Thoughts on the Ruger SR1911 LW? Any reason not to pick one up?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I've been thinking about the new Ruger SR1911 lightweight commander. I got a chance to handle a couple of them and liked it. I liked the thin grips and the slightly smaller beavertail. I'm not a fan of a large high beavertail since I have normal to small hands. I couldn't get pinched with the hammer if there was no tail at all and I was trying to.

Are there any problems or issues with these guns yet? I know they are fairly new but the reviews seem pretty good. If I do go with a 1911 I want at least a 4" barrel and an aluminum frame. I've owned several different all steel 1911's in the past and while they were nice to shoot I didn't enjoy carrying them.

I would probably be getting rid of the last XDS in the house in trade. It's a bi-tone 4" 45. Just not a fan anymore. The XDS has 300 rounds through it. Two 7 round mags and one 5 round. All the typical gear. A PRP kit installed and a kydex belt slide holster. Not a mark on anything.

Any thoughts on the Ruger? Thoughts on what I should expect as a trade offer on the XDS?

10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood
    I would post yours for sale in the classified section as you will most likely get a better price for it versus a trade value.
    I have also been thinking about going this route but haven't handled one yet, I'm afraid to, last time I went to "just look" , I came home with it.
    Don't ever tell the wife you are "just looking" she already knows what you are doing.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I thought about posting it in the classifieds but sometimes that's a PITA depending on how far I need to travel to make the deal. Also, if I get cash for it instead of trade value I'll most likely spend it on a new HF radio instead of the Ruger. I have other 45's but no radio at the moment.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I was looking at the lw commander version of the SR1911 as well. I've been carrying the full sized SR1911 OC and it carries very well, but it's a bit heavy to carry all the time. Thought about the lw commander version for IWB carry. If you pick one up, please post your thoughts on the gun. I saw Rural King in Greenwood had one in stock at $739. Not sure what LGS pricing is, but you can also pick up online for ~$700.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    From what I've seen and knowing Ruger's reputation they look like a bargain to me..
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I have the Ruger 1911 commander, it has been 100% reliable out of the box. My past experience with Ruger customer service has been great. I have been looking at the LW version as well.
    IMO you cant go wrong with the Ruger 1911 of any model.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I bought one about 2 months ago from KyGunCo. $708 shipped. Love the gun! Absolute tackdriver with my LSWC reloads. Grip is very thin, I have med-large hands and it fits very well. Gun is tight, so much that you need the bushing wrench for takedown (at least so far). Titanium ramp helps to feed everything well. Felt recoil is a bit more than a steel gun, but if you shoot 1911's, it's nothing you can't handle. As far as I know, these guns come in 2 flavors, black anodized frame or brushed aluminum frame. Mine is the black and it's really set off by the stainless steel slide, nice looking gun!

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Pretty sure I'm going to pick one up today or tomorrow, if it's still in stock at the LGS. I was just curious if anyone had heard of anything wrong or bad about them yet. I know that titanium insert is new. There was a youtube review where this guy had problems feeding HPs from a full mag. He downloaded them to 5 rounds then shot 175 more at the range. When he got back it would still hang on HP's with a full mag but would feed from 6 rounds. Both mags IIRC. I'm sure this is an anomaly since that was the only thing negative I've heard so far.

ront

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    United States
    Here is a review I did a while back on the new SR1911 LW CMD. Hope it helps.

Ruger SR1911 LW CMD

Hi all. I am not much of a review writer, but I picked up the new SR1911 Light Weight CMD a couple weeks back and wanted to share some thoughts and a pic with you.

I have owned the SS version of the SR1911 CMD as a reference to my thoughts. The SS version had to make a couple trips back to Ruger in the beginning, but they finally got it right and it was a great gun. It was very accurate and a joy to shoot. My only real issue with it was, IMHO, a bit heavy to carry. I know lots of people do everyday, but it just pulled my pants down. I do own regular gun belts as I carry often. I am sure that some of the issue is also my physical make up. I am a bit heavy and my hips tend to be hiding a bit.

Anyway, I saw the LW CMD being talked about and set out to find one. I looked at and handled several of them before deciding on one. It seemed that all of the ones I looked at, including mine had a loose grip safety, at least compared to my SS version. I could hear it rattling when I was carrying it and walking. I looked online and found a very easy way to fix this and now the grip safety does not rattle at all. Another thing that I noticed on all of the LW’s that I handled was that the thumb safety seemed to be a bit mushier than on the SS CMD that I had. It was real crisp on and off. Now it is crisp when I push the safety up, but not very crisp when pushing it down. It is not really a problem at all, just something I noticed and it bugs me a bit. But the safety works fine. When I got the gun I also noticed that the front sight was not centered. I did not think much about it until I shot the gun and saw that my shots were left of center target. I then drifted the front sight left (more toward center) and that brought it right on target. It shoots very well now.

I really really like the new LW CMD a lot!! I don’t really feel much difference in felt recoil between the SS CMD and the LW CMD. The LW is much easier to carry IMHO. I have carried it all day long and while I still have to pull my pants up at times (remember no hips) it just rides much better. I like the slot cutouts in the front of the grip as hell as the thinner grips. It feels more secure in my hand. The Rugers are my first 1911’s. I have never really seen the draw of the 1911, but I am very well starting to now. There does not seem to be a lot being written about the LW CMD yet, but as more comes out, I think it is going to prove to be another winner for Ruger.

I am including a picture. I know there are far more expensive and prettier 1911’s, but I think this one is a mighty fine looker also. Thanks for looking. Please comment if you wish and I will answer any questions if I can.

Ron

Ruger%20SR1911%20LW%20CMD%202-XL.jpg

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    It found it's way home with me today. Range report will be after this coming weekend. After looking everything over once I got home I like the gun. Everything is nice and tight on it. No rattle in the grip safety, nice and crisp trigger without being too light. I hope I can get out this week to try it out but if not I will make time this weekend. Now to get a holster and look into night sights.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    From what I've seen and knowing Ruger's reputation they look like a bargain to me..
    NRA Life Member-- GSSF member
    Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructorCertified Glock armorer

I would have to agree. They are making excellent pistols for the money.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I think you'll like it. I have the all steel SR1911 CMD, and really like it. About 100 rounds through it so far and no issues at all. It does have the grip safety rattle, but it is at the gunsmith right now getting a bobtail and trigger job. He is going to tighter up the grip safety too. Hopefully it will be back in the next week or so.

My only gripe is the size of the Ruger logo on the side.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I have ann SR1911 Commander but not the lite weight.
    For the price point it is well made and so far has ran very well.

Ruger says this gun is built to be more durable with the titanium feed ramp. We shall see. I've never seen or heard of any other firearm doing something like this. My main concern is how it will hold up over time. I have no doubt the titanium can take the abuse of the rounds impacting it. I'm wondering if there will be any problems down the road. I don't know how they mated the two materials together. I know that the aluminum and titanium have different densities and heat differently. I'm wondering if the Ti insert will work it's way loose somehow over time. If the Al heats and expands differently could that cause a problem? If that Ti insert gets loose or comes out then you are SOL.

I've got about 400 rounds to heat it up with this week. If those all go well then I'll break out the HST's so I can weep & cry for a bit as they go downrange. I picked up a Wilson 7 round while I was there as well.

spanky_27

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Columbus
    sr1911

It found it's way home with me today. Range report will be after this coming weekend. After looking everything over once I got home I like the gun. Everything is nice and tight on it. No rattle in the grip safety, nice and crisp trigger without being too light. I hope I can get out this week to try it out but if not I will make time this weekend. Now to get a holster and look into night sights.

How many mags did it come with?

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I've never shot one but I held one a while back. Felt really nice in my hands.

I doubt you'll be disappointed.:twocents:

Top Bottom