Safariland J-C7 speedloader - anyone have one that can give me opinions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have long preferred the Comp-I Safariland speed loaders. On the plus side, you do not have to hold the cylinder to keep it from spinning to load. Conversely, you have to fully insert them and put some downward pressure on them to drop the cartridges. With smaller revolvers like J-frames with rubber grips, this can be difficult.

I do like how the Safariland holds the cartridges more firmly without the HKS rattle.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Back in the dark ages when I still had a Colt Python, I had similar Safariland speedloaders for it, and thought very highly of them. In all, Safariland made three basic types, one flush-backed which automatically released to free fall, those like the ones in your video with the knob which automatically released to free fall, but were easier to manipulate both when loading them up and when inserting them into the cylinder on account of a knob you can get a hold of (which are the type I used to carry), and also a competition model which spring-launched the cartridges into the chambers. These units were about twice the overall length loaded and struck me as superfluous and excessively bulky outside the realm of timed competition.

I would definitely recommend them over the HKS twist-the-knob type which are much slower and more difficult to use.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I've used the safariland speedloaders and they work pretty well.
    Much like the HKS they use gravity to seat the rounds in the cylinder.
    At the center of the speedloaders between the rounds there is a spring loaded trigger that releases the rounds when it hits the extractor of the gun.
    That said, I generally prefer the HKS

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Back in the dark ages when I still had a Colt Python, I had similar Safariland speedloaders for it, and thought very highly of them. In all, Safariland made three basic types, one flush-backed which automatically released to free fall(Comp I), those like the ones in your video with the knob which automatically released to free fall, but were easier to manipulate both when loading them up and when inserting them into the cylinder on account of a knob you can get a hold of (which are the type I used to carry)(Comp II), and also a competition model which spring-launched the cartridges into the chambers(Comp III). These units were about twice the overall length loaded and struck me as superfluous and excessively bulky outside the realm of timed competition.

Yep.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    You guys rock. Here I specifically was zeroing in on a Pro model J frame, in part because of full moon clips (which don't work with my ammo choice!), and was COMPLETELY unaware of this type of loader. I'd had nothing but the HKS models, which kinda worked, but I sure didn't like them.

May just have to pick up a couple or three...

Top Bottom