• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Well, that's the general consensus. They suck when you buy a cheap one, require a lot of random work and maintenance when you get a nice one that you want to keep nice. That combined with 7+1 or 8+1 capacity, external and grip safeties, etc is all reasons why I've not really been drawn to them.

I know there are a lot of 1911 fanatics here and was hoping that perhaps someone could sell me on the idea of one.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I have one just because to a gun enthusiast it seemed like a "must have" in the collection. It sits in the safe and maybe sees a hundred rounds a year, if that. Plus I got a killer deal on a Kimber that I couldn't say no to.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The haters were quick to jump on this one. Why do you want one? Because they are the classic American military pistol that is just as good a choice for carry today as it was when designed over a hundred years ago. Shooting a 1911 is like shaking hands with Audie Murphy. The guns are well balanced and can have triggers that are almost as good as it gets. Even a stock, low budget gun has a great trigger when compared to most modern DA/SA guns.

There are a lot of myths concerning the 1911. One is that you have to buy an expensive one to get a reliable one. Not true. Just do your homework and you can find a solid gun for well under $800. Even the consumer grade 1911s (Remington, Springer Mil-Spec, Ruger) are great guns. Another myth is that you have to put money into parts to keep them running. Simply not true.

One reason to buy one is that it's the only handgun in existence to have shot down a Japanese Zero. That happened in the western Pacific when a Zero pilot was shooting as parachuting American airman. One pretended to be dead and when the pilot did a slow fly by to observe his handy work, the airman lifted his 1911 and took a shot. The Zero crashed with the pilot being ejected. He had a single bullet hole in his head.

1911s are a fantastic gun and most people would enjoy having one in their collection. We live in a great time as there are many choices out there for a 1911 buyer. One of my favorites is the new CZ 1911A1. It's a fantastic shooter right out of the box. I've got north of 800 rounds through mine since getting it in October and there has not been a single hiccup. I had a Glock 19 that could not get through a magazine without jamming until it was broken in.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    :)

57810264.jpg

images

DosEquisMan1911_zps67c34256.png

12545458_1655862494680639_919188396_n.jpg

Now I am a revolver guy...But when I shoot semi auto's they are 1911's....Because I think they are better? Not really....But I do think they scream America..

I like it when a weapon can scream America....

AR 15 Rifles, Lever action rifles, pump shotguns, 1911's and revolvers all scream America in their own way....:)

IMHO

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    If you have to be sold on one, don't buy it. I like them for my own reasons that don't translate to anyone else so the reasons I like my 1911's won't help you.

With that said, all of mine have been 100% bone stock and I've put a couple thousand rounds down range without issues. 2 springers and a colt 1991 compact. To me, NOTHING else feels right in my hand. The trigger is short and crisp. The safeties are operated without thought. They shoot well and, honestly, there's not a better looking handgun on the planet.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I want a 1911. They have a wonderful feel to them. And I like the history. If I had the cash, I wouldn't be able to think of a reason to not buy one.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Because they are just awesome guns and if you don't love them you aren't a real American. Don't need any of that Austrian Tupperware **** in this country :patriot:
    qoeNoMah.jpg

Merica'

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I/we do not need to sell you.
    Find a friend that has one and run it. It will sell itself.....:)

If not you have no soul.....:laugh6:

LoveMachine...........well, you know.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    cuz..'MERICA! That's why. How much more convincing do you need? :patriot:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The haters were quick to jump on this one. Why do you want one? Because they are the classic American military pistol that is just as good a choice for carry today as it was when designed over a hundred years ago. Shooting a 1911 is like shaking hands with Audie Murphy. The guns are well balanced and can have triggers that are almost as good as it gets. Even a stock, low budget gun has a great trigger when compared to most modern DA/SA guns.

There are a lot of myths concerning the 1911. One is that you have to buy an expensive one to get a reliable one. Not true. Just do your homework and you can find a solid gun for well under $800. Even the consumer grade 1911s (Remington, Springer Mil-Spec, Ruger) are great guns. Another myth is that you have to put money into parts to keep them running. Simply not true.

One reason to buy one is that it's the only handgun in existence to have shot down a Japanese Zero. That happened in the western Pacific when a Zero pilot was shooting as parachuting American airman. One pretended to be dead and when the pilot did a slow fly by to observe his handy work, the airman lifted his 1911 and took a shot. The Zero crashed with the pilot being ejected. He had a single bullet hole in his head.

1911s are a fantastic gun and most people would enjoy having one in their collection. We live in a great time as there are many choices out there for a 1911 buyer. One of my favorites is the new CZ 1911A1. It's a fantastic shooter right out of the box. I've got north of 800 rounds through mine since getting it in October and there has not been a single hiccup. I had a Glock 19 that could not get through a magazine without jamming until it was broken in.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^. They shoot like a dream, the feel in the hand is like no other. Its a fist bump with history. An M1898 or 1903A3 for just one hand

Top Bottom