begging for a Colt factory letter.

Might make a big difference in value.

I don't have any idea the cost on these letters.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Have one of the old models in 38sp, needs a new hammer spring, something that goes out over time on these.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Your revolver seems to be begging for a Colt factory letter.

Might make a big difference in value.

I don't have any idea the cost on these letters.

Over on the Colt Forum they say that the letter can be had for $75.00.
    May have to 'Run' a Trooper MK III?? HA HA...Bill.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I had one of the mid 70s models with the shrouded ejector rod.

It was my first wheelgun and somebody carried it for a long time before I got it, as it had a ton of holster wear and character.

Some P.O.S. stole it in a home break-in last year. I'm still hopeful IMPDs finest will recover it and return it to me someday.

20130316_171335-1_zpshhc1tmgp.jpg

BeDome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Mine is a nondescript late '70s model, parkerized, enclosed ejector rod, kind of heavy for its size, five shot beauty, capable of +P rounds.

It sleeps next to me.

Top Bottom