• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I'd be interested in what someone else's experience is with carbon before trying it myself. Carbon fiber is pretty incredible stuff.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'd be interested in what someone else's experience is with carbon before trying it myself. Carbon fiber is pretty incredible stuff.

Yes it is. I will wait until the jury comes back on the carbon.
    I would like to see how the SS frame fits up to a good slide. I would hope they leave some meat on that bone for fitment.........:)

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Carbon steel not carbon fiber. The second link is stainless steel.

One of these days I'll make myself a 1911... someday...

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I took a chance and ordered a stainless steel frame. Hopefully the parts to complete the assembly will not cost more than purchasing a new 1911.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I took a chance and ordered a stainless steel frame. Hopefully the parts to complete the assembly will not cost more than purchasing a new 1911.

Keep us in the loop and to fit/finish please.
    Get a "Good" ignition group when you put your parts pile together.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I need to check my leftover 1911 parts from shooting bulls eye for the Army Reserve.

Did you run OEM parts in that competition. I had a Camp Perry gun and it was all out of the box stock parts that fit up nicely. Trigger was OK but nothing like my tuned pieces. Put a good kit in it. Well worth it.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    Did you run OEM parts in that competition. I had a Camp Perry gun and it was all out of the box stock parts that fit up nicely. Trigger was OK but nothing like my tuned pieces. Put a good kit in it. Well worth it.

The issue 1911s were National Match prepared ball or wad-cutter pistols with fitted parts and NM barrels/bushings, NM hard slides and Kensights. The parts I have left over are things like hammers and sears that didn't make weight a Kart barrel that wasn't properly fitted, a NM slide with Wichita sights, and various small parts.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The issue 1911s were National Match prepared ball or wad-cutter pistols with fitted parts and NM barrels/bushings, NM hard slides and Kensights. The parts I have left over are things like hammers and sears that didn't make weight a Kart barrel that wasn't properly fitted, a NM slide with Wichita sights, and various small parts.

HHHhhmmmmmmmmmm........Is there enough meat on the barrel to fit it up in another gun?? If it will lock up properly they offer some really nice bushings.
    Sounds like you have a good start.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    How tight can you make a 1911 without effecting reliability? I swapped a "drop in" Storm Lake into my Springer Loaded and it's pretty tight. A good snap on the slide will open it up. It's nothing like stock though. I haven't gotten to shoot it yet.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    The problem with the Kart barrel is the outside of the barrel bushing was over cut to the point that it is loose. The barrel is good but a new bushing needs to be fitted.

The Army moved away from the precision matches and to the M9 pistol. I stopped shooting for the Army Reserve when the All Army Match was opened to any soldier who wanted to shoot there. I think All Army was opened up because there was little marksmanship funding for the Division and numbered Army matches.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom