• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    This will serve as a reminder to me that when I do finally get a VP9, that I will just not take it out of the safe... :D

Better yet... I'll just keep buying various PPQ models instead.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    There are obviously several concerns.
    Wouldn't you try to discern why it failed right away out of the water instead of continuing to torture test it? Plenty of striker type guns fail with water in the striker channel.
    The wood crammed in between the slide and striker retainer obviously wasn't helping either.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I honestly hate these types of "tests". What exactly is fast pitching your pistol into a log going to tell you about real world reliability? Obviously if you try to break something you shouldn't be so surprised when it does.

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I've also noted, in my personal experience, the VP9 spring to be on the weaker side. While doing press checks I've found that I can leave it out of battery easily without pressing it home intentionally. Also, during competition, I've had malfunctions where the muzzle was slightly touched. The slide was pushed just out of battery and failed to fire. We're talking it came in contact with a 3" long 1x2 board.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Tons of butt hurt on M4Carbine about this video. I don't think it means the VP9 is junk or anything but it should raise all of our awareness to issues striker fired pistols have with water. From the looks of it the VP9 has slight issues with staying in battery with minor bumps. I only ran a couple mags through the VP9 I had when they came out and it was fine but I sold it due to my love of Glock. Lol

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Glock 19. Still the standard all other striker fired pistols try to live up to. Walter PPQ is very close if not actually a little better but the ergonomics didn't fit me right. High hopes for the Sig P320 but I think it's butt ugly. Hk VP series never got me to excited though.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Tons of butt hurt on M4Carbine about this video. I don't think it means the VP9 is junk or anything but it should raise all of our awareness to issues striker fired pistols have with water. From the looks of it the VP9 has slight issues with staying in battery with minor bumps. I only ran a couple mags through the VP9 I had when they came out and it was fine but I sold it due to my love of Glock. Lol

If you think there's lots of butthurt on M4carbine, post the vid on Hk forum and see what happens

ETA: Nevermind, it's already there. 14 pages deep

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I liked the comment Mrgunsngear left... "Certainly an entertaining video!" That summed it up pretty well I think!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    If you think there's lots of butthurt on M4carbine, post the vid on Hk forum and see what happens

ETA: Nevermind, it's already there. 14 pages deep

If that happens be sure and post a link for us to go check it out! That'll be a whole new level of butthurt and complaining for sure!

bigo334

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Greenfield
    I honestly hate these types of "tests". What exactly is fast pitching your pistol into a log going to tell you about real world reliability? Obviously if you try to break something you shouldn't be so surprised when it does.

The world is a crazy place. Lets say some lunatic it chasing you down in your car and forces you off the road at 35 mph, you hit a tree side ways but your still coherent enough to see the person coming at you, and they have a weapon. you draw your weapon do a adrenaline filled mag dump in there direction and only wing them, you go to do a mag change and there is no mag release. What do you do now.

Just saying, yeah it was a entertaining video but crazy stuff does happen

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm not trying to make excuses for HK but the kind of G forces put on that VP9 were insane. I would expect any gun hitting at the right angle to break something or get wood fragments jammed into crevices.

So what failed that could be fixed?
    Water in the striker channel will cause just about anything to hydro-lock & not fire. Glock has an underwater version, maybe HK needs the same. Maybe tipping the barrel up or down a few seconds lets enough drain out to function.

Sand in the action: the striker "visibly cocked" hole at the rear of the HK is unnecessary imo. Seal it! Same goes for the trigger hole in the frame. Maybe it needs a wiper.
    Wood jammed into the striker cover / slide: tighten up that tolerance. No need for such a large radius gap there.

My HK VP9 will continue life as my nightstand gun.
    My Walther PPQ will continue living in the safe because of it's weak 1st notch accessory rail.
    My Steyr M9-A1 will continue to be my primary CCW.
    My Glo... I have no Glock. They don't fit my hand.

Top Bottom