Single Stack 9mm Option Finally Filled - Bersa BP9cc (full thoughts)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    **Disclosure: Lengthy post, explaining fully decision, initial thoughts, description and short range report (more to follow).

Okay, so my Glock 19 is my carry choice when I'm OWB carrying and no worries about it being seen are present. My pocket .380 is on me all the time and when dressed in suit or dress clothes for work it is my sole carry piece. The one thing I didn't have was the small slender single stack 9mm that could dissolve IWB in scenarios where I want to carry something more than a pocket .380 (which is as much as I can without it being visible at work).

So I began shooting many, many different options for the better part of a year and a half. Kahr CM9 and CW9, Taurus 709, Sig 938 and 290, Ruger LC9s and LC9 (WORST TRIGGER EVER!), Kel Tec PF9, S&W Shield, Walther CCP and held the PPS (not a fan of feel), Beretta Nano and the one I was waiting on all along Glock 43. (**Addition: I did hold the XDS, but for some reason outside the Mod2's recently available I've never cared for XDs at all)

Let me breakdown the ones that got serious consideration and I would and still do recommend if people ask me at the range/shop I work at part time:

Ruger LC9s - This thing's slender ergonomics are something I like but have realized there is no middle ground here, it's a love or hate design it seems for most folks. The sleek design does make shooting for a while get tiresome on the hand but this isn't a target pistol, it's a small workhorse and it does that very nicely. It's initial trigger pull is probably the shortest pickup and pull out of the entire group...but it's reset is longer than I'd like, for some the amazingly nice trigger will override the reset...but the deciding factors why I didn't go with it are: reset and I like just a little more meat in the grip of the gun to fill palm more.

S&W Shield - This is the one that won out for feel in my hand...grip fills it out by it's design and nearly feels like you're holding a full size (CCP has similar effect IMO). To me it has a solid, not amazing trigger and reset, making it a definite gun to consider in this group. Final factors that made me not pick was the only thing I LOVED about it was the feel of it in my hands...otherwise I was just a fan and not in love with it. Solid gun though as are any of these listed.

Glock 43 - The long awaited gun is the reason I took so long deciding but once we got it, I wasn't so thrilled to be completely honest. It is a Glock and for that reason alone I know it will be reliable, shoot anything and simple to operate. The trigger to me is where Glock failed us all, it isn't as nice as their other guns and makes my Glock 19 feel like a hair trigger (it is stock!) in comparison. It's reset is nice but again I sense perhaps a touch longer than Glock's normal (at least my feeling). Ending factors I didn't get the Glock: overall not what I expected from Glock, only 6+1, trigger not what I expected....still a solid gun no doubt....and someday I bet I own one, because I do like Glock!

Sig 938 (&290) - The 938 is a sick gun, and I mean that in a good way! Only reason I didn't get one was I wanted a Double Action...not a SAO. Pistol is just awesome though and if I wanted to go away from a poly frame or to SAO this gun would be mine faster than Hillary cleared her server! The 290 feels great...but the trigger is dang near Kel Tec long and hard...with a long reset as well. I shot it great just not a fan of the trigger myself, would recommend though to folks as it is a solid gun offered by Sig and some like longer trigger pulls.

Walther CCP - Loved the ergonomics even more than the shield...but I HATE the pyramid slide...trigger was solid but not great and the reset is dang near Kel Tec long as well! If you like Walther's you will love the gun and look over the reset.

Kahr CW9 & CM9 - The CM9 intrigues me and I believe someday I'll have one. As a true pocket 9mm I don't feel the thing can be beat. I've heard of a couple issues from folks but also a LOT of good. I shot both well and obvious liked the CW9 more for shootability but the CM9 can be carried in places no other 9mm I'd consider can. Trigger is that long but INCREDIBLY smooth Kahr trigger with a average reset (nothing great). Would recommend if someone must pocket carry and wants to stay in 9mm...this purchase was geared towards IWB though.

Taurus709/KTPF9/Nano - Just didn't make it for me...actually owned a PF9 once, shot everything I threw through but trigger is terrible, reset is terrible, ergos are nothing special....

20150909_161718.jpg
    ***BERSA BP9CC***

I obviously ended up picking this one hence the title of the thread. Now I am not saying this thing is perfect but for me personally it wove everything I liked most about all the others and made the most of them into one gun. With many questions and few thoughts/reviews online about it I figured I'd share here with all of you.

Highlights of it:

TRIGGER - The trigger is light, only gun that beats it would be the LC9s and not because I necessarily think it is a lighter pull the LC9s just has a shorter pull. The Bersa has some initial pick up before breaking very crisp and light. The reset however is awesome! Like non-existent awesome. Sig fans will tout it is no better but maybe equal to some of the short reset Sigs...and to each their own, I personally think it has them beat by a hair. For the light trigger and extremely short reset some people (idiots IMO) feel it isn't safe for EDC.....I'll just say I disagree. Another thing of note that I love about the pistol is the trigger itself is wider...one wouldn't think this would be a big deal but comfort of a wider trigger is awesome and you feel like trigger control and finger pad placement is much more consistent. Everything I've read states the pick up on the trigger smooths out after a touch of shooting and goes from a solid initial trigger to a GREAT one....we will see if I experience this as well.

SAFETIES - No external safeties really to speak of. It does however come with a key lock...mine will never be turned off so moot point to me personally.

GRIP - Yes, nearly all I would say reading this will be have room for their pinky on this gun! Which is awesome in such a small compact sized gun. Otherwise the grip may be a touch too smooth for some and if you like a rougher grip Hogue or Talons could be an addition for you....I may or may not gonna give it more of a break in to see.

SIGHTS - Here is the only real grip I have about it...the stock back sights are tiny two dot sights that are borderline ghost gray and non-existent. Those who black out their rear-sights will love them...those that love bright in the open rear sights will hate them. I plan on changing them out eventually...but I'll state at the moment after first shooting I see the benefit of the back sight dissolving, naturally encourages you to focus on front sight more. I actually foresee me liking the sight set up despite my initial thought of dang...there basically is no rear sights.

MAGS - You get two and they seem well made and load extremely easy...by their size and the pistol's size you'd most likely guess 7+1 but the things hold 8 (easy all the way through the last one) making it a 8+1 firearm. Extra mags are not cheap though, sold from anywhere from $40-55 a pop usually.

ACCURACY - I shot just at 15 feet the first time and was getting 2/3inch groupings...I hadn't shot in a while (shoot less now working at a range :): ) and I feel it was in part my fault it didn't do better. As I settled in my last 2 mags worth were all half dollar sized groupings....shot perhaps 6 mags worth myself (RSO friend there shot 2 as well).

RELIABILITY - Way too early to know for sure...but the thing ate all the miscellaneous junk I had laying around. Serious when I say it had probably 4 or 5 different hollow points in the bag, some target, all different weights and some of the brass was tarnishing with age...oh and some were old re-loads. Thing never missed a beat...that was out of the box with just the slide wiped down due to packing grease...no internal cleaning at all. I was pleased...will continue to shoot more and more over coming weeks to see more.

ONLY REAL NEGATIVE - If forced to say what I would change about it, it would be the mag disconnect safety. Some love this feature, I'm kinda undecided but if asked I'd probably say no over yes to it. **edit addition** The mag release is a touch difficult at first but once adjusted not a big deal at all...however I'd like just even another 1/16th of an inch protrusion of it.

Breakdown of specs:
    caliber: 9mm
    magazine capacity: eight rounds
    magazines included: two
    action: short DAO, striker fired
    barrel length: 3.3”
    overall length: 6.35”
    width: 0.94”
    weight (unloaded): 21.5 ounces
    sights: three dot
    line of sight: five inches
    MSRP: $429

Closing thoughts are this. Is this the perfect gun in the single stack small 9mm framed guns? Not for you possibly..was it for me, yes. It combined everything I looked for (nearly) into one gun, is there a few things I'd change about it? Possibly, but all in all this is more the single stack 9mm I was hoping Glock would make...and for that I knew I'd found the one for me. Good luck with your search, do yourself a favor and at minimum hold and dry fire (test/rent if at all possible) all the main ones I highlighted...I guarantee one of them will be your fancy!

Last edited:

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I thought about the Bersa single stack 9mm long and hard but when I got the opportunity to buy a Springfield Armory XDS9 4.0 and five magazines (two 7rd, two 8rd, and one 9rd) for $444 OTD brand spanking new from the LGS I could not pass it up.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I am surprised this gun doesn't get more pub. It seems like a nice piece and I have never heard anyone say anything bad about a Bersa. If I was looking for another carry gun I would give it a strong look. Thanks for the excellent review. :yesway:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    It costs too much. With a street price hovering around $375-$400 it is in the same realm as the Ruger LC9s and S&W Shield. You can't sell a Bersa for the same price as the top tier brands.

It is a great gun... at $300.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My first handgun was a Bersa UC Pro. I looked hard at the BPcc9 but opted for the double stack.

I did have some reliability issues with it and ultimately didn't trust it for carry. I was getting ready to send it back to Bersa when it was stolen.

I still think Bersa makes great guns that are very underrated. I'd like to get another one someday. Maybe it will be this one. I don't have a single stack 9mm yet, and I do love the trigger too.

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    It costs too much. With a street price hovering around $375-$400 it is in the same realm as the Ruger LC9s and S&W Shield. You can't sell a Bersa for the same price as the top tier brands.

Wasn't looking to sell, was looking to buy so the "sale value" did not and IMO shouldn't matter. If you buy a gun to sell or factor in "when you sell it" Why bother with purchasing.

Regardless of price point I went with what offered me the best gun for my preferences...if I hadn't liked it I had the LC9S planned....but wasn't to be.

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola

If the trigger is as good, reset better, ergonomically a hybrid between the two, some would argue better mags than atleast the cheap feeling LC9 ones why can't you sell it for the same price...if not more? Don't forget S&W and Ruger both have put out sub-top tier quality and other "lesser" companies have put out top-tier quality...

Now it may seem like I'm defending a piece of crap or getting defensive of my purchase but that isn't it at all. Far too often many people write off a firearm if it isn't "X" brand or "Y" brand...when in fact doing so eliminates a large amount of awesome firearms. Bersa isn't any other company...and they've been making firearms for a very long time and to be honest are making better firearms...or similar firearms quality wise as a lot of the US competitors and non-US competitors.

I have always said unless you are seriously on a limited budget, never let money control a defensive gun purchase....when someone comes into the range/shop I'm gonna put as money guns in the platform they're desiring in an effort to find what feels right to them, a lot can be determined before even firing...but add in firing the firearms and often times the gun picks you....then discuss price. If too much, save up for a time...if surprising low walk out smiling with a bunch of extra ammo or a nice holster.

God bless on this September 11th day...

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    My first handgun was a Bersa UC Pro. I looked hard at the BPcc9 but opted for the double stack.

I did have some reliability issues with it and ultimately didn't trust it for carry. I was getting ready to send it back to Bersa when it was stolen.

I still think Bersa makes great guns that are very underrated. I'd like to get another one someday. Maybe it will be this one. I don't have a single stack 9mm yet, and I do love the trigger too.

The UC's were great guns but some suffered from reliable feeding...I truly think it was a sign of Bersa trying to enter into a market outside their Thunder .380 and had growing pains. Time will tell if the BP9cc has any similar issues. I know of a couple guys that have bought a UC Bersa in 9mm and 45 and love it...both new though, maybe Bersa has refined it or maybe they're just lucky. I personally like my Glocks in full size double stacks.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    I really like mine for cc and my only neg is that it seems to choke on cheap practice ammo but does fine with anything else.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    When my wife decided she wanted a pistol, I took her to a couple of local shops so she could handle an assortment of pistols to see what she was comfortable with. Of course we got the "the .38s are over here" as soon as she told the guy behind the counter she was looking for a new carry gun. Of all the pistols she liked, this one was the most comfortable for her. She was liking a Kahr K40, but no .40 for her. It had been a while since she had been shooting and has developed nerve issues so no .40 recoil for her. We went to Bradis and she took to the Bersa immediately. She shoots it really well. Sight upgrade might be in the future. She is also looking for a "purse gun" so we might be back at the LGS soon.

when we bought her Bersa, the Glock single stacks were not even a rumor yet. its a solid pistol and serves her needs very well.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I miss my Bersa Thunder .380.
    It has not been in my possession since Mothers Day. I gave it to my mother when she said she'd been considering a firearm for home.

I'll replace it one of these days. Meanwhile, I still have my Bersa Thunder .32acp.
    I do really enjoy shooting those Bersa's.

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    I miss my Bersa Thunder .380.
    It has not been in my possession since Mothers Day. I gave it to my mother when she said she'd been considering a firearm for home.

I'll replace it one of these days. Meanwhile, I still have my Bersa Thunder .32acp.
    I do really enjoy shooting those Bersa's.

Not about the OP gun in topic but I concur to a point one the THunder .380s. poor mans ppk that swallows any target ammo...problem I've always had is with defense rounds it seems to get touchy. Awesome little gun though, and one of the affordable heavier (non-poly) .380s that women tend to enjoy shooting.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Not about the OP gun in topic but I concur to a point one the THunder .380s. poor mans ppk that swallows any target ammo...problem I've always had is with defense rounds it seems to get touchy. Awesome little gun though, and one of the affordable heavier (non-poly) .380s that women tend to enjoy shooting.

Bersa does make a great gun. I've owned a bunch of the .380 Thunders, a pair of the 9s (UC and HC) and a .45 and all ran well. I really wanted a .380 Thunder in stainless, but they don't make them so I bought a PPK to scratch that itch. The PPK took a lot of work before it would work as well as the Bersa's. It was one of the most unreliable guns I've encountered out of the box. Works well now, but it took a long time and a lot of work to get it to that point.

Another plus with Bersa is that one of their warranty shops moved from Colorado to Indiana a couple of years back.

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    Just an update: Over 200 rounds in and this thing has been flawless. Multiple shooters have been testing it out as well and LOVE the trigger on the thing. No one has shot the thing poorly and quite frankly everyone has been VERY accurate (that is more the shooter than the gun though).

Alien gear IWB holster ordered....buddy is now making OWB kydex holster so will put another 200 rounds through it once that is done and keep reporting back.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Just an update: Over 200 rounds in and this thing has been flawless. Multiple shooters have been testing it out as well and LOVE the trigger on the thing. No one has shot the thing poorly and quite frankly everyone has been VERY accurate (that is more the shooter than the gun though).

Alien gear IWB holster ordered....buddy is now making OWB kydex holster so will put another 200 rounds through it once that is done and keep reporting back.

I'm wondering if holsters for the new single stack Glocks might fit... the wife needs something that holds it high on her hip or possible a small of the back holster.

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    I'm wondering if holsters for the new single stack Glocks might fit... the wife needs something that holds it high on her hip or possible a small of the back holster.

I did not try G43's but the ones in stock for Shields were too big, and the Lc9's didn't quite fit it either.

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    Another 100, another flawless range report. Growing on me no doubt, best trigger/reset combo I have tried in any single stack 9mm. The LC9s has less pick up at the front end but that is the only one I can say has any thing over the Bersa.

Hal42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2011
    Howdy. I know it's been cold lately, but I was hoping you may have some more updates on how your BP9CC has been running. I have been looking to purchase my first handgun, and this one seems promising. A trip to the local shop seems in order to try out the trigger again. If they had a deal for a couple of free magazines like Springfield did at the end of the year would be excellent, especially at the brand new prices of around $350 I am seeing.

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    This thing has been turning heads among the staff at the range I work. One of our younger RSO's just shot it last night and cannot get over how the trigger is so light and their is zero wall prior to breaking. He said it best in that there is ZERO single stack small frame guns that have a better trigger.

I'd say this thing has about 800-1000 rounds through it and have only had one round not fire but that was the ammo as the second time through the mag it fired just fine.

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola

I've already responded to this but this is a thought I get from time to time when guys at the range try out my Bersa BP9CC...

...the sad fact is when a solid product is made or a better product is made you can charge what competitors are if not more. There is ZERO things about the LC9s that I like more than the Bersa outside maybe the ergo grip where your thumbs swoop up to set alongside the slide...otherwise, as good as the LC9s trigger is, it loses to the Bersa in both reset, wall and break. The Shield would be my choice if I needed something that filled my hand better, it does beat the Bersa in grip feel if you like a meatier piece, and it beats it in grip texture....but neither of which have an impact on functionality or reliability or shootability.

Top Bottom