• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Picked up a Glock 43 a few weeks ago. Today, I was finally able to go shoot it. First impression was how little recoil there was from such a tiny gun. After the first magazine, I dropped the mag and threw the next one in. Slammed it in and the slide stayed open. Dropped the mag and did it again. This was a 100% occurrence. Every mag change, I had to physically rack the slide. It's not a huge issue, but it was a new deal for me. Every handgun I've ever shot, I've popped the mag in and it dropped the slide on its own. Second "issue" was that after about the 10th magazine, it started to dig into my thumb knuckle. The roughness of the grip along with the numerous rounds I was shooting and the recoil created a raw spot on the knuckle, almost like when a blister gets ripped off. After a few magazines, I switched to another ammo and DANG! it was like I was shooting a fireball out of the muzzle. Got some great muzzle flash that wasn't there with the first rounds. All in all, I put 30 rounds through my Glock 19 and close to 100 through my G43. I'm not sure which I like more. :D

Any advice on either issue? They're not HUGE issues. Like I said, I can deal with racking the slide and the raw spot happened after the 10th magazine, so a self-defense issue would not create an issue for me. Just two minor non-issues that if I could resolve them would be wonderful.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I shot my new 43 last weekend too, and was very pleased. As far as slide lock...that's how it works...you have to manipulate the slide release, either with your thumb, or by racking the slide to allow the slide to close if it is in the locked open position. I suppose that on some semi autos, slamming the mag home hard enough is enough to cause the slide lock to drop and the slide to slam home on its own, and some may automatically cause the slide to drop.

But most are designed to stay open for safety reasons.

Old Reliable

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    My M&P FS 9mm would go into battery when I would throw a magazine in. I didn't like it, as none of my other guns have ever done that. Cost me a procedural on an IDPA stage once due to RO not believing the gun did that. I can see that if you are used to that, it could be tough to get used to not having it. As far as the knuckle... no idea we must not hold the same way. I have never experienced that.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    My M&P FS 9mm would go into battery when I would throw a magazine in. I didn't like it, as none of my other guns have ever done that. Cost me a procedural on an IDPA stage once due to RO not believing the gun did that. I can see that if you are used to that, it could be tough to get used to not having it. As far as the knuckle... no idea we must not hold the same way. I have never experienced that.

M&P's are known for auto chambering, my 45 will do it no matter how gently I put the magazine in.

I thought it was a neat feature but read it is not suppose to do it. It always has chambered the round so it does not bother me.

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Put close to 300 rounds between my two new G43s and had ZERO issues or failures. Love them. Never had a gun release the slide when inserting/slamming a clip in and I have plenty of handguns. Probably scare the **** out of if it did. Seems like a very unsafe way to get the gun to battery position. I would probably sell that gun if it did that. Just my $.02

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Like I said, every handgun I've shot did it and it's never bothered me. That's why it's a non-issue for me, just something different to get used to.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Like I said, every handgun I've shot did it and it's never bothered me. That's why it's a non-issue for me, just something different to get used to.

Odd. My Glocks only do it if I strike the baseplate hard with the palm of my hand with a slightly forward (toward muzzle) glancing hit. :dunno:

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    My experience with mine is the same. Had a chance to do some training with it last weekend. My focus was on mag changes. Because my attention was on training, I did not notice those other things. I still like shooting it.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    So I fooled around a bit, and if I slam the ever living crap out of my mag (hard enough it makes my palm hurt), I can get it to go into battery. A normal firm slam that fully seats the mag won't cause it to go into battery. I'd back off on the magazine slamming a bit there Hercules! :)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So I fooled around a bit, and if I slam the ever living crap out of my mag (hard enough it makes my palm hurt), I can get it to go into battery. A normal firm slam that fully seats the mag won't cause it to go into battery. I'd back off on the magazine slamming a bit there Hercules! :)

Try it again with a forward glancing blow.

I just played with my G19 and snap caps. It is considerably easier when the pistol is on its side. Upright, it takes significant force. Tilt it 90 degrees on its side and its easier.

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    Im used to using the thumb release. Ive never slammed a mag to autoload (on purpose). As far as the grip and such, I applied the Talon Grip rubber texture on mine and it was a world of difference for "comfort".

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It works great right up until it doesn't which with Murphy always hanging around, will be right when you need it most.

Agreed. And it is hardly comfortable to do it more than a couple times. If I did this as a practice, I'd get home from the range/competition/etc and have to ice my off hand.

I consider it a parlor trick, personally.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Put close to 300 rounds between my two new G43s and had ZERO issues or failures. Love them. Never had a gun release the slide when inserting/slamming a clip in and I have plenty of handguns. Probably scare the **** out of if it did. Seems like a very unsafe way to get the gun to battery position. I would probably sell that gun if it did that. Just my $.02

:+1:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Agreed. And it is hardly comfortable to do it more than a couple times. If I did this as a practice, I'd get home from the range/competition/etc and have to ice my off hand.

I consider it a parlor trick, personally.

Agreed. My FS M&P9 does this occasionally. I know it happens, but train as if it doesn't. I wish it didn't at all honestly.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Just remember, the slide stop lever(not slide release nor slide catch) is exactly that. A slide stop. The slide stop lever should not be used to release the slide. Continually using the slide stop will cause premature wear on the stop and it will eventually fail. The correct method is to manually rack the slide. By racking the slide, you will assure that the gun goes into full battery.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

Mine doesn't do it with the 43. On my 19 it does it almost every time, but I also give it a firm smack to make sure it's in. I'll try next time with backing off and see if it does it still.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Mine doesn't do it with the 43. On my 19 it does it almost every time, but I also give it a firm smack to make sure it's in. I'll try next time with backing off and see if it does it still.

I should have mentioned that it was on the G19 that I was able to finally do it with a really strong hit to the bottom of the mag. How many rounds are through the G19? I wonder if maybe the slide lock is a little bit worn, as mentioned in another post? Again, could just be the very firm seating of the mag, but might be an early indicator of a problem with the slide lock.

Poppy...I'm with you there...I use the over hand rack to close the slide, as it is common with other malfunction corrections for firing and feeding failures.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom