• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    We occasionally see posts where somebody took possession of a gun that belonged to their dad or grandpa, but how about a grandmother! I recently visited one of my cousins and he traded me my grandmother's revolver for a Nazi dagger that I had bought from his dad years ago. I will most likely get the dagger back eventually, so the relative value end of the transaction isn't a big deal to me.

The revolver is a Smith & Wesson Model 1, 3rd type, made approximately 1870. It fires .22 short, and as you can see is very small! You have to remove the cylinder to load it. My cousin says he has shot it, but it was originally designed for black powder so I won't be trying it out with modern cartridges. It is nickel plated and has beautiful rosewood grips.

I have no doubt that my grandmother actually carried this pistol, it fits exactly what I remember of her. She was known to be quite handy with a shotgun too. It is the only gun I have that belonged to an ancestor, so I am pretty tickled to get it.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    You're lucky to have such a nice family heirloom, especially one in such great shape. To top it off, it's a Smith & Wesson!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Most old guns always have a story that they can't tell, you're lucky to have one that can.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Good for you!
    That's... precious. As in grandmothers are and their memories are too.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The revolver is a Smith & Wesson Model 1, 3rd type, made approximately 1870. It fires .22 short, and as you can see is very small! You have to remove the cylinder to load it. My cousin says he has shot it, but it was originally designed for black powder so I won't be trying it out with modern cartridges. It is nickel plated and has beautiful rosewood grips.

The research I have done indicates it is safe to shoot guns designed for black powder .22's with modern CB or BB caps. These are rimfire rounds which are very low pressure and produce velocities of about 500 fps in handguns. Most use a .22 short case, but CCI produces one in a longer case; it is designed to avoid fouling and lead buildup in a .22 long rifle chamber and would not fit your revolver. Just be sure your CB cap is a short case and you should be fine.

Here is a link to some information http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2011/10/17/smith-wesson-model-no-1-third-issue/

I think it is really cool that you eject the empties by sliding the cylinder over the rod under the barrel.

Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    ​Rob, get yourself a copy of the July issue of "Guns" magazine. It has an excellent article concerning the Model 1.
    Thanks for the heads up!

Your on your way .Can't STOP with ONE.
    Very nice collection, and looking at them I have to admit you may be right about not being able to stop!

The research I have done indicates it is safe to shoot guns designed for black powder .22's with modern CB or BB caps. These are rimfire rounds which are very low pressure and produce velocities of about 500 fps in handguns. Most use a .22 short case, but CCI produces one in a longer case; it is designed to avoid fouling and lead buildup in a .22 long rifle chamber and would not fit your revolver. Just be sure your CB cap is a short case and you should be fine.

Here is a link to some information http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2011/10/17/smith-wesson-model-no-1-third-issue/

I think it is really cool that you eject the empties by sliding the cylinder over the rod under the barrel.

Thank you for all of the info! I also think the ejector is really neat and hopefully I will get to try it out.

Last edited:

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    It's nice to know that older S&W guns are priced at a point that they are available to starting collectors . Many start out with lower condition fire arms and trade off and work up to like new firearms . With the older S&W guns CONDITION is the big word.

Top Bottom