• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kcollins143

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Looking to buy a colt 1911. What model/series is the best bang for the buck. I feel if I'm going to spend the money I mise well spend a little more and get a 70 or 80.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    If you are looking for a more "modern" 1911, look at an XSE version. They are "enhanced" with undercut trigger guard, upswept beaver tail grip safety, skeleton hammer, three-hole alumnium trigger , Novak sights and front slide serrations.

BTW, Colt just dropped XSE's from their line up (literally last week), so there will not be new ones produced any longer. You can still pick up a brand new one online or probably at the Indy 1500 this weekend. Check out ZX Guns, they probably still have them.

tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    There's guys way more knowledgeable on Colts than I am my series 70 is great with my hand loads have a series 80 Gold Cup but it's only oiled and admired same for my Gold Cup National Match that's blued probably should shoot em but haven't yet.The Springfields are nice having shot a TRP that a friend has but I'm old school when I decided on a 1911 it had to be a Colt.Im sure you'll be happy with either a series 70 or 80 :twocents:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I hadn't heard about Colt dropping the XSE series; that's a shame, since those are some of their best models (i.e. competitive with other "modern" 1911s). Colt is now pressuring distributors and dealers to buy into their "stocking dealer" scheme, which is going to lead to a lot of people telling Colt to go pound sand, thereby reducing availability (the exact opposite of what they inteded to do).

We've currently got a few Colt 1911s in stock (Combat Elite, Defender, stainless Commander), but I don't know yet what we're going to do as far as the stocking dealer thing. My personal opinion is that there's plenty of Kimbers, Springfields, SIGs and Smiths to fill the shelf space.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    IIRC Colt makes a GC Nat'l Match on 70 series internals now. I'm pretty sure its in their catalog but not sure they're actually making them right now. Checked and Bud's has them for $1171 (cash discount) free shipping. Its model # O5870A1 (oh fifty eight seventy A one, fonts not making it clear)

tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Just take your time you will know when you find it but don't settle for something that's not what you want

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Some of the guns I've seen come from Colt lately are not very good. I have actually seen some new Rock Islands that are better built than some Colts.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Some of the guns I've seen come from Colt lately are not very good. I have actually seen some new Rock Islands that are better built than some Colts.

Yup.
    Had an XSE that was pure crap. Took some money and hours to make it right before it found a new home.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I bought a 1991 1911 about a yr ago and can say this firearm is an awesome shooter. Now mind you, I don't go over them with a magnifying glass and a dental pick. Its a really good shooter, has a good trigger, fit and finish is 2nd to none.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I bought a 1991 1911 about a yr ago and can say this firearm is an awesome shooter. Now mind you, I don't go over them with a magnifying glass and a dental pick. Its a really good shooter, has a good trigger, fit and finish is 2nd to none.

Is it a series 80??

My mid 90's Colts were good pieces.

If I ask.....what is your budget for this. Just curious as there may be other options depending.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I've seen some great Colt's over the last couple of years and they are finally building them with the options shooters wanted. Definitely shop around though once you decide on what variation you want. There are definitely some fit better than others and I routinely see nice ones with very good slide/frame and barrel fit. I'm not a big fan of their beavertail but they still have a better radius/tang fit than Springfield. The thumb safety's are one area where I have seen some not so great fitting. Springfields still beat Colt though when it comes to a good beveled mag well, Colt just does it in a half hearted way. If you like the classic Colt look the Series 70 repro's are nice and usually will have a better fit all around versus an original.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I picked up this one just a few months ago. Wiley Clapp Colt Commander is a Series 70 model.

COO4840WC.jpg

Top Bottom