• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    A friend and I went to Parabellum to test out some of my new guns.

range-day.jpg

From left to right a Walther PPQ M2, Glock 17 Gen 4, H&K VP9 LE, Ruger American Pistol and a Canik TP9SA. All are 9mm. The Glock 17 is far from stock and all the others are bone stock. I've had the Glock since the Gen 4 came out so I brought it as a baseline for the others. The TP9 is a sleeper as it's a lot better than what I expected for a sub $400 gun. I only had one problem with it and that was the last round in the first mag stove piped. A quick clear and a fresh mag and no problems the rest of the time. Fort Liberty in Avon has them in stock for $369. The Ruger shot a lot better than I expected after seeing all these bad reviews. Recoil was about the same as the rest and no knuckle bump or scrape like others have had. I put the smallest back strap on it. I did notice the Ruger was shooting slightly to the left. I'll go to the range later to verify how much then adjust the sights. The VP9 and PPQ are butter. Very easy to shoot and both feel great in the hand. I need to go again and shoot them some more to see if one is truly better than the other. Right now I would rate them the VP9 first then very closely the PPQ, (The VP9 has the edge because of the Tritium sights) Glock, Ruger and Canik. I don't see any problems with any of them and would EDC any of them as needed. I may pick up a P320 at the 1500 to add to the mix.
    These are my opinions and not based on anything other than comparison shooting and personal feel of the weapons.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    What's your opinion on the felt recoil / recoil impulse of the Canik vs. the G17? Or perhaps the Canik vs. an M&P - if you have enough trigger time behind one to compare.

Thanks!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks. I got it off Amazon. It's pretty stout and seems to protect everything well.
    Amazon.com : Case Club Waterproof 5 Pistol Case & Accessory Pocket with Silica Gel : Sports & Outdoors

Hey, I don't think you're using that case correctly. I don't see a single 1911 in there and you specifically said it was for handguns. How can you be using it correctly if there is not at least one example of THE handgun in there? Even the photo on Amazon shows a 1911 in there. :):

Seriously though, sounds like a great way to spend a Monday.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    What's your opinion on the felt recoil / recoil impulse of the Canik vs. the G17? Or perhaps the Canik vs. an M&P - if you have enough trigger time behind one to compare.

Thanks!
    The Canik was a sleeper. It has a nice reset and not too bad of a recoil. I've shot M&P's and I like the trigger on this one better. It is SA so initially there is a bit of take up. After the first shot it is right at the pre-break point and it's not a heavy pull. I didn't measure it but it is very crisp. It's an EDC for a friend of mine and he loves it. He's the one who convinced me to buy one. If you get a chance shoot one. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Hey, I don't think you're using that case correctly. I don't see a single 1911 in there and you specifically said it was for handguns. How can you be using it correctly if there is not at least one example of THE handgun in there? Even the photo on Amazon shows a 1911 in there. :):

Seriously though, sounds like a great way to spend a Monday.

My friend brought his Ruger 1911 and it was in the case for a little bit. :) Hopefully that counts.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The Canik was a sleeper. It has a nice reset and not too bad of a recoil. I've shot M&P's and I like the trigger on this one better. It is SA so initially there is a bit of take up. After the first shot it is right at the pre-break point and it's not a heavy pull. I didn't measure it but it is very crisp. It's an EDC for a friend of mine and he loves it. He's the one who convinced me to buy one. If you get a chance shoot one. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

In a former life, I owned two Walther P99 pistols...

I found the recoil impulse to be rather flippy owing to the "tall" slide profile as it sits in hand. Same with XD pistols for that matter. I was just wondering your impressions on if they were "flippy" due to them being P99 clones.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    In a former life, I owned two Walther P99 pistols...

I found the recoil impulse to be rather flippy owing to the "tall" slide profile as it sits in hand. Same with XD pistols for that matter. I was just wondering your impressions on if they were "flippy" due to them being P99 clones.

Not really that I noticed. Next time I go I'll look more closely at it. I was shooting 124 grain FMJ and that can make a difference.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Not really that I noticed. Next time I go I'll look more closely at it. I was shooting 124 grain FMJ and that can make a difference.

I'd like to get my mits on a P99 or clone again now that I definitely know and utilize a much better grip and stance. I just remember not being able to "do" double-taps with the 9mm version very easily - and not at all with the .40 S&W version.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Thanks. Hopefully at the 1500 I can pickup a Sig P320. It's not like I have a problem or anything. After all my wife should be going with me on Friday.

Very nice. Good luck getting one. I've shot one and think they're pretty nice guns, though I personally prefer CZ's and 1911's :)

Top Bottom