• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I finally got to see one of the .410 revolvers used in a real shooting. The distance was close enough the plastic shot cup was in the victim's clothing and the pellet group was very tight. The shot was through regular denim jeans. Eyeballing, I'd say #4 bird shot, give or take. The wound was extremely shallow, to the point some shot fell out as the victim moved, and was not nearly deep enough to reach anything vital or major blood vessels. It was more damaging than the bruise from the .25 as it did break the skin, but mostly just a boo-boo. Had the incident been self defense, the reliance would have been entirely on a psychological stop, and frankly the pain level seemed pretty minimal, making me think it less likely that a psych stop would have occurred than a real bullet entering the same area.

I am not a fan of bird shot or of "shotgun" revolvers, and am doubly not a fan of them in combination.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I finally got to see one of the .410 revolvers used in a real shooting. The distance was close enough the plastic shot cup was in the victim's clothing and the pellet group was very tight. The shot was through regular denim jeans. Eyeballing, I'd say #4 bird shot, give or take. The wound was extremely shallow, to the point some shot fell out as the victim moved, and was not nearly deep enough to reach anything vital or major blood vessels. It was more damaging than the bruise from the .25 as it did break the skin, but mostly just a boo-boo. Had the incident been self defense, the reliance would have been entirely on a psychological stop, and frankly the pain level seemed pretty minimal, making me think it less likely that a psych stop would have occurred than a real bullet entering the same area.

I am not a fan of bird shot or of "shotgun" revolvers, and am doubly not a fan of them in combination.
    I always looked at them as head shots of less than one meter.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The wound was extremely shallow, to the point some shot fell out as the victim moved, and was not nearly deep enough to reach anything vital or major blood vessels. It was more damaging than the bruise from the .25 as it did break the skin, but mostly just a boo-boo.

In my teens, my brother and I were shooting BB guns at random things in the woods. Then, sorta towards each other. Then, sorta at each other's legs. Well, one thing led to another and my brother ended up with a BB lodged under the skin on his cheek from a shot about 20 ft. away.

Sounds like that wound was comparable.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I wonder if the buckshot or slug loads would fare much better, but at that point quit screwing around and just load it up with .45LC.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Or buy something a little more convenient chambered in .45LC...that's a big weapon to carry for a .45 pistol round.

Don't start getting all logical and sane now, this is INGO and we don't appreciate that sort of thing.

Look, if you want a Judge as a novelty for the fun of it, knock yourself out. If you think it's got some sort of advantage as a self-defense weapon over other guns........think again.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Haven't deigned to pick one up off the table myself, but with birdshot I understand once you get out to a couple meters or so, you get a doughnut pattern because the rifling gives it centrifugal force in the barrel, and you will absolutely NOT hit your point of aim.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Birdshot works great . . . on birds.

And squirrels.

And rabbits.

'Cause they're small.

People are big.

Use buckshot or slugs.
    While the Judge is 100% Marketing driven and 200% crap, you have inspired me.

Sell ammo called Peopleshot instead of Buckshot and you will sell a ton.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I swear... I thought the title of this thread said "boo hoo" and was looking forward to a crybaby rant by a judge.

I feel so let down right now.

Boo hoo.

Top Bottom