• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I handled one of these at the fun show last weekend, felt very nice! It was the model with the tapered barrel, in 38 special, and I can't get it out of my head now! ;) Who all owns one here? Surely they run great, Hickok45 had nothing but good words! And what is a fair price for one in good condition? The example at the fun show was tagged $500, that felt high to me but I am not sure. Thanks INGO! :ingo:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I handled one of these at the fun show last weekend, felt very nice! It was the model with the tapered barrel, in 38 special, and I can't get it out of my head now! ;) Who all owns one here? Surely they run great, Hickok45 had nothing but good words! And what is a fair price for one in good condition? The example at the fun show was tagged $500, that felt high to me but I am not sure. Thanks INGO! :ingo:

I've seen police trade-ins for $350 or so. I have a snubby and a 4", and I think I paid in the neighborhood of $450 for each, which seemed to be a good price for one in nice condition. Neither of mine came with original grips, so $500 with original grips seems reasoable.

smith10s_zps1xxkfhcz.jpg

Last edited:

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Bought a used M10 w/ tapered, 4in bbl in 1987. Was shipping out to the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy, had to provide my own Service Revolver.(My PD would issue a M66 357 mag after Graduation). Also a Border Patrol type holster, speedloaders/pouch, handcuffs/pouch, Duty Belt, baton ring, keepers. (found a rig used for 75$. Still have)

My M10 is a sweet shooter, works well, accurate, one of the best defender firearms I own.

In 1999, elected to get finish reblued, had a friend do the work, and installed an orange front sight insert, like my 357 had for years. Man, now at 65+, I appreciate the orange sight image. During some Gun shows, found a lot of slightly used Pachmayer grips, and originals for cheap prices. Now I install any number of different ones, whenever I choose. Holsters too.

Prices are all over for those guns. I have seen some on the Net go for $300, so look before you leap. If it has some wear, it's normal. They were made to be used.
    Good design, balance, history firearm. Like the 1911, never goes out of date. Get one.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The example at the fun show was tagged $500, that felt high to me but I am not sure. Thanks INGO! :ingo:

Seems a little high brother...I got one here in the shop for $299.99 with pinned barrel and tapered...My dad calls these "pencil barrel model 10's"...Massad Ayoob did an article one time that was "Gun improvements that really were not improvements" and one of them was when Smith dropped the pencil barrels and began only making heavy barrel model 10's...They were cheaper to make (less machining) in an HB and Massad said something like, "The old pencil barrels were better because you can slip one in an IWB holster and it felt no different than a 2 inch model.."

I tried it and it's true...A regular came by and looked at it the other day...He was looking for a snub nosed and I told him what Massad had said and he tried it and said it felt no different than a 2 inch barrel snub...Especially if you carry back on your hip...I think you would like one....

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Seems a little high brother...I got one here in the shop for $299.99 with pinned barrel and tapered...My dad calls these "pencil barrel model 10's"...Massad Ayoob did an article one time that was "Gun improvements that really were not improvements" and one of them was when Smith dropped the pencil barrels and began only making heavy barrel model 10's...They were cheaper to make (less machining) in an HB and Massad said something like, "The old pencil barrels were better because you can slip one in an IWB holster and it felt no different than a 2 inch model.."

I tried it and it's true...A regular came by and looked at it the other day...He was looking for a snub nosed and I told him what Massad had said and he tried it and said it felt no different than a 2 inch barrel snub...Especially if you carry back on your hip...I think you would like one....

Hmm excellent info thank you sir! I think I would like one as well. It's going to have to happen!! I like the tapered barrel for sure it just makes me smile. :)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I've got one. I think it was the first center-fire pistol I bought. It was a police trade-in, IIRC. It's a good shooter. It's been a number of years ago since I bought it and it was way less than $500. Everything seems to go up, if it's quality and well maintained.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    If only I knew then what I know now. I had one of the RHKP model 10's many years ago. It was one of the best shooters I ever had. Kept it for many years and let it go. Big mistake. I should have bought a fist full of them. At the time they were everywhere. Mine was refinished in a brushed nickel and had Houge rubber grips. Cost was $175 for the nickel and $150 for the factory blue. The blue ones were usually pretty rough looking.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Great gun, I prefer the tapered barrel as less weight is easier to handle. The prices seem to be going up on M10's as are all S&W wheel guns and will be a nice piece of history to pass along. I looked for a long time and found one that had not been a service revolver.
    Good luck, you will enjoy it.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana

Rick is probably be right on the price. The chances of finding an older Smith wheelgun in a LGS around here are slim to none. I did get my snubby at the pawn shop, and I think I paid $425. Nearly every other Smith wheelgun I've bought has been on GB or the S&W forum, and in that case, I have to figure shipping and transfer fees in the price.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Thanks for all the info and pictures!! It's going to be my next pickup for sure after I finish this ar lower. Looks and felt like a quality piece of hardware, I enjoy plinking with a 38 special and would like something besides my python to play with! I haven't been this excited about a chase for a good while, love it!

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I had two both from around 1950. Were a blast to shoot never felt any recoil, and were dead on at 25. Regrettably I traded or sold them and would like to find another someday.

clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    My daughter shoots a 4 inch pencil barrel 10-5. Deadly accurate. Excellent trigger in double or single action. Highly recommend. Got at the 1500 loophole show a year ago for $300.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    You should beat feet to Rick's store and grab that one for $299. I haven't seen a decent condition K-frame for that price for a while. Bud's still has some HB police trades but they are $319.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I like my old police trade-in model 64 even better than my model 10's. It's the cheapest Smith I've ever bought ($299) and the best shooter of all of them.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    You should beat feet to Rick's store and grab that one for $299. I haven't seen a decent condition K-frame for that price for a while. Bud's still has some HB police trades but they are $319.

I agree that I need to get down there! I'm crazy busy at work right meow though! :( Hopefully soon I can venture that way.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Talk about memories...My first duty weapon was a 4" bull barrel Model 10. My dad still had his 5" pencil barrel. When we switched to Model 65's we wanted to buy our Model 10's from the city at market value.

Cincinnati's mayor vetoed it. He said that if the city sold us our revolvers that we would peddle them to criminals (I'm dead serious).

They were all destroyed, about a thousand 2, 4, and 5 inch revolvers.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom