Review: New Stippling Option in Central Indiana (GBuck)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Hello INGO!

It's been a while since I've been active here regularly, but I wanted to pop in and tell everyone about a new player in town in the stippling game.

You know him as INGOer GBuck. He's Greg Buckingham out of Franklin. He had just been dabbling with stippling until recently when he decided to ramp it up a bit and get his FFL to keep guns overnight for work. In the interest of full disclosure, I'll tell you that I met Greg through INGO several years ago and we've been friends since. He was even an employee of mine for a short while.

Greg contacted me several weeks ago and asked if I'd be interested in having my S&W M&P9 stippled. He offered me an attractive introductory price and I accepted.

My only basis for direct comparison is my old G19 that I had stippled by Cory Nash (phylodog) of Nash Gunwerx back in 2008. You can read about that one here--> https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n/7127-my-stippled-g19-nash-gunwerx-pics.html

Greg's stippling pattern is different than the "pushed in dots" on my G19. His technique produces a more "slashed" pattern that results in a texture that feels like some aftermarket grip tapes I've handled, but permanent.

2015-08-24%2011.53.48.jpg

The best part about working with Greg was that I could customize the job to my own specifications. After sending several picture examples back and forth and telling Greg what areas I wanted done (and what areas to avoid), we came up with a workable template.

I had a few things I specifically asked for. First was no stippling up the beaver tail. I found this area particularly rough on the hands due to how recoil comes back across the hand. On my G19 this would cause some nasty rash on the web of my hand after extended shooting sessions. My other request was for rounded edges. While looking for stippling examples I found that most had very squared off lines. I thought this made the stippled grip stand out and look obviously modified. I only wanted the parts that contacted my hands to be stippled, and the rest left stock.

2015-08-24%2011.55.01.jpg

2015-08-24%2011.53.58.jpg

2015-08-24%2011.54.10.jpg

2015-08-24%2011.54.50.jpg

Greg did a nice job bringing my requests into reality. I was pleased with his first attempt and didn't ask for any further work, even though he offered it.

Yesterday I had my first opportunity to hit the range. I was joined by lovemywoods and Roadie and we ran several different pistol drills, engaging both steel and paper targets. I also did some one- and two-handed barrier work.

2015-08-24%2012.12.23.jpg

2015-08-24%2012.13.20.jpg

Shooting impressions with the newly modified grip surface were very positive! The gun felt glued to my hand and I found I was making fewer minor grip adjustments during longer strings of fire. At no time did I incur any abrasions on my hand. This actually surprised me as any grip that is freshly done is pretty rough for the first several sessions.

I like where Greg put the top most border line. During one handed shooting I found my thumb resting nicely on the line, as if it were a small shelf. Same goes for the forward index point he incorporated in front of the take-down lever.

Since I had my G19 stippled in 2008 there have been MANY guys popping up offering stippling and grip modification services. This can make it tough to figure out who's putting out quality, well thought-out work, and who's putting out hacked junk. I can now say Greg is putting out some good work and wouldn't hesitate to recommend his services to my friends and INGOers. I don't have a price sheet in front of me, but I assume his pricing and central location will make him an easy choice for those looking for stippling in Central Indiana.

You can contact Greg here on INGO by PMing him directly to GBuck. Perhaps he can chime in here for other ways to get a hold of him too.

Thanks for reading :ingo:!

Last edited:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Thanks for the kind words esrice! You've always been toward the leading edge of trying new things and I knew you'd appreciate the stipple job.

I am still in the process of getting things set up so I'm in not ready to keep things over night or post a price sheet yet, but all of that will be coming very soon and I'll bump this at that time (and give my hunk of flesh to Fenway :ingo: )

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Looks pretty darn nice. Much better than the push/dot method.
    Almost looks like the gun was made that way... like the texture was part of the mold.
    Well done

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I'll post some in the future when I've got time to upload them to tinypic. I've got pics on Facebook but not everyone does that.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'll post some in the future when I've got time to upload them to tinypic. I've got pics on Facebook but not everyone does that.

Looking forward to it. I really want to find someone local who can do a comparable (= done right) bob tail Glock on the order of Cold Bore Customs as seen here:

Bobtail1.jpg

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Well, They use a polymer fill to accomplish this. It wouldn't be a problem at all to do, but I kind of question the benefit of it. Yes, you do gain a SLIGHT amount of concealability, but you loose the area to assist with stripping out mags should one become jammed in or when clearing a malfunction. This isn't to say I wouldn't gladly do it, and I'm sure for a fraction of the cost, I just really focus on function before getting into the form side of it.

I did find a couple pictures of my personal G17cf (chopped frame) that I had uploaded to tinypic. This has a chop, groove removal, and full stipple. It also has Zev internals and a fulcrum trigger with XS Big Dot sights and a Storm Lake match grade barrel. Once up and running I will be offering "EDC packages" that will include a lot of this stuff.

sxp0l0.jpg

jp8ltl.jpg

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Sounds good. Yep, on the bob tail its more about being able to blend the grip of the gun for concealed carry, similar to bob tails on 1911's.

If one were concerned about being able to strip the mag, possibly a magwell cut on each side to allow for gripping the mag. I will admit I am a bit squeamish about modifying the frame on a Glock since if it is done "wrong" it pretty much flushes the part considered the firearm, but your work as well as Phylodog's show what a good stippling job can be.

Its too bad all polymer guns don't have another part that is considered the firearm for regulatory purposes (such as some of the Sigs do, and I believe the Beretta Pico does as well). This would allow swapping frames out very easily and they would be much cheaper as well.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I can highly recommend any work by Greg. I bought the chopped G17cf in the pics. Only difference was I swapped out his Storm Lake barrel for my stock G17 to save a few bucks. Took it out shooting today up at Tims in Westfield. I brought along a few others for comparison to include a couple of Gen2 G17's and a Gen4 G19.
    The G17cf was great to shoot. The balance of the longer slide and the shorter grip felt very good. The weapon stuck to my hand like "velcro" just as Greg said it would. There was no movement in the hand and with the longer slide it seemed to be much easier to stay on target.
    The only negative were the Big Dot sights. With my aging eyes I really wanted to like them and thought they might be the answer to my problem eyes. Didn't work out that way. While they were fast to pick up, they didn't allow the accuracy I am used to with 3 dot or even standard Glock sights. They obscure to much of the target except at conversational distances. Don't want to start a discussion about it. They work for some but not for me.
    I again state that I highly recommend Greg for any work you need. He will proably be getting some more business from me when I can afford it.
    Greg- Good luck on the FFL.

Bob

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    All right, y'all, decided to go another route, but starting in January I will be teaming up with Atterbury Shooting Complex to offer Stippling and other mods for your firearms and accessories!

Top Bottom