• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sprmario123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    Muncie
    So I'm from NJ originally so I am very wary about gun laws. It is my understanding that in Indiana I can have a handgun in my car if I am on my way to a gun range and it is unloaded and locked in the trunk of my car.

I do not have a concealed carry permit.

What is the deal with loaded magazines in a separate locked container? I feel like I aliens a good bit of range time loading and would like to do it before I am in the clock.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    IC 35-47-2-1 Carrying a Handgun Without A License or By a Person Convicted of Domestic Battery; Exceptions
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun. (b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if: (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is: (A) unloaded; (B) not readily accessible; and (C) secured in a case; (4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is: (A) unloaded; (B) not readily accessible; and (C) secured in a case;

No mention of a requirement for unloaded magazines just an unloaded handgun.

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.
    Where do you go to the range at? Have you applied to get your indiana ltch? If I was going to be somewhere for 2 years I would go ahead and do so, just to avoid problems like the question you stated. I don't think most leo's will hassle you, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Not to mention it's fairly quick to get one now days, mine took 9 days to be approved.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Is the license to carry the same as a concealed carry permit?

On the back of the Indiana "License To Carry Handgun" (LTCH) it states the following,

"You are hereby licensed by the Indiana State Police to carry on your person or in a vehicle, any lawfully possessed handgun."

No mention of concealment, therefore open carry is legal.
    You can duct tape it to your forehead if that's what trips your trigger.

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.
    After spending 2 years here hopefully you'll decide you like it enough to stay, can never have too many armed citizens in our state. And I couldn't imagine living in a place like nj. But thats just me.

sprmario123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    Muncie
    After spending 2 years here hopefully you'll decide you like it enough to stay, can never have too many armed citizens in our state. And I couldn't imagine living in a place like nj. But thats just me.
    Apart from the gun stuff its a pretty good place to be. I got a lot of family there and the job market for my field isnt that great here. Oregon may be an option though

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Indiana doesn't mandate how you have to carry. You can carry open or concealed as long as you have an LTCH.

But remember, you are much more likely to get flack from 2A supporting gun owners about open carry than from the public at large... Just a heads up!

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Re the NJ and CA bashing (also applies to Chicago) - if it's that bad, why do the jobs pay so much better in those places, and why are people willing to pay 3-5 times the price for a house? And pay higher taxes on top of that? They're all just morons, I guess.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Re the NJ and CA bashing (also applies to Chicago) - if it's that bad, why do the jobs pay so much better in those places, and why are people willing to pay 3-5 times the price for a house? And pay higher taxes on top of that? They're all just morons, I guess.

Yes, they ARE morons.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Get your IN LTCH & carry whatever gun you want (even an SMG), any ammo you want in it (I recommend HP ammo) in any capacity magazine you want (you could carry a belt fed if you wanted!), in any manner you want (OC/CC), in just about any location you want! AND, it is valid in 31 states (as of today) & more as time goes on (hoping that ME & SC new laws will gain them as well).
    Welcome to the home of the free!

Top Bottom