• Which 9mm for EDC

• Total voters

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    Assuming you are looking for a relatively small 9mm EDC pistol and you have all of your other firearms needs met, which would you choose and why? I am listing these because these are the ones I am most interested in, but would like to read comments on other options as well.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Is this a 'Can only have 1?' survey...or will this be purchased an addition to what you already have?

I purchased my first Glock (23) on 9/11...and have never looked back! I've owned several of them over the past 15+ years and I prefer the grip angle and 'inter-changeability' that the Glock platform offers (ability to switch from .40 to 9mm, etc.) They're very accurate and functionally efficient! I grew up with revolvers and appreciate their simplicity!

My current EDC...a Glock 36 in .45 acp...will probably never change!

That being said, and if I had to choose a 9mm for EDC, lately, I've been very interested in the FNS 9mm platform. It feels very good in the hand and I'm just wanting the opportunity to shoot it to see if it handles as nicely as those who've given me positive feedback says it is! For the purpose of this survey, I voted FNS 9mm.

BTW...if it were to be a 'pocket' or 'summer' carry only...I would probably vote Glock 43...with my small hands, that's a nice fit too!

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    In addition to what you already have, such as another full size pistol. This would be for concealed carry/defensive purposes only and for carrying in non-fun-friendly environments.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    It depends. If you have a Glock 17 or a G19, I would get the Glock 26. You can use a full size magazine for the Glock 26. I love mine.

Between the Glock 43 and Shield, I lean towards the Glock 43. Simply because I am already familiar with Glock, and the G43 is a little smaller, and it's more of a gun to carry for deep concealment. But I have never shot the Shield either. Sooo....I would try and shoot both first.

The other gun, I know nothing about.

Bacon.....turkey bacon is better.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Amishman44, how does your 40 to 9mm conversion work as far as reliability? Do you use the conversion barrel only, or a regular 9mm barrel with swapped out internals?

Ham,

I really prefer the Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrels (excellent fit + very accurate)...probably more so than the Glock factory barrels...just remember to swap out the mags as well! I've never swapped the internals...just the barrel and the magazine! I've NEVER had a reliability failure/issue in doing it that way...in fact I prefer the Storm Lake barrel over the Glock factory for accuracy! Having a 1/2mm thicker barrel never hurt while carrying +P+ ammo either (my preferred choice in 9mm as I grew up on .357's and the 'regular' 9mm just feels 'soft' to me!)

Both my G-23 and my G-27 have 9mm conversion barrels...the wife and I went through a phase where we carried the same caliber and magazines (she carried my G-19 and I carried my G-23 with a 9mm conversion barrel) so that we were compatible when out-n-about! I can hit what I shoot at and with +P+ I'll get adequate penetration sufficient to stop a threat.

I've gotten past the 9mm vs .40 argument...and with center-mass hits the differences are nil...so why quarrel?

If you want some nice EDC 9mm ammo...you can't hardly beat Littlestone's Ammo: http://www.littlestonesrus.com/9mm-Luger-P-115-Grain-Sierra-JHP-Box-of-20_p_1174.html These match up with CorBon's 115 JHP standard ammo!

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    It depends. If you have a Glock 17 or a G19, I would get the Glock 26. You can use a full size magazine for the Glock 26. I love mine.

Between the Glock 43 and Shield, I lean towards the Glock 43. Simply because I am already familiar with Glock, and the G43 is a little smaller, and it's more of a gun to carry for deep concealment. But I have never shot the Shield either. Sooo....I would try and shoot both first.

I've shot the Shield...S&W did a nice job with it and I know a few individuals who own them and it's their EDC.

+1...2...and 3 on the Glock 26 if you already own a G-17 or G-19 as the interchangeability (using the larger mags in the smaller pistols) is a fantastic feature that Gaston Glock came up with and has stuck with all the way through their design and production process!

BACON...can't beat BACON!

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    I have a 19 Gen 4 currently. But, I almost never carry my 26 because I feel like, I might as well carry the 19. Zero difference in width, longer slide is not a problem. When I carry at 3 or 4 o'clock, I can conceal the grip.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    Amishman44, the 9mm conversion barrel, what I read is the barrel is offset slightly to the left to allow the straight 40 ejector to hit the 9mm case. Any concerns about that affecting hitting center target? Apparently not, but I don't understand how it would affect accuracy.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    I am somewhat looking for a 9mm I can carry in a pocket, which I cannot do with my 26. So with that said, the 26 hasn't been giving me any real carry advantages over my 19.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville

WTF?!!??

:runaway::runaway::bacondance:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    You've got a mix of guns in my opinion. Thin is in!

Compacts:
    Glock 26 vs FNS 9c -> compare those with the M&P 9c.

Single stack:
    Glock 43 vs M&P Shield -> there isn't a slim FN that I know about. There are plenty of other choices though.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Carry whichever one you shoot best. The worry about how you are going to carry it.

When I was picking out my new EDC, I shot Glock, M&P and XDm all back to back. I really wanted the M&P but I shot the XDm so much better. It pointed naturally for me and I was more accurate with it. So that is what I got.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Carry whichever one you shoot best. The worry about how you are going to carry it.

When I was picking out my new EDC, I shot Glock, M&P and XDm all back to back. I really wanted the M&P but I shot the XDm so much better. It pointed naturally for me and I was more accurate with it. So that is what I got.

This ^^^^^ carry what you shoot the BEST ..... If you are already familiar with Glock,

then go with it ..... If changing doesn't bother you then try, and buy, the S&W .....

I always say this ..... I am not a glock hater, they just don't fit my hand .....

I am on the other hand, a BIG, S&W fan .....

Top Bottom