• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomray3of4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    United States
    Looking to purchase my EDC pistol. Was sold on the G26 but am now having second thoughts and leaning Shield. I have never shot either gun but like the look and single stack of the M&P. Also, about $100 cheaper. Any opinions to help me choose would be great.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Tough one. They both feel VERY different in the hand. After carrying my Shield, my G27 feels fat. However, my G27 shoots better and holds more ammo....tough choice.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I am NOT a hater, but I am a S&W FAN ..... Go Shield, and later if you want a M&P, it is a lot closer .....

Or if you go glock, then the same, all glocks, you will probably like .....

MC1983

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Go shoot both guns before you decide. Since it will be your EDC, get the gun you shoot better and is more comfortable for you. The Glock43 is the single stack 9mm, you might want to look into that as well.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    What MC said, and don't carry it till you have at least 200 rounds through it .....

100 FMJ, and 100 of whatever you are going to carry .....

JMHO ..... YMMV ..... I learned this, right here on INGO .....

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    2 different demons...double vs single stack...ability to have high capacity mags vs not...slimmer vs fatter...shoot em both and figure it out :)

Depends on what matters more to you.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You should be comparing the 43 and the shield. I sold my shield a while back and got a 43. Couldn't be happier.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    When compared side to side, I'd take a g26. g26 can accept 19/17/18 mags and work like a top. Can't really put anything other than shield mags in a shield. Also, more ammo capacity at the start. I bought a 26, thought I'd like it, and still carry my 19.

The part about firing 200 rounds is a moot point, if a gun works, it works. Fire a box of your carry ammo to see how it prints on target. Then you should be good to go. 200 rounds is an arbitrary number. Do people do this when they change out recoil springs as well? no.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Carry guns are a very personal choice. You must decide what works best for you. There are always tradeoffs between capacity and size, what points best for you, what carries best depending on how and where you intend to carry. I have carried j frames, 1911s, G19, G26, G43, MP9c, Shield, Kahr P40, XDsc, and XDS. For IWB concealed carry I always go back to my Shield.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have the G27 and Shield I know you asked about the G26 but the G27 is the same size just in 40 S&W. I also have a G43 single stack in 9mm. I carry the G27 most of the time it fits me better and I can run G23 mags in it for mor capacity and larger grip or I can drop back to the smaller mags. That makes the Glock more versatile than the Shield. I would go shoot both before you buy one the $100 difference is a mute point if you can't hit with the gun or just don't care for the one you pick. Look at the M&P compacts also they have the versatility of the glocks also I like my M&P Compact also the changable back straps make it easy to fit the gun to you quickly. Like many here are saying you are really comparing apples to oranges there are enough guys around here if you ask you can put them all in your hand and run some ammo through all that you are interested in.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    As has been mentioned, shoot as many guns as you can to find what is right for you. G26, G43, Shield, XDs and more. The big thing to me when I bought a CC gun was how concealable is was and how it carried IWB. As hard as I tried to like the G26, I just couldn't comfortably carry it in the waistband, while I have no problems carrying a single stack gun like the Shield. I've had the Shield for over a year now and I love it. Carries well, shoots well and has been very reliable. I recently got to shoot a G43 at the range and I'm really glad I didn't wait for the Glock single stack 9mm as I didn't like it nearly as much as I like my Shield. Everyone is different, so shoot as many guns as you can before you make your decision!

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Point Blank in Carmel has a G26, Shield, G43, and XDS all in the rental inventory. Stop by and shoot them all and then make a decision. You wouldn't buy a car without driving it first right?

wckd99GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2015
    Columbus
    I bought a Shield in 9 mm earlier this year. It was the first semi auto I had ever bought. I couldn't be happier with it. It shoots very well.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    OP where do you live? I ask because I keep a Shield and a Glock 26 in my range bag as loaner/demo guns. I have found these both to be very popular with people looking to buy their first defensive firearm. Both are big enough to handle and shoot easily. Either is a good choice.

The Shield carries easier because it is thinner. But the Glock gives you the option of using larger, double stack magazines.

I have found/give most people two general options. 1) buy two guns. One small single stack and the second being a full size gun. Examples of this combo would be a Shield & M&P or Glock 43 & Glock 19 or Glock 26 & Glock 17. You get the idea. OR. 2) buy a midsize, do all sort of gun that can take full size magazines used in conjunction with a grip extension/sleeve. Examples of this would be the M&Pc, Glock 26 or Glock 19.

Top Bottom