• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    So I've been looking at firearms for concealed carry purposes and I narrowed my search down to two firearms. The shield 9mm and the xds. I ended up deciding on the Shield to broaden my experience beyond Springfield. I've owned two different xd's in the past an I loved them, but I've read that both firearms are fairly similar in quality and the reviews seem to run down middle. I went ahead and put a deposit on the shield, but I kept researching when I read about the performance center shield. The biggest advantage the xds seemed to have were the sights. The performance center model comes with better sights, trigger, and ported barrel for around $100 more than the base shield. So this brings me to my question. Has anyone seen one for sale anywhere? I'm having a hard time finding one(including online)

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I haven't seen one of the performance center Shields. I do have a full size M&P CORE and it's a great gun. For me, my Shield is a deep concealment gun, so having things like ported barrels doesn't interest me. If I'm interested in modest levels of concealment, I carry a M&P compact, if I'm not concerned with concealment, I carry a full size M&P. Hope this helps.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I googled it, and they are available, only about $100.00 higher than a regular Shield..... Couldn't find any specific dealers.....

Just S&W dealers.....

Try Highsmith, in Greenfield, BGF, ITP, and Bradis ....

I know Bradis, carries S&W M&P Pro, and Core .....

poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    I googled it, and they are available, only about $100.00 higher than a regular Shield..... Couldn't find any specific dealers.....

Just S&W dealers.....

Try Highsmith, in Greenfield, BGF, ITP, and Bradis ....

I know Bradis, carries S&W M&P Pro, and Core .....

I was at BGF and Highsmith earlier this week and I was asking them both about the Shield and the xds. Neither salesman brought up the performance center model and I didn't see one in the case. I will have to make a trip out to Bradis tomorrow and see what they have for sure. I figured for $100 you can't beat the improvements. As for the ported barrel I'm pretty indifferent on it.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I'd get the standard version. The ported barrel and slide don't make sees on that handgun.

The only thing that makes sense on the performance center shield is the upgraded sights. But that's not worth $100 unless those happen to be the exact sights you want.

Personally, I'd get the standard version and upgrade the sights and trigger as I see fit.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I'm curious...hadn't even heard about a Performance Center Shield before this thread.

My EDC is a Shield and I was thinking about getting myself an xds for Christmas. I've made enough bad purchases to know better than to buy before shooting so I did a side by side comparison with mine and a rented xds. The Shield won out and IndyJohn got to safe a few $$$ till I find the M&P9c I'd like to purchase.

I've also carried an M&P Performance Center 1911 and can't say I have a preference for the ports. I've always been a little worried they may collect lint when carried IWB and would require more frequent cleaning.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    NO do not get the performance center gun, I got to handle one the other day and was not impressed at all, the trigger is not better IMHO and to me on a carry gun those sights just seem "busy". Get the Shield that comes stock with the new Crimson Trace green laser unit it is about the same price as the performance center and the Crimson Trace is an actual worthwhile addition to the gun I think.

Product: Smith & Wesson M&P®9 SHIELD? Crimson Trace® Green Laserguard®

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I was at BGF and Highsmith earlier this week and I was asking them both about the Shield and the xds. Neither salesman brought up the performance center model and I didn't see one in the case. I will have to make a trip out to Bradis tomorrow and see what they have for sure. I figured for $100 you can't beat the improvements. As for the ported barrel I'm pretty indifferent on it.

I am not doing anything tomorrow, hit me up, and we could meet .....

Hjarnett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Denver,in
    I had a hard time picking between a xds 45 and a shield 40 in the end I got the xds just because I could get a 45 then my wife was looking for a new handgun and I talked her into the shield I can say I love them both and as soon as they start making a shield In 45 I will be standing in line to get one

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I've never squeezed the trigger on a performance center Shield, but I can tell you that the stock Shield has a very good trigger. A Shield 9 is my most frequent carry pistol. I wouldn't spend $100 more for a ported barrel and fiber optic sights, both which I find unnecessary for a defensive carry pistol. I used to have a Shield 40, it bucked just a little more than the 9, but not enough to need porting. Fiber optic sights are ok, but I see them as more for target pistols, not carry weapons. Most defensive encounters are in lower light, so tritium night sights are much better than fiber optic sights on a carry weapon.

My choice of night sights is the Ameriglo i-Dot. Here is a pic of my Shield with i-Dot sights. For me, they are much easier to pick up quickly vs. 3 dot sights.

w7ha86.jpg

poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    I am not doing anything tomorrow, hit me up, and we could meet .....
    Sorry SSGSAD I tried to pm you, but I don't have a high enough post count yet. If you're still wanting to meet up out there. I plan getting there around 5. I'll have my 5 year old daughter with me so I will be pretty easy to spot I'm sure. My name is Andrew btw.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    fjhsh0.jpg

1zp17r7.jpg

my shield has been carried heavily for about 3 years or so 4k rounds or so

has trijicon sights and apex trigger. I don't like the ported stuff so my opinion

is 375.00 for gun and 200.00 in trigger and sights.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Sorry SSGSAD I tried to pm you, but I don't have a high enough post count yet. If you're still wanting to meet up out there. I plan getting there around 5. I'll have my 5 year old daughter with me so I will be pretty easy to spot I'm sure. My name is Andrew btw.

I didn't even pay attention to that ..... Missed this post ....

Maybe next time .....

poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    Sounds like a plan SSGSAD. I actually ran in to a former coworker there while browsing through some of Bradis's inventory. This was my first time to Bradis and I was really impressed. They didn't have a performance center shield in stock, but they let me check one out that a customer had ordered. I also thought it was pretty cool that one of the salesmen was wearing an ingo shirt. Sparky32 I'm going to try out the stock sights, but I may just end up taking your advice and going with the night sights.

poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    So I did end up going with the Performance Center. I don't know maybe it's my inner mall ninja, but so far I am happy with my purchase and I really like the trigger on it. I may get a laser guard on it or night sights. I just need to research more and weigh the pros and cons. I also plan on getting familiar with my firearm before I make any real changes to it. I did put Talon Grips on it and a different slide plate on it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom