• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • escooper1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 29, 2015
    Crown Point
    Alright I'm 6'8 320lbs, I like guns with some power. But having said that I have also wanted an FNH 5.7 for a while.I have a Glock 21sf .45 but the recoil makes it hard to keep shots accurate so I don't knowwhat a good caliber is for me. I would like a revolver like the Judge or something similar that can shoot.45's or 4/10's as a back up but something that will hold some rounds and still have stopping power with all that recoil. .45'sAre all I've ever shot so I don't know capacities and recoils on 9mm's, .40 or other popular calibers. What are the best self defense calibers. Also Glocks don't have a safety, I would prefer something with one. ANd what are the difference between the handguns with a hammer and one without, sorry I forgot the term for that, which is more commonly recommended. And one last thing what are say the top five make and models i the handguns suggested. Lots of questions i know but like i said i am new at this, sorry.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    :popcorn: I am in to see what all comes into this tread...

But if I were you I would try to find a way to get my hands on some guns to shoot. Find a friend or rent some! You need to just get out and shoot some since you haven't... Then you will know the gun for you!

Jagunn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 24, 2014
    Brownsburg
    Depends and what you are wanting to use the gun for. Are you going to CC or OC? 9mm has plenty of stopping power, especially if you're not a fan of the 45 recoil you are definitely not going to like a 40 recoil. Are you using this gun for target are personal protection? I am personally an m&p fan, easy to work with plus plenty of options for aftermarket accessories. You just need to shoot a few and see what fits best.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    My advice would be to find a local range that rents a large variety of handguns and try out whatever interests you. Also, you might find an INGO member or two that would be willing to meet you to let you try out some of their guns. I'm pretty new to guns as well and have had a few different members let me try some of their weapons and have let a few try mine as well.

Also, if you're new, taking a class might be a good idea. An NRA basic pistol class would give you some good information. I don't have a top 5 of pistols I'd recommend, but I would recommend trying:

S&W M&P 9 or M&P 45
    CZ 75 or P-07/09
    Sig Sauer P226 (or P227, P229)
    Springfield Armory Range Officer or Loaded 1911's

If you like shooting a powerful round like a .45, 1911's are nice because the all steel frame helps absorb the recoil, making them very pleasant to shoot and very controllable. Otherwise, another powerful gun would be the Glock 22. It's a .40, but it's full size and the recoil is much better than in a smaller gun. Otherwise, nothing wrong with 9mm. The recoil is much better and the gun is easier to control. There are some great defense rounds that make it perfectly acceptable.

EDIT: removed the handguns without safeties...

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think you need to spend some time thinking about what you are looking for. You seem to say that a .45 has too much recoil for you. You also say you want lots of power. You mention wanting something like the Judge that shoots .45/410 but with higher capacity. So you seem to be all over the place. If .45 does recoil too much for you, then you need to look at a 9mm. If you want an external safety then Glocks are out. Do you you want a full size or compact? Just a home/range gun or going to carry? Price range? How do you feel about carrying with it cocked?

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    One way to help negate recoil is a larger firearm. For example a .44 with a 6 inch barrel will be more manageable than a .44 in snubnose. IF your set on a caliber, that might help ya.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Beretta 92 and 96 series are lower recoil and high capacity guns that are friendly to those with bigger hands. If ya lived closer I'd be happy to let ya shoot mine. The pistols mentioned above are fine choices as well. Good luck with your search, this process can be alot of fun if you're patient. You'll get to visit several LGS and handle lots of hardware and don't be afraid to ask questions, we're gun owners, we love to talk guns and we all know everything, lol.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    OP - Well, you might make a good linebacker for the NFL, but that's irrelevant to what gun you carry, or should carry.

Personal physical size has little to do with shooting, beyond being strong enough to load, make ready, and fire the firearm. Forget Schwarzenegger carrying a Desert Eagle .50AE in "Eraser", that's Hollywood movie fluff. While your hand may be physically large enough to grip it well, doesn't mean you'll shoot it well.

What you need, and want, is a firearm to carry that allows you to put rounds on target with 100% accuracy, 100% of the time. Or, as close to that as possible, for you. You need, and want, a handgun that enables you to protect yourself and those in your purview, not to 'look cool'.

if you're currently struggling with recoil management on your Glock .45, then a better choice might be the 9mm, or even .380. Again, the objective is to choose something that gives you the ability to put shots on the intended target accurately, consistently, and reliably. ALL else is irrelevant. Not my opinion, not any other opinion, not what 'we' think is 'cool'.

As for a specific gun for you, probably the best bet is to rent some, if that's possible for you, and try 'em out. At the least, head to the local gun shop (LGS) and pick up a bunch. Presuming you have larger hands, some will be ruled out (probably all sub-compacts and at least most compacts) simply because they're too small to fit comfortably for your hands and fingers. You don't want to 'struggle' having to hold it, or get your finger in the trigger guard. That, god forbid, could be a 'fatal flaw', so avoid it like the plague.

As you 'manhandle' a variety of handguns, revolvers and semi-autos, you'll discover some appear to be a 'natural' fit for you. My personal suggestion for students is to pick up a gun and safely aim it at some small point, some distance away (maybe a spot along the ceiling, etc. where you're not sweeping the muzzle past other folks in the store).

When you pick up the gun and aim it at a distant point, does it just seem to 'naturally' fall right onto that aim point? Do the sights seem to just 'fall' right where you're aiming? If so, that's probably a good choice, regardless of the particular caliber. May find several that are a good fit. Good! Choices are good!

Glocks DO have a safety, but it doesn't work the same as other designs. So, by your own preference, we'll discount Glock and all other similar systems, so no striker-fired pistols. Not an issue, because that still leaves a vast array of handguns from which to choose.

From there, perhaps something in 9mm in the 1911-type Single Action (SA) design, or in the other direction, a Double Action (DA) Double Action for the first shot, then single action for subsequent shots (DA/SA) or Double Action Only (DAO) design. There's the Colt 1911 and it's gazillion+one clones, and on the other side, the Beretta, CZ, FNH, HK, Sig Sauer, and that entire array which is just as vast.

Concealment is essentially a non-issue, so just between the 1911 types and the Sig Sauer types, there's a huge variety from which to choose. For the SA/DA-DAO designs alone, there's a mind-numbing array. Guns like the Beretta 92 and clones (like Taurus) come to mind, as well as the HK P30, the FNH FNX-9, the Sig P229, and countless others.

For the Beretta / Sig, etc. handguns, magazine capacity tends to be in the 10 - 15 round range.

Try out / pick up as many as you can, and take your time doing it. Through this process of elimination you'll find at least a couple that 'fit' well in your hand and just seem to 'naturally' fall right on target, sights resting right where ya want 'em 'automatically'.

Then train and practice. Then train some more. Then practice some more. Uh, that's train and practice BOTH physically and (more importantly) mentally. Prepare, prepare, prepare. Did I mention prepare?

Then 'pray to god' that day never arrives. Good luck on your quest, let us know your final choice, 'cause that's the fun stuff!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    As others have mentioned above, the best thing to do is to try out as many guns as you can while you decide. Asking others what you should by is like asking them who you should marry. Everyone is different and what's perfect for one will be miserable for another. If you already have a G21sf, but don't like the recoil, I'd try a couple of 9mms out. Bear in mind though, a 9mm shooting target ammo feels a lot different than one does when shooting +P SD ammo. A 9mm with +P is very similar in feel to a .40, but you tend to gain a couple of rounds.

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    I'll never have a defensive handgun with an external safety. If I did, it would still have a large number of bullets for its caliber, be made of polymer and be no less than 9mm

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Have you gotten any training?

Recoil doesn't make a gun inaccurate. It will slow down follow-up shots, but not actual accuracy. Poor grip and flinch result in poor accuracy. At your size a Glock 21 should fit your hand pretty well. Get some training before you start platform hopping.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Find one that fits yoru hand WELL, and you shoot VERY well. This should become your carry gun. I switched when I got my 1911, it is just too accurate in my hand.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Alright I'm 6'8 320lbs, I like guns with some power. But having said that I have also wanted an FNH 5.7 for a while.I have a Glock 21sf .45 but the recoil makes it hard to keep shots accurate so I don't knowwhat a good caliber is for me. I would like a revolver like the Judge or something similar that can shoot.45's or 4/10's as a back up but something that will hold some rounds and still have stopping power with all that recoil. .45'sAre all I've ever shot so I don't know capacities and recoils on 9mm's, .40 or other popular calibers. What are the best self defense calibers. Also Glocks don't have a safety, I would prefer something with one. ANd what are the difference between the handguns with a hammer and one without, sorry I forgot the term for that, which is more commonly recommended. And one last thing what are say the top five make and models i the handguns suggested. Lots of questions i know but like i said i am new at this, sorry.

Like others mention already recoil has nothing to do with accuracy so I recommend to take some training to work on the many aspects of shooting a handgun, powerful handgun and light recoil doesn't go in the same sentence so you have to decide what is important to you but then again like others mention 9mm is plenty effective. 99% of the top instructors in the country carry 9mm handguns that alone should tell you the story because at the end of the day rounds on target is what matters period.

TubThumper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 2, 2015
    Westfield
    Like others mention already recoil has nothing to do with accuracy so I recommend to take some training to work on the many aspects of shooting a handgun, powerful handgun and light recoil doesn't go in the same sentence so you have to decide what is important to you but then again like others mention 9mm is plenty effective. 99% of the top instructors in the country carry 9mm handguns that alone should tell you the story because at the end of the day rounds on target is what matters period.

Lot of sage advice right here. The only way you're going to reduce recoil in regards to accuracy is lengthen the barrel, add more mass to the gun, reduce the caliber and/or improve your technique. Some combination of those will ultimately get you where you want to be.

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    You mentioned the FNH 5.7 in your original post. Have you considered the FNS-9 or FNX-9? Great firearms and they fit your considerations. The FN 5.7, while it has a cool factor to it, the ammo is harder to find and around twice the price as compared to 9mm. Spend the difference on more 9mm ammo for more range time and a professional training class. Check out the Tactics & Training forum here on INGO. A good trainer can make all the difference.

Top Bottom