• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    The wife finally accompanied me to the 1500. I wanted her to get her hands on some semi-auto handguns to see what feels good. She is more a fan of revolvers so this was no easy task. She is coming around slowly to semis but she is pretty picky.

We went by several tables and picked up and handled several brands and sizes. She was not a big fan of Glocks, didn't care for the M&P at all, thought she might be convinced on the Xd, then she picked up a 1911. The search had just begun. She got that big smile on her face, looked at me with that look in her eyes and just said, ooh, I like this one. So then, we started the rounds again and started looking for different brands, sizes, colors, etc. of 1911's. We came across the Ultra Carry II. She loved the feel. She thought it was a bit heavy but much better than the full size options we had been looking at.

Now, we need to locate one that she can shoot.

Couple questions.

1. How are these as far as recoil is concerned? Compared to a G19 since she is familiar with shooting mine.

2. What would other similar size 9mm 1911 offerings be that are worth checking out in order to comparison check?

3. I know I have always seen online things like "kimber is unreliable" " 9mm isn't reliable in the 1911 platform" are there certain things to look out for when shopping for a 1911?

Before all the, stick with 45 for a 1911 stuff, I want to stay with 9mm so all our handguns are the same caliber.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I used to have a Kimber Ultra and it was a very good gun. You definitely feel the recoil a bit more that you do in either a commander or larger sized 1911, but I don't recall it being problematic. Have her take a look at an alloy framed CCO style 1911. It's only a half inch longer in length and the same size in height and width. The CCO has become my favorite carry platform.

If she really likes the smaller guns, but does not like the recoil that comes with big rounds in little guns, have her take a look at at Springfield EMP in 9mm. There are other 9mm small 1911s out there, but I'm not familiar with those and cannot help with that more. Another option might be a Sig 938. Those are very nice little 9mm format guns. They are available in a variety of finishes and aftermarket grips are readily available if she want to personalize it somewhat. I picked one up in November and love the thing.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Your wife has good tastes.

I've never shot a 9mm 1911 but I will say I like my S&W 1911's, my SA 1911, and my Kimber Crimson Carry 1911. The latter is finicky on steel case ammo though.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have a Springfield Armory Loaded in 9mm.
    It is my wife's most favorite gun to shoot. She can shoot the gun extremely accurate.

The recoil spring is also lighter so racking the slide will be easier for her as well.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    The Colt Defender comes in 9mm as well as .45 and I believe .40, and is basically the same size and weight as the Kimber Ultra Carry II. I have both the 9mm and the .45 acp models. The .45 is a bit snappy but very controllable. In 9mm it is very comfortable to shoot. I have not fired the 9mm much but so far it has performed well with 147 gr ammunition. Had a few FTE with the 155 gr WWB. The Sig 938 is a fine pistol but you will feel the recoil. Make sure to use the magazine with the pinky extension. It makes all the difference in the world. And It also prefers the heavier bullets.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    She tried out a few Sig P938s and wasn't much a fan. She is a lefty and the slide release gave her a bit of a problem. It was also a bit small.

I think what she really likes about the ultra carry II is it seems to be a good compromise in size and weight. Not a full size but should have considerably less recoil than the P938 or G43 size guns.

She just loves how revolvers feel in her hand. Semi-autos just aren't her thing so We are looking for the most comfortable options for her to try out before making any decisions.

InRon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    My wife loves her Ultra CDP II. Compact but with a large enough grip to be comfortable. Recoil is very manageable and she is very accurate with it. So far with around 1000 rounds through it we've had no FTF/FTEs with FMJ or JHP, factory new or remans. Have not tried steel case.

poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    One of my friends has an Ultra Carry II. I've shot it a few times and it's a really great gun. The two things that I will forewarn you about is the slide does tend to be prone to rust. He had a little bit of rust develop just a couple of months after owning it. After researching the issue online it seems to be a common issue. The second thing to keep on mind is do your homework. The prices vary wildly at some gun shops(and by wildly I mean by up to $400). That all being said I would buy one in a heartbeat if I found a good deal on one and I'd just keep a close eye on the surfaces and keep the gun well oiled.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    One of my friends has an Ultra Carry II. I've shot it a few times and it's a really great gun. The two things that I will forewarn you about is the slide does tend to be prone to rust. He had a little bit of rust develop just a couple of months after owning it. After researching the issue online it seems to be a common issue. The second thing to keep on mind is do your homework. The prices vary wildly at some gun shops(and by wildly I mean by up to $400). That all being said I would buy one in a heartbeat if I found a good deal on one and I'd just keep a close eye on the surfaces and keep the gun well oiled.

Yeah. There seem to be about 7000 variations of the ultra carry II. Ranging from $750-$1600. We are not in the market for one right now but want to locate one to shoot and start shopping for a deal when the time comes. As far as the rust is concerned, we will keep it clean and oiled.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Since she's comfortable with revolvers, familiar with shooting them and they fit her hands well, I'm curious about why you're pushing her towards semi-autos.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Couple reasons.
    1. The revolvers she likes and has shot are large and heavy. She is also not very accurate due to the long trigger if there is any speed involved. She also wants to get to the point of carrying one on her person. As said, the revolvers that she likes are not necessarily feasible for her to carry.

2. She has expressed interest in possibly shooting a steel match or uspsa match. The semi-auto fits the bill for that in our opinion a little better than the revolver, at least in the beginning.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I tried years ago to get my wife to adapt a pistol but she is just more comfortable with a revolver. She can shoot a pistol fine but she doesn't have the hand strength to rack the slide especially on the more compact versions. She is satisfied with her S&W Model 66. If she wants to carry she also has a 642 that she's pretty good with.

Top Bottom