• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Unless you are a very, no, make that an extremely patient person. I have never considered myself patient, that is not one of my strong suits, but that's another story.

I ordered two Wilson Combats on June 29, 2012. One of them is a blue (Armor-Tuff finish) Supergrade Professional. I actually have received that one as of last October after a mere 27 month wait. It really is an awesome piece and I am very happy with it. What's not to like??? Shoots like a champ, have never yet had a misfeed, jam, etc.. Story on that piece and a few pics here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/361153-happy-day-woo-hooo-3.html

I am STILL waiting on the second piece, a full size stainless Tactical Supergrade. Yep, would love to post some pics but after 35 months, still waiting. I called them to check on the status, and they expect to START building it in around 6 to 8 more months. So hopefully, I will have it sometime this coming winter or spring. In the mean time, I have another Wilson to enjoy which helps me be a little more patient.

If I knew I was going to need this much patience I would have been a doctor. They have lots of patients. :joke:

In the mean time, guess I'll just sit here and watch some grass grow. :)

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Do you pay for it at the time of ordering or when they ship it?

I have a 10% down payment on it with the distributor who will receive it from Wilson (Blythe's in Griffith, IN). I will pay off the balance upon receipt. Had the same arrangement with the first piece. Was never an issue, not really concerned about that part. Don't think Wilson is going under any time soon!

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Wouldnt it have been easier to buy an "in stock" gun from a distributor?

Yes, I could have bought one off the shelf. But then you get what you get, and probably not exactly the features you would have specified if placing your own custom order. There are so many different options on these pistols that you can easily build something that is very unique. If I am going to spend this much for a pistol, it's going to be exactly to my liking, even if that means waiting a while for it.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm not that patient. I think if I wanted something custom I would 1) Buy an off the shelf 1911 like a Springer TRP or any other "High end production" 1911 I Personally would start with a Dan Wesson. 2) Contact Churchmouse, NHT3, AllanM or any of the local INGO 1911 gurus and let them have at it. 3) use the money and time I saved on ammo and practice.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I know Wilson turns out a nice product but, I personally, would not wait that long. There are plenty of guys out there that can build a 1911 every bit as nice, accurate and reliable as a Wilson, in a much shorter time frame.
    Darryl Stonebraker of Darryl's Custom Firearms comes to mind.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I'm not that patient. I think if I wanted something custom I would 1) Buy an off the shelf 1911 like a Springer TRP or any other "High end production" 1911 I Personally would start with a Dan Wesson. 2) Contact Churchmouse, NHT3, AllanM or any of the local INGO 1911 gurus and let them have at it. 3) use the money and time I saved on ammo and practice.

:+1: Can't disagree. AllanM has dolled up two of my Kimbers with amazing results. But I've always wanted a Wilson ordered to my own personal tastes. A 2 or 3 year wait compared to how long I've waited up to this point is comparatively short.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    There was a time where the wait for a Shiloh sharps was 5 years

Randall knives is still 4-5 years, and a lot of custom makers are 2+ years or they don't take orders.

Yes, you are a very patient man, but I suppose it could always be worse

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

And your gun would run just as well as the wilson.
    The wilson is a work of art but art does not ring steel on its own merits.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don't blame you at all. If I was going to spend that kind of money on a new pistol I would order it the way I wanted it as well. I wouldn't have an issue on the wait either. It will get there when it is ready. It isn't like you are hiding behind the door with a rock to protect yourself in the mean time.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Meh, did not check inventory at 1911Heaven but there are gobs of Wilsons in stock at Complete Firearms and tweaking to suit by swapping small parts is no big deal.

Nothing wrong with ordering and waiting, but it is something you do because you enjoy the process. I'm not a delayed gratification person so if I wanted (could rationalize) a new Wilson I would be shooting it before this time next week.

Oh, the other thing a person might do is contact one of the big buyers with standing orders & maybe get something that they have coming swapped on specs to what you want.

Top Bottom