• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I've fallen in love with a Sig Nightmare. It's way to late to talk me out of this but I was wondering, those of you that also have them, what about parts interchangeability/upgrades? How much of a 1911 is this really? I did some google-fu but the results were less than conclusive - not all sources agreed. So Nightmare owners, what do you know about the upgrade potential of this sexy piece of equipment?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I know what you mean, I have a Sig TacOps and love it, but researching parts compatibility is a chore. I would imagine you'd have to use a Sig gunsmith to be sure of compatibility. That or call the shop you're getting parts from and see if they know.

That Nightmare is a sweet looking gun and very accurate. My buddy had one until last week and I shot it several times. It was really nice. The rounded grip is really comfortable, a lot more than I expected. The only thing I don't like about the Sig 1911's is the fact that they use the series 80 design. Otherwise, I think the Sig 1911's are very nice. Once you shoot one, you may not want to do any upgrades, other than having it loved on with some polishing and such. You can do that yourself, send it to Sig (spendy) or have one of the 1911 guru's from the site do it. That's what I'm thinking of doing with mine. The gun is fantastic, but I would like the trigger pull a little better. I think a little polishing might fix it right up. Good luck!

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    A stinger like this... :rockwoot:
    20150530_180714.jpg

I traded a Sig Nightmare 5" toward this gun and I really liked the Sig.
    The Sig has enough good features and quality, you really don't have to do anything to it.
    If you wanted the trigger improved, all you would have to do is polish the internals and have a 1911 guru love on the contact points with the proper tools.
    The only things I did to mine was take out the 80-series internals and put in an adapter which turned it into a 70-series.
    I also polished some of the internals. This helped smooth the trigger pull a little bit.
    The trigger pre-travel is adjustable internally so you would not have to buy a new trigger.

The only thing I didn't like about the Sig 1911 was that it would not fit in 99% of standard 1911 holsters.
    If you buy one and plan to carry it, make sure to buy a holster that's specifically made for a Sig 1911 or you have one made.
    This pretty much limits your holster material choices to Kydex.
    As long as you like Kydex holsters, a Sig 1911 will be right for you.
    I also didn't like the way the black finish was wearing off the left side of the slide where it slips back into the frame while firing.

My Nightmare was crazy accurate right out of the box.

Wait for a sale or buy one used. I paid $799 for my 5" Nightmare on a post-Black Friday sale last year.
    I ordered it from CDNN.
    Keep an eye on Search For Guns, Ammo, and Accessories for Sale Online - GunWatcher.com too

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I really, really want a stinger, but I also am kind of an evangelist for 38 super. But on the other hand it seems almost criminal to get my first real high end 1911 someday and have it not be 45, which is not what JMB intended.

I m not anti-sig but please know.....they are not really 1911's. They have a similar appearance/function but they are Sig's. Sig's are sig's. No issues with that but not a 1911 in my eyes for what ever that is worth.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I m not anti-sig but please know.....they are not really 1911's. They have a similar appearance/function but they are Sig's. Sig's are sig's. No issues with that but not a 1911 in my eyes for what ever that is worth.

I love my Sig compact. I had the short trigger put in by one of our favorite mods and that's all I've done to it other than cleaning and touching up some wear. They're bas tard 1911's step children but a heck of a good gun.
    Holsters aren't that bad actually. The Serpas still work on them and many leather holsters. I have a Hooch I wear and it works for the 1911s I bought it for and for the Sig as well.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    A stinger like this... :rockwoot:
    View attachment 39056

I traded a Sig Nightmare 5" toward this gun and I really liked the Sig.
    The Sig has enough good features and quality, you really don't have to do anything to it.
    If you wanted the trigger improved, all you would have to do is polish the internals and have a 1911 guru love on the contact points with the proper tools.
    The only things I did to mine was take out the 80-series internals and put in an adapter which turned it into a 70-series.
    I also polished some of the internals. This helped smooth the trigger pull a little bit.
    The trigger pre-travel is adjustable internally so you would not have to buy a new trigger.

The only thing I didn't like about the Sig 1911 was that it would not fit in 99% of standard 1911 holsters.
    If you buy one and plan to carry it, make sure to buy a holster that's specifically made for a Sig 1911 or you have one made.
    This pretty much limits your holster material choices to Kydex.
    As long as you like Kydex holsters, a Sig 1911 will be right for you.
    I also didn't like the way the black finish was wearing off the left side of the slide where it slips back into the frame while firing.

My Nightmare was crazy accurate right out of the box.

Wait for a sale or buy one used. I paid $799 for my 5" Nightmare on a post-Black Friday sale last year.
    I ordered it from CDNN.
    Keep an eye on Search For Guns, Ammo, and Accessories for Sale Online - GunWatcher.com too

Why yes, just like that. Thanking You! Excellent information! I wasn't aware that prices sometimes go that low, but I've already got money down on the gun. Could you give me more info on the conversion to 70 series or point me to a thread/video. That sounds interesting. Not a big kydex fan but I have a friend who makes custom leather holsters for a few of us as a hobby.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why yes, just like that. Thanking You! Excellent information! I wasn't aware that prices sometimes go that low, but I've already got money down on the gun. Could you give me more info on the conversion to 70 series or point me to a thread/video. That sounds interesting. Not a big kydex fan but I have a friend who makes custom leather holsters for a few of us as a hobby.

70 series conversions should be done by someone that knows there way around the insides of these guns. Not saying you could not do it just saying you are messing around in the fire control area and this has to be done properly.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Not a problem. Moving toward the expensive end of the 1911 gene pool in baby steps. Would really like to have a stinger in 38SA but also feel my first should be 45. Suppose I could get a Kimber in 38 super but Kimbers just don't move me. I find the 10mm Sig mentioned in another thread kind of interesting but don't know if I'd ever go there. Shot me some Colts (Nat'l Match and GC) and was unimpressed. Got some Tauri and had a Citadel. From where I'm at the cost turns up pretty rapidly.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    70 series conversions should be done by someone that knows there way around the insides of these guns. Not saying you could not do it just saying you are messing around in the fire control area and this has to be done properly.

Yeah. Was hoping for a video to help judge the level of complexity to decide whether to try it or have it done. Will not modify/have the gun modified until I've shot it for a while anyway

Top Bottom